Tinnitus remedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeNukem

I posted this link to an off the wall technique for reducing tinnitus over at The High Road and thought I'd post it here as well. I'm not convinced it works, but I'm not convinced it can't work either. Some people at THR say it worked or at least partially worked, others say it didn't work for them, and some think it's just the power of suggestion or a distraction.

It's simple and costs nothing but a few seconds of someone's time, so if anyone here wants to give it a try, here's the link:

http://health.learninginfo.org/tinnitus.htm

How does drumming your fingers on the back of your head heal tinnitus? What are this Dr.'s supposed qualifications? I see the web site in which the article is found also has some compelling articles on hair and skin care along with wardrobe must-haves.

SundownRider

I remember reading an article which said a cure was found by "restarting" the part of the brain that controlled hearing using electrodes. In essence, the brain was rebooted to previous hearing before the tinnitus.

Don't ask how they did it or how they figured out this was a viable procedure.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
In essence, the brain was rebooted to previous hearing before the tinnitus.
NOTE TO SELF!!! Do not ever fall for thus...
I would be "re-booted" back 20+ years to my teen times...
Mine have been ringing constant since I was in my mid-teens... Too much gunfire and too many hot rod open exhaust engines:eek:

Brent

DukeNukem

I don't know the mechanism by which the technique might work(if it really does even work.) Maybe it works by stimulating nerves in a certain way, something analogous to tickling the soft palate to stimulate the vagus nerve to get rid of hiccups.

Last edited:

ClayInTx

The correct procedure is to get someone who does not have tinnitus to hold a small CD with their teeth whist tapping the back of their skull. Getting your brother-in-law drunk and telling him he can’t hold a CD with his teeth whilst tapping the back of his skull might work. Promise more beer if he cooperates.

The person with tinnitus then holds the same disk with his teeth whilst tapping the back of his skull. It’s best to be knee-walking, commode-hugging drunk whilst doing this because that’s when your brain is totally out of gear and suitable for rebooting. Should be done in the bathroom with the doors locked and no witnesses. Respond to shouts of “Are you alright in there?” with, “I’se be fine and be out in a minyett er tooo-URP. Use the oother batterome!”

Do not tell you brother-in-law that you dropped it in the commode when you ask him to re-do it because it didn’t work. You might, also, wash off the puke first.

Tell your sister that you tried to get her husband to stop drinking but he just wouldn’t listen to reason and not to believe anything he tells her because it’s all a lie. Tell her that you got just as drunk trying to keep up with him so he wouldn’t feel bad and that he really does need help. Pay no attention to her telling you that you’re the one needing help.

Oh, yeah, if you used a music CD your tinnitus might now have a better sound to it.

brickeyee

I remember reading an article which said a cure was found by "restarting" the part of the brain that controlled hearing

Bovine Scatology

The cause of tinnitus from loud noises is physical damage to the sensory 'hairs' in the cochlea.

Pretty hard to repair them drumming fingers or "restarting" the brain.

Maybe you should consider electroshock therapy.

Last edited:

Japle

That's interesting. My tinnitus flares up from time to time and I reduce it by wearing my hearing aids for a few days. They don't really help me to hear better, they just increase the volume.

I tried the technique shown in the link. I didn't expect any help, but it actually did reduce the ringing significantly.

We'll see how long it lasts and whether repeated applications do any good.

Chris_B

Bovine Scatology

The case of tinnitus from loud noises is physical damage to the sensory 'hairs' in the cochlea.

Pretty hard to repair them drumming fingers or "restarting" the brain.

Maybe you should consider electroshock therapy.

Well, to be fair, the technique is unvarnished BS, but I do believe fully that SundownRider recalls reading that article

Chris_B

My personal feeling on this whole thing is that it costs me no cash to try it, it can't hurt, and all I have to lose is a ringing in my right ear

I just tried it. I know it shouldn't do anything -- but it did.

The results didn't last very long, but if repeated for a period of time as suggested -- who knows?

psyfly

Interesting thread.

As a neuropsychologist, I find I am immediately drawn to the Bovine Scatology hypothesis.

It is, however, an empirical matter and the research has not, so far, been adequately done.

I have had severe tinnitus since March of 1993 as a direct result of a single episode of firing a .357 magnum repeatedly w/o hearing protection and have found nothing that works.

Including a brief experience with the above technique (so far, two trials w/o any noticeable effect).

As noted above, tinnitus is, (as far as we know), always caused by physical damage to the hardware.

Not much way that the technique under review can change that.

Best of luck,

Will

Glenn E. Meyer

I wonder if someone proposed transcranial magnetic stimuli into the auditory cortex as the reset - but that would probably just make you temporarily deaf totally.

I thought it was fractured hair cells and they don't regrow in us.

Eghad

I have grown so used to my tinnutis It would bother me more if it stopped. The scary part is I might actually be able to hear the wife. :eek:

My fav T-shirt

My wife says I can't hear her or something like that.

I don't think this technique can restore damaged hearing. What's lost is lost. I suspect that, for those for whom it has some effect, what's actually happening is simply an overstimulation of whatever nerves it is that create or transmit the whining sound that we perceive as tinnitus.

Sort of like using a TENS unit to block chronic pain from things like shingles. Make all the neurons fire until they're all fired out -- then enjoy the silence while they regroup.

Glenn E. Meyer

Nice post, Sun - the new neuroscience is just awesome. Reminds me of the things that they are doing for phantom limb pain.

Neural plasticity - one of the new frontiers.

brickeyee

It is, however, an empirical matter and the research has not, so far, been adequately done.

And since you can never prove something is NOT beneficial (trying to prove a negative always fails) BS like this will continue forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.