TNW Aero Survival Rifle

wachtelhund1

Just purchased a TNW ASR in 9mm. This is an interesting rifle. Barrels screw on and calibers can be changed by swapping the barrel, bolt, and lower trigger group. Calibers include .22 LR, 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 SW, 10mm, 45 ACP, and 460 Rowland.

I fired it today, shooting about 2-2.5" groups with my reloads in 7 degree weather. It takes Glock mags and mine came with a 31 round mag. Only thing I didn't like about it was the trigger. They say it comes with a 5# trigger, mine was more like 10#. I spend 5 days honing little by little each time and finally got it down to 4#. TNW sell a match grade trigger for $45.00. Suppose to be 3-4#. I've ordered one and see if it is any better.

Attachments

• TNW ASR.jpg
    TNW ASR.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 100

DukeConnor

I have the pistol version in 45acp. I love it except for the skinny trigger that iritates my finger.

It is definitely an interesting design.

10-96

Wachtelhund1- Thanks for posting that. I've got an itch for one of those in .45ACP or 10mm. At what distance did you get those groups?

wachtelhund1

10-96, Sorry I forgot to mention the distance. It was fifty yards. I was shooting resting on the back of my UTV. Not the best of a rest and it was very cold. I just wanted to fire it. I will fire it in the future off a shooting bench with a better rest. I also am thinking about getting a 45 ACP conversion.

scott56

I had one in 40 caliber for a short time-- factory 2 stage trigger was absolutely horrible. Sent it to manufacturer where they put in a "match" trigger , still horrible! Sold it for a loss- made buyer aware of the problem. If these were made to accept ar 15 triggers they would be a home run!

wachtelhund1

scot56, I can't disagree with you on the trigger. Fortunately the sear and hammer look very similar in configuration as the Marlin 336 trigger and is easy to lighten with a smooth diamond steel and dermal wheel. I lighten the hammer spring, polished the small hole where the spring sits and have my trigger down to about 3.5#.

TruthTellers

10mm sounds interesting, but I'd love a .30 Carbine model.
That'd be cool, but if a .30 carbine in something outside of the M1 was going to ever happen, it would have happened decades ago.

I think a 5.7x28 would sell tho and I'll never not want more guns in 7.62x25.

TruthTellers

I've thought about getting a 10mm one, but I still feel there's bound to be more options available in the future for a 10mm carbine and uses Glock mags. If it were a true AR I would probably buy one.

wachtelhund1

Just mounted an Athlon Midas Tsp4 Prism scope on this ASR. This is a 4x prism sight. Still waiting to receive the match trigger.

ballardw

That'd be cool, but if a .30 carbine in something outside of the M1 was going to ever happen, it would have happened decades ago.

I think a 5.7x28 would sell tho and I'll never not want more guns in 7.62x25.

I would think that with a 9mm bolt then a barrel replacement chambered in 7.62x25 should be an easy swap. Might want the 10mm mags to accommodate the Tokarev instead of 9mm mags though.

.30 Carbine in something other than an M1 did happen decades ago: Ruger Blackhawk's have been available a long time. The Taurus Raging Thirty also was available for a few years. I was too broke at the time or I would have picked one up.

TruthTellers

I would think that with a 9mm bolt then a barrel replacement chambered in 7.62x25 should be an easy swap. Might want the 10mm mags to accommodate the Tokarev instead of 9mm mags though.

.30 Carbine in something other than an M1 did happen decades ago: Ruger Blackhawk's have been available a long time. The Taurus Raging Thirty also was available for a few years. I was too broke at the time or I would have picked one up.
10mm mags wouldn't be long enough and the Blackhawk is a revolver, not a rifle.

taylorce1

TruthTellers said:

They did, Olympic Arms had an AR-15 upper. I just enjoy shooting the .30 Carbine and would love a differen and right sized platform to shoot it on. I thought Just Right Carbine was going to build it, but it never came about.