TiteGroup ??

Master Blaster

I have been hearing good things about titegroup powder
does anyone have any experience with titegroup??
what are your favorite loads for the .38 and the .45
i will be using 158gr LSWC for .38 and 200gr LSWC for the .45.

Thanks

Marshal

I am experimenting with Titegroup for .45 200 gr. LSWC (from Laser-Cast). I started with 4.4 gr, then went up a tenth until I got to 4.9 gr. They all seemed more accurate than the W231 load I am comparing it with. However, I found that in 50 rounds of 4.9 gr. Titegroup, I had numerous misfeeds and failures to go into battery in my Sig 220. I dropped back to 4.6 and 4.7 gr. Last Sunday I shot 150 or so half and half, and had about 5 misfeeds. However, I stupidly did not keep track of which magazine I was using when I had the misfeeds, so I'm not going to blame the load yet. One of my two magazines has a weaker spring than the other, so the next test will be with just the stronger sprung magazine. I have to say that the accuracy was definitely better than what I was used to, and I'm going to keep trying. It was fairly clean, but no more so than the 231.

I really enjoy the reloading, but I sure need to tighten up my experimentation procedures.

One question: I have been using the Lyman OAL for 200 gr. SWC of 1.235. A couple of acquaintances use 1.260 or thereabouts, and I have seen references to that length on these forums. I've also seen references to deeper settings. Am I seating too deep?

9x45

I have been using TiteGroup for over 2 years after switcing from Bullseye. It has about the same burn rate, but is much easier to clean up. Plus it's very cheap, I am only paying $96 for 8 lbs. I use 4.5grs behind a 230 Lead RN .45acp at 1.255" Goes about 825fps from a G21 with Bar-Sto barrel.

jtduncan

TiteGroup is an excellent large volume case like .45 ACP or .38 special. I love it in my 9mm and .45 ACP loads.

Plenty of load data nd great tech support for Hodgdon.

It's really fast so the pressure stays low but accuracy is great.

WESHOOT2

Both cartridges might respond better using W231 or Hodgdon Universal Clays.

Best:
45ACP - W231
38 Special - Universal Clays

Joey

I'm using 5.8 grains of titegroup with laser cast 250 gr RNFP bullets in 45 Colt.

So far this load is working quite well in our Vaqueros and Yellowboy.

tawakoni

Marshal, I have been pushing the 200gr LSWC with 4.6gr of W231 for about 11 years. It is by far my favorite practice load. It is accurate, mild, and reliable. I burn about 500 per week, mostly at paper but some steel action-targets out to 15yds. My ten-year-old Custom Colt Combat Elite has seen 50,000+ rounds and still looks new. All of my 1911's seem to thrive on this load.

I have experimented with the OAL, and hit a streak where I had many misfeeds and failure-to-go-into-battery problems.(I suddenly jumped from NONE to MANY). Like you, I blamed the magazines because it was almost always the last round that caused the problem, so I marked the magazines for replacement. I even ordered new ones (Chip McCormick's SS 8 rounders). The new mags are still in the unopened box because I seated the bullets down from 1.260 to 1.253. NO MORE PROBLEMS. IMHO 1.235 DOES seem a bit too deep, however.

Does ANYONE have a .45ACP load using W452AA and the 200gr LSWC and 230gr LRN?

fed168

I have just loaded up a batch of 170gr. SWCs in 10mm, will report when I shoot them hopefully tomorrow. I used 4.4 gr.

tawakoni

W452AA

Thank you FED168, thank you very much. I am anxious to hear about your test. I was beginning to think I had a large quantity of powder no one had ever heard of. :D

fed168

Tawakoni, an error in the previous post. My 10s are loaded with the Titegroup, not the powder you requested. Any error is mine.

fed168

Titegroup with the 10 was nice. Recoil was not too sharp or snappy, and easy to maintain another shot. Better yet, my brass did not fly all over creation. Accuracy was acceptable, keeping most in a 5 ring on a TQ 15 target.

tawakoni

WW452AA

No, fed168. The error was mine. I had no business mentioning another powder on this thread :eek:. I had opened a new thread on WW452AA just before Thanksgiving and had received no replies, probably due to the busy Holiday, and was a little over-anxious. I wanted a load to test at my weekly shoot on Thursday.

Thankfully, LIProgun replied to my original post this morning. He gave me a great deal of data from his personal experience. I'm a happy guy. :D