Tinted Scope cap.. Purpose and positioning?

Mossy500

I just got my first rifle, just a .22, so i can shoot without going broke. lol... so i decided to get my first scope. Its a Bushnell scope, just a cheap one, and it has these covers that go over each end of the scope and are attached to eachother by elastic. one of the caps has a clear lense but the other one has a kind of yellow tinted lense. Anyways i was just wondering what purpose that serves and if the tinted or clear side is supposed to be on a certain end of the scope.

Kreyzhorse

The scope caps will keep your scope lense clean while in storage.

While the caps are clear, I wouldn't shoot through them and would remove them prior to shooting.

noyes

scope lense filters. Block or highlight different types of light for better viewing .

yellow see better at dusk

put scope lense filter color x on scope to see (invisible light to human eye ) coming from night vision illuminator

Last edited:

Pahoo

Besides protection, pretty much what noyes said. Remember those glasses that are advertised on TV where the yellow tint gives you better vision in low light or hazey light. It also sharpens the image. You will see the same thing on flip-up scope caps and shooting glasses. In most shooting situations, you would remove them prior to shooting but while you are getting to your stand and just happen to get a shot, you can take that shot. If you look around the house, you will see an example of this tinting.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited: