To be Extreme or Not to be

BGutzman

I have a good number of Extreme Shock 45 acp Enhanced Penetration Rounds. Any thought on how good they may or may not be for CCW in a metro area?

185 Grain, Velocity 1150 fps, Energy 543 ft lbs, if you can believe the advertising.

My concern is how well this round might do with heavy winter clothes and if the bullet penetrates the heavy winter clothes any ideas on its terminal effects.

I have had a hard time finding any reviews on this particular round. The advertising looks great but advertising doesnt take down a BG.

Thanks in advance.

qcpunk

If your rounds have the polymer tips I would think they should be just fine. If you're a "see it and believe it" kinda guy, you could always set up your own version of a penetration test. You also mention in a Metro environment, For this I would certainly stick with a hollowpoint, with or without poly tips, to minimize the chance of over penetration and collateral damage. I dont know if that helps ya out at all, but just my .02
Cheers

45_Shooter

My concern is how well this round might do with heavy winter clothes and if the bullet penetrates the heavy winter clothes any ideas on its terminal effects.

I have had a hard time finding any reviews on this particular round. The advertising looks great but advertising doesnt take down a BG.

Have you seen their website?

top_2.jpg

By their home page I'd say the ammo is likely very effective on Unicorns, Werewolves, and other mythical but occasionally problematic beasts.

I really like the red dot sight on the 'tactical' shotgun thing. Perhaps that's what I need; I keep narrowly missing the boogieman when he comes out of my closet and my 'tactical' shotgun blasts are really taking a toll on the drywall.

Although, if I was using their ammo I might get 'extreme penetration' and I don't know if I could handle it.

In all seriousness, this ammo is designed to fragment. These generally produce nasty looking but superfluous wounds that do not equal the 'stopping power' of even ordinary FMJ target ammo.

Last edited:

Caboclo

Gutzman, rig up some ballistic media and do some testing, and let us know how it turns out. I'm sure there are people on here who can offer all kinds of ideas on home made ballistic media. Or google "ballistic testing", you'll get hits on a lot of professional labs who will do it for you.

DasFriek

Of any of their products i think that particular round would work fine for its intended job.But i still wouldn't carry it in my ccw weapons.
$107 for a box of 50 lol

It is 185 gr and i dont doubt the fps,but being a frangible i wouldn't be surprised if it didn't fragment once it exited the barrel.It also could frag so bad once it hit you it wouldn't penetrate anything more than 2"
But it could work decently i guess,ive seen other stuff that i would say was worse.
Like the place doing 85gr .45acp rounds at 2000fps and some crazy 700energy rating.In all honesty i forget what the energy rating was,but i think im close.

MEATSAW

I have always laughed heartily whenever I read the following claim: "E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system." :eek:

Gotta give the marketing guys some credit for coming up with that!

I guess since you have them you should go out and test them. I am sure you are much better off with a proven design, though.

If you're worried about penetrating heavy winter clothing, you might want to look into Hornaday Critical Defense. They have a polymer ball in the tip to prevent debris (like clothing fibers) from clogging it and preventing proper expansion.

Uncle Buck

Guys, I do not believe Gecko45 would appreciate you mocking something that obviously would save the lives of thousands of mall rats should the terrible gangs ever try to over-run the malls. You just know he has these rounds loaded in his Super X45 D329 Maximum Death Patrol Pistol (With laser sights and a collapsible bayonet, in case he gets backed into a corner and is out of ammo).

I have seen these sold in a few stores and the consensus is pretty much the same among the guys I have talked to: Not worth the money. They sell them because people will buy them.

Most of the guys I talk with use a 'regular' hollow point, nothing fancy. Although they seem to lean more towards the gold dot stuff them self.

RT

I bet those fang face rounds feed great in a autoloader.

Here is the conclusions from the Box O' Truth:
The Extreme Shock ammo makes a couple of claims and we will look at the results. Please allow me to "paraphrase" some claims.

1. Claim: Their rounds are supposed to penetrate walls less than standard ammo.
Findings: The Fang Face penetrated 11 drywall boards, or over 5 interior walls without expanding or fragmenting. The Air Freedom round penetrated 4 boards, or 2 walls.

Less than a standard JHP round which penetrated all 12 boards, but still some penetration.

2. Claim: They are supposed to be able to penetrate a bad guy enough to be effective Stoppers.
Findings: Both the Fang Face and Air Freedom rounds only fully penetrated 1 jug and slightly entered the second jug.

This is equilivant of 3 or 4 inches of penetration in ballistic gelatin. Some experts have doubts that this is enough penetration to reach the vital organs of a bad guy.

3. Claim: They are advertised as worth their cost.
Finding: The cost for this ammo averaged about $1.85 per round, delivered. I see this as a big problem with "Specialty" ammo. We all know that it is very important to function test any carry ammo through your firearm. Who will or can afford to run 50 or 100 rounds of this stuff through a firearm to be sure it functions without a hitch?

Even if someone buys enough ammo to fill their magazine, it is unlikely that they will thoroughly test the functionality of the ammo.

I'm sure this ammo costs a lot to manufacture. Is it worth the cost? You be the judge. One thing for sure…..Shooting stuff is fun.

BGutzman

I definitely intend to test this out at some point this spring but given the pool of knowledge on this site I though I would see what the general though is?

I have a variety of type and at the moment I am carrying Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points (200 grain) +P which I think are quite reasonable given the LE usage.

I like the DPX Ammo but I fear over penetration (I live on the edge of Minneapolis) and the Gold Dot seems to be about idea. My preference is always for some sort of test and it sound like this one may well be on me, besides who can resist any reason to do practice shooting.

One must prep for the final zombie motherload :D

N.H. Yankee

Extreme shock to the wallet is about the only thing I see. I think if it was so supercalafragilistic the FBI, and every law enforcement agency swat team would be using it. I think this is just another lets make a catchy name, great claims and neat packaging and suck the consumer in invention.

It may very well work as advertised under controlled conditions,but the real world is anything but controlled and your results may vary. I'd save it for shooting rats in the cellar.

SPUSCG

"Good for gunfights at 30,000 feet"---Yeah, cause im allowed to bring guns on planes......Found a box at cabelas, said 100% of energy is transmitted to target when hit.....physics.....throwing a tennis ball at someone transmits 100% of the energy into them. I like the "anti terrorist rounds", seem they work better on terrorist than the normal jhps.