Tinted Scope cap.. Purpose and positioning?

Mossy500

I just got my first rifle, just a .22, so i can shoot without going broke. lol... so i decided to get my first scope. Its a Bushnell scope, just a cheap one, and it has these covers that go over each end of the scope and are attached to eachother by elastic. one of the caps has a clear lense but the other one has a kind of yellow tinted lense. Anyways i was just wondering what purpose that serves and if the tinted or clear side is supposed to be on a certain end of the scope.

Regolith

Let me guess...Bushnell Sportsman? I have one of those on my 10/22.

The yellow tint is supposed to help with contrast. On mine, at least, the tinted one goes on the ocular of the scope (the eye piece or the end you look through).

Personally, I remove mine before I shoot. My shooting glasses are already tinted, and the extra lenses decrease brightness.

Mossy500

the Bushnell Sharp Shooter.. it looks like the exact same thing but it doesnt say sportsman on the packaging..

thanks for the info

Mossy500

i just looked at the sportsman zoomed in and it just looks a tiny bit different, looks like it has all the same features,, are you able to adjust how clear the crosshair is with the sportsman..
and it looks like the sportsman 3-9X32 is $20 more than this was. same 3-9X32 though

44 AMP

Staff
I may be wrong, but...

I always thought the purpose of the tinted lens cap was to let you know a) you still had the lens covers on, and b) let you get a snap shot through them anyway, if you needed it. Black lens caps tell you they are on, but you can't see through them, so if you needed a snap shot at close game, you are SOL.

Regolith

I always thought the purpose of the tinted lens cap was to let you know a) you still had the lens covers on, and b) let you get a snap shot through them anyway, if you needed it. Black lens caps tell you they are on, but you can't see through them, so if you needed a snap shot at close game, you are SOL.

Could be. I assumed that since it was a yellow tint, similar to those on most shooting glasses, the purpose was to increase contrast. The plastic lenses used are also very clear, almost as clear as the scope's glass itself, and the tint is fairly light. Kind of points to being designed to be used while still on the scope.

I've seen yellow ones before, like the Butler Creek flip-up ones, that were definitely not meant to be used while closed/on. The plastic was transparent, but somewhat foggy, and the tinting was too dark. With those you could get a snapshot off, but you would definitely want to have them off instead.

Last edited:

Mossy500

ya, on this one only one side is tinted and it is a light tint alot like shooting glasses, theres no fog to them at all

CPTMurdoc30

As my dad would always say when I asked a question.

"To make little boys like you ask questions".....

Not that your a little boy.