Tips When Stopped by Police

Love the music that plays when Mr. Ayoob exits the cruiser. Tom Gresham carries a Taurus?

Solid advice on the video, but wouldn't this serve better in Tactics & Training?

Glenn Dee

From an old Police Officers point of view...

The video was ahh OK. I would also advise the person stopped should keep their hands on the steering wheel. Also that I'd wait until the officer asks for my licence before I started reaching into pockets. I know Gresham didnt produce until asked... but most of us keep their license in back pocket, or inside jacket pocket. Retrieving a license may mimic drawing the firearm. If your actually wearing one... It could be disasterous. I'm a big fan of sharing that information with the Officer before I make any moves. I believe that many people wear their firearm strong side as they do their wallet.

I'd advise to choose your words carefully. I'd say something to the effect of.. " Ahhh I'm sorry officer.. I didnt realize I did something wrong... Umm I need to let you know that I'm licensed to carry a FIREARM, and I have it with me."

Most cops just want to issue the citation and move along. Their attitude about yor firearm will differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction... For example an Officer in Florida may just yawn, and say yeak OK just gimme ya license... while an Officer in New Jersey may call in an air strike, and a SWAT team.

Once again your situaltional awareness will make all the difference in how you come out on the other end.

When ever I stopped a person with a licensed handgun I only wanted to see the handgun license... not the gun. But thats a street cop tactic.

Glenn D

Micahweeks

Dee nailed it on the head. Keep your hands at 10 and 2 and inform me about the firearm (not "gun") before you move your hands. I'll direct you from there. I'm in MS. It's legal to keep a firearm of any kind loaded in your car even without a permit, so don't worry about telling me about the permit. I wouldn't check it anyway. But, in other states, do it. Do it as general rule, just know here you might not have one and still carry a gun in your car and that it's fine to do that. Still inform me of the firearm. Don't hide it.

Last edited:

bitttorrrent

I'm in MS. It's legal to keep a firearm of any kind loaded in your car even without a permit

Wow, I did not know those kind of rules existed. Been in Chicago too long. I think the cops around here would run away if that was the law here.

MLeake

And yet the cops in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina etc all seem to do pretty well....

I'm not too impressed with the attitudes of some officers, that they should be the only ones allowed to carry. Guess they've never read the various identifiers of a "police state."

That said, most of the cops I know favor "shall issue."

It's the administrators and elected types who set the wrong tone, normally.

cracked91

Wow, I did not know those kind of rules existed. Been in Chicago too long. I think the cops around here would run away if that was the law here.

Always funny to hear that, seeing as the ones who would actually pose a threat to the officer aren't going to be too worried about whether or not carrying a loaded firearm in their car is legal or not.

Being that this is also the law here in AZ, I have always kept my hands at 10 and 2 and always said "officer, for your safety I want to let you know there is a loaded firearm in the glovebox/console" The two times I have been pulled over, both officers were very appreciative of me letting them know. One removed the weapon (glovebox), the other just told me to leave it where it was. Didn't get a ticket either time:D

Micahweeks

Cracked91 has it perfect. Personally, I have no desire to secure your gun. I just appreciate being made aware that it's there.

twobit

Good video. Agree with the above two posts (Cracked91 & Micahweeks). Key issue is do not surprise the officer either visually or vocally. Don't be digging around in the vehicle for your ID when the officer approaches. If it is night have your window down and your inside dome light on. As an officer first approaches your vehicle he is focused on spotting any threat to him before it can be used against him. Making things easier for the officer to rule out threats as he first approaches makes the whole stop go smoother.

I liked the part about not using the word "gun". To us "GUN" is an alarm word (has been for decades), especially between us and a partner, as they were talking about in the video.

In my area of the state (TX) we have Border Patrol checkpoints on roads near the border. These are not the crossing checkpoints but are within about 75 miles of the border (I NEVER go to Mexico).
When in my personal vehicles at these checkpoints near the border I do this;

* I have my identification out before I get up to the agent, so I am not reaching into my pockets while they are standing at the window of my vehicle.
*At night I turn the dome light on. The tinted windows are rolled down (all of them, day or night).
*Other people (if any) in my vehicle stay still and don't dig about under seats and such.
*I show them my identification and usually say something like this... "Hi, I am a Police Officer,... there are weapons in the vehicle and in the camper" (if I'm pulling my RV). Also If I am pulling my RV I will ask if they need to see inside the RV. Other applicable comments after I have identified myself might be "I am wearing a weapon" (I am not wearing a weapon)".
*A civilian could have his ID at ready, show your DL and your carry permit together, say "This is my firearms license, I am (or am not) carrying a firearm at this time ....or there is (or is not) a firearm in the vehicle at this time". They are looking for smugglers or illegals, but every contact starts with the phase of "Am I safe standing next to these people in this vehicle". Help them through this phase so they can conduct their business. They will ask if you are a US citizen and may ask where you are going. They have to do this hundreds of times a day at a checkpoint, so be nice and be helpful.

B. Lahey

It usually takes a cop a while to actually walk up to the car once they have stopped you, in my experience and area. So I tend to get things ready:

1. Put the car in park, turn it off.
2. Turn on the dome light.
3. Place license and other documents on the dash so I don't have to go reaching around to get them.
4. Keep hands on the steering wheel.

Then at the first reasonable opportunity I calmly inform them that I have a carry permit, and am armed.

The above procedure has worked out well for me so far (knock on wood).

youngunz4life

B. Lahey

to each his own, but I disagree with your methods. Turning off the car is ok + probably appreciated, but its best to just wait for the officer to ask for something- otherwise they might be unsure if you were hiding something and/or what you were doing. This is just my experience. They also have lights when needed, but I don't see anything wrong with the dome light being turned on by a driver. it is just my personal understanding that searching pockets, gloveboxes, or consoles for documentation is a no-go. I have known some to shine the spotlight or whatever and sit and wait to see if any of this stuff is happening or if the driver is leaving their hands on the sterring wheel.

Micahweeks

^

That is sometimes true, but mostly with new officers. Older ones do notice, but they've seen enough to know that people do keep documentation tucked away and don't get as spooked. As for Florida, I would still suggest informing the officer. You don't have to in MS either, but most everyone does because it makes the stop easier. If I see your gun and you aren't being forthcoming, I'm more likely to order you out of the car and secure your weapon. You'll get it back, but I won't take a chance if I think you didn't want me to know. That's the least I owe my family that would really like me home for breakfast. LEOs have a stressful enough job. If you can help them out and ease their minds, it doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated. And, it goes a long way to improving community relations. Officers are a lot more likely to be less stand-offish if the citizenry is helpful and supportive. They are not the enemy and don't want to be.

MLeake

I've had one experience with being pulled over while carrying, and it mirrored the experiences of my friends.

I informed the officer (though I did it at first by handing my my permit along with my license). He asked, "are you carrying now?" I said yes. He said, "Just keep it where it is, then." I said ok.

He ran my license, gave me a warning, and sent me on my way.

Seems to be the norm, at least if one isn't in Philly, Chicago, etc.

Pahoo

Excellent reply !!!

Officers are a lot more likely to be less stand-offish if the citizenry is helpful and supportive. They are not the enemy and don't want to be.
Well stated and thank you for your thoughts. When I first posted this, it wasn't to stir up a debate but to have a good starting point on what to do. LEO's have a job to do and the entire process works better with cooperation. Don't get me wrong, I've had my share of disagreements but they are few and far between. .... :)

Be Safe !!!