Titanium .44 Mag

shooter429

329pd

.44 Defenders from Garrett. Light, good balance, great power, nice sight picture, oh and did I mention light enough to carry all day :)

Shooter429

TexasSIGMan

Love my 329PD also. I bought it exactly for that kind of use.

It's not as bad as people tell you if you spend some time on the range with it.

I carry Silvertips in mine when I'm in country where I might need that much power.

For other areas, it's a sweetheart loaded with .44 Specials.

dairycreek

My son-in-law recently bought a 329 titanium. I thought that the recoil would be absolutely intolerable. Boy, was I wrong. While it is by no means a "piece of cake" when it comes to recoil it is not all that bad either. And, there is a plethora of 44 magnum "lite" ammo on the market so you can choose your level of recoil. It is a gooooooooooooood revolver.

WESHOOT2

hmmm....

I prefer the comforting heft of my 5.5" Redhawks........and I already have a 'hitch in my gettalong', so I guess I don't notice its weight.

22-rimfire

The Smith 329PD would be my choice. I wouldn't buy it if that is the only exposure you have had to a 44 mag revolver. But, they are relatively light and are easier to pack or carry in the woods.

Why do you feel you need a 44 magnum revolver for backwoods carry? Protection from what?

Waterengineer

It's a tough job

22-Rimfire:

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it. There is about a 99.9-percent chance that I will be spending 4-6 months conducting engineering and water quality sampling in the coastal streams of Alaska. :D :D :D

One of the questions I got at the interview was, "Have you ever had to deal with bear trouble."

I took that as a hint. :rolleyes:

In addition to "work", I will "need" to do additional water quality sampling with a long, thin thing with a string hanging from the end..........I'm an addicted flyfisherman, too, so there wll be some rattling around in the brush pursuing the salmon and trout.

-Craig

Webleymkv

Since you're out in the wilderness, there will be no need to conceal your handgun. A 629 Mountain Gun in a good hunting (i.e. flap holser on a nice wide belt) is not all that hard to carry and will be much more pleasant to shoot due to the all steel frame.

22-rimfire

Sounds great. I also do that kind of work. I'm sure you have read all the posts discussing the merits of the 480 Ruger, 460 S&W, and 500 S&W in the little 2.5" models. I would consider a 4" Model 629, but they are a bit heavy for regular carry in a holster. Me, I'd go with my 4" Model 57 (41 mag), but that is because I have one. I also have a 9.5" 480, but it is a beast as far as I'm concerned. It will probably rain a lot, so think stainless.

Waterengineer

Thinkin' and Thinkin' again

Webleymkv and 22-rimfire:

Yep, it's gonna rain and yep it goona rain some more.

I agree a 629 is a great gun - I already got a SS version.

I picked that up when I did a similar project in the Greater Yellowstone wilderness about six years ago. At that time we had horses, snowmobiles and stuff so lots of "extra" stuff could go along.

This time there will be considerably more walking. Every lb counts you know. That is why I was thinkin' Ti.

I agree that an all steel frame would be easier on the recoil but the actual need to "tap a cap" is quite small. Therefore, again the Ti, maybe.

The 629 will definitely be going to AK, as will the 12 ga.

22-rimfire you say you too are a hydrologist or something. What is it you do? Write me a PM.