Tiny .22 survival pistol?

deadin

Probably one of the NAA Mini's, but you would have to get the rabbit or whatever to sit still so you could stick it in their ear or you may not be able to hit them.:D :D

Dean

Glenn E. Meyer

If by pistol, you mean a semi - then the small Berettas and Taurus guns. But they would not be good shooters except at very small distances.

If you mean revolvers - then the smallest are the longer barreled NAA minis.

They would work as a game gun.

XavierBreath

If what you intend to do is have a survival firearm to collect small game in an emergency survival situation, then you will need accuracy above all else. An inaccurate gun would be a waste of time, effort, and ammo, missing an animal you could otherwise trap.

In fact, traps are far more efficient for collecting small animals in a survival situation. Studying how to make traps, and perhaps carrying a bit of supplies so that you can construct them (or even a few rat traps) might be a better choice.

If I were to even consider a survival type firearm, I would pick one of the .22 caliber survival rifles instead of a pistol. You will have better accuracy. The Marlin 70P is an ideal rifle, breaking down to fit inside a rucksack. My Marlin 70P is accurate and reliable. If you have to have a handgun, then a standard .22 pistol such as a Buckmark, MKII or Ruger Bearcat in a flap holster is the way to go. Over time, during a hike, how you carry it makes more of a difference than the weight. You cannot reduce the weight of ammo.

Marlin70PPapoose.jpg

Last edited:

SpookBoy

+1 for XavierBreath about a rifle ,but dont forget the henry(it floats) fits everything into the stock.
survival_large.jpg

gb_in_ga

Lightweight .22lr survival type of handgun capable of taking small game? IMHO small isn't the answer, unless you are really intending for it to be a dedicated anti-snake gun using something like the CCI snake shot capsules.

I'd go with something larger, but with an alloy frame. The larger format gives you a longer sight radius which you will need in order to actually be able hit something the size of small game such as rabbits, squirrels, etc.

What I've got is pretty much ideal: A 6" barrel S&W 422. Decent accuracy (more than adequate for small game foraging), and the alloy frame means that it only weighs 21 oz. With an OWB holster it is easy to carry.

Here's an idea: If small game survival foraging is what you are really interested in, you might want to learn how to make snares. Cheap, quiet, weighs next to nothing, no ammo required.

Edward429451

I'll second the Ruger Bearcat. My BC has been responsible for taking more game (kill count) than any other gun I own. Countless squirrels & rabbits. You'll need to try different ammo in it yntil you find what it likes (shoots straight.)

The MK II is even more accurate if you can go that big.

GoSlash27

I think xavier and GB have the right idea. I have a mania for weight control in a survival situation. My first impulse was to look at wrist rockets but they proved too unreliable (surgical tubing breaks).
I think I need to learn how to build snares.

BobK

If it had to be a pistol, the Sig Trailside is very light and accurate. Otherwise the survival rifle as Xman said would be ideal.

TonyM1

Thanks to spookboy for the pic of that rifle; I'd never seen or heard of one before, and after to going their site and learning more about it...I'll be getting one.

deadin

Tony,
If you are looking for one of these rifles be aware that also were made in the '60s by Armalite as the AR-7 Explorer. (I think there was another company that made them for awhile, but the name isn't coming to me. I think it may have been Charter Arms).

Dean

TonyM1

Deadin; Thanks, good to know...is one preferable over the other? is the msrp of $215 a price one should expect to pay, or are significantly better deals in the used market easily had?

Mikeyboy

What the Military thinks

Your head is definately in the right place. A good .22 pistol makes the perfect survival tool. Link to US rescue and special operations unit website on the subject. They used everything from the Taurus PT-22 to a Marlin Papoose, but the seem to fancy S&W 22A or Ruger Mark II.

http://www.us-rsog.org/USRSOG-Firearm.htm

deadin

Tony,
I don't know if one is better than another. I had an Armalite years ago and I remember it had feeding problems, but that, like most .22's, may just have been the ammo I was feeding it.. As SpookBoy said, check Gun Broker or Guns America for what they are going for these days.

Dean

banditt007

if it is truely intended for survival, i would go one of those henry survival rifles b/c of its ability to back away in the butt stock and keep dirt, rain ect out of it, also it is light.

Snares and fishing is where its at.

When surviving you wont be able to run to the pizza store, so any energy you burn you are going to have to replace. If you use a gun you are going to have to be sneaking around stalking prey and burning energy. And you are only able to gather food when you are hunting.

with snares / funneling fish into an area you can sit down and make a bunch of snares set them up and they will work even while you sleep! not nearly as much energy expended. and their effectiveness rate over using a fire arm is tremendous especially since multiple snares and fish funnels can be set up.

obviously its nice to have a fire arm but its a mechanical device, you can carry a lot of wire/rope and fishing hooks to produce an enormous amount of game-getting devices for the same weight as a firearm, while at the same time not having to depend on a mechanical device.

:D

BlueTrain

This is not the answer to the question, though it is pointed in that direction.

I recall an article published around 1960 in one of the gun magazines of the time, probably "Guns." It was about some man who lived somewhere back and beyond, up in Canada. The article was mainly about his self-sufficiency but it mentioned a single shot pistol he had made for himself, chambered in .22 short. He clearly had his own ideas about what was useful to himself but it was definately small and light.

Yet another article published rather more recently (1990 or later) was about how one man who was a working trapper thought a Colt Woodsman, hard chromed or otherwise refinished, was his ideal along those lines.