Tin?

studman5578

So I called a local salvage yard to see if they have any tin for sale. They said that they do, I'd just have to go find it, and they'd charge 20c per pound. This sounds worth the trip if i can get only a few pounds, on account of the fact that I'd have to pay 18.00 per pound elsewhere.

My question is this, what forms would I find tin in in a scrap yard? I think i'll also keep my eyes out for type metals (monotype and linotype). What forms would these be in? I've only seen them in ingots online and for what i've bought for myself, but at this price, i think even impure stuff would be well worth the money. Any help?

Oh and i've tried asking them if they have monotype and linotype and their response was "Whats that?" So I don't think they'll be of any help. Thanks!!

PawPaw

When you ask them about tin, they might think that you're talking about salvaged roofing tin, or tin ceiling panels, which may or may not be tin. Hereabouts, if you're asking for tin, you're liable to get galvanized sheets of corrugated steel. Ask them if they have any babbitt, which is a metal used for making bearings. It generally has a high tin content.

Failing that, ask them where they keep the plumbing items. Old lead pipe is great bullet material. If they've got any lead wheelweights, those also have tin in the alloy. Remember, if it's plumbous, you can make bullets from it.

dahermit

Roof flashing is not tin, but pure lead. Lead pipes are pure lead also, but the "wiped joints" will be tin/lead solder. Radiator shops frequently have gobs of used lead/tin solder.
There are few sources of tin except the ones you have already mentioned. The plumber's term for pure tin is: "block tin".
Another, all-but-gone source of tin was the pipes used at one time is the old soda fountains that were popular with the bulk dispensed carbonated beverages. If you find any of that, it will be about the same color pipe as aluminum T.V. antennas. One other source is the tubes of things like toothpaste tubes. Now most are plastic, but at one time virtually all the squeeze tubes were made out of tin because the tin was soft and it did not chemically react with most other substances (that is why it was used in the soda fountain piping).
The problem with the word "tin" is that the word has come to used as slang for sheet steel, like, "tin roof", "tin can", etc. Unless people are bullet casters and have taken High School chemistry, they may not realize that "Tin" is an element on the periodic table and not sheet steel.

dahermit

Oh and i've tried asking them if they have monotype and linotype
And, sterotype, rules, foundry type. Most junkyards and people have never heard of any of the type metals save for linotype, and they generally use that term for any/all type metals.

dahermit

So I called a local salvage yard to see if they have any tin for sale. They said that they do, I'd just have to go find it, and they'd charge 20c per pound. This sounds worth the trip if i can get only a few pounds, on account of the fact that I'd have to pay 18.00 per pound elsewhere.
Before I made a trip there expecting to get tin at .20 a lb., I would verify that they are not refering to sheet steel as "tin". Ask them to verify it as not being steel by testing with a magnet... that will not tell for sure, but will rule out steel.

Hog Buster

The last true tin scrap I bought was years ago and was the plumbing from an old draft beer cooler. I doubt if you’ll find scrap tin in any junk yard now. Sometimes you can find scrap solder bars from a job overrun. They contain various amounts of tin, 50/50 etc. The amount is generally stamped on them.

Toothpaste tubes, linotype and most other tin bearing material are things of the past. Plus lead wheel weights are on their way out too.

studman5578

Thanks for the help

I figured it would be too good to be true. Depending on how much stuff I get done around here tomorrow, I might go do some prospecting. We will see. I'll try to find a magnet to bring with if I end up going, thanks for the idea.

I think i'll also call the local heating/cooling guys tomorrow to see if they have any leftover soldering material.

I'll update tomorrow if I end up going or not. Thanks for the information!

snuffy

My source of tin is mostly buying solder at the hardware store. Specifically lead-free solder that has a composition of 95% tin-5% antimony. Don't buy it unless the proportions are stated like that. The 5% antimony hardly matters, UNLESS you are alloying for a 40 to 1 or 20 - 1 lead tin mix for black powder cartridge guns. There it would still represent a tiny presence, but it can't be ignored.

Another source is roto metals here;

http://www.rotometals.com/Tin-Ingot-s/27.htm

Sometime flea-bay has tin ingots for sale, or up for bid. You have to be aware of the going price per pound, and carefully read the description. They should say what purity the tin is and if it's solder, the percentage of tin to lead.

For an example, this on fleabay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-LB-PURE-TIN-LEAD-INGOTS-SOLDER-BARS-SOLDER-TIN-SN-/160644933160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25672f2628

His description is hardly clear. 2 LB PURE TIN LEAD INGOTS,SOLDER BARS,SOLDER,TIN SN That could be just about any percentage of tin and lead. I sent him a question, we'll see if he answers. IF it's pure tin, it would work out to be around 15 bucks a pound + shipping, or just about what roto metals is asking with no shipping.

I just calculated ground UPS shipping would run the roto metals tin to $32.53 for 1 pound of pure tin.

studman5578

have you worked out the price per pound for the tin in the solder you buy at the hardware store?

I buy from rotometals in bulk (I actually just placed an order a few days ago for about 170$) so the shipping for me is free. I buy their superhard (30% antimony and 70% lead), mix it in a 1:4 ratio with the pure lead i have already, and add enough tin to equate to 2%, giving me a composition of 2% tin 6% antimony, and 92% lead. After its all said and done, my alloy works out to be $1.17 per pound. The tin accounts for a good chunk of this, even at it's modest composition. (I use this alloy for 9mm only, I diute it in 2 to 1 ratios with pure lead to get what I use for 45 acp).

I'm very happy with rotometals so far and I would recommend them to anybody who needs to buy their alloys. They shipped my order that i placed on friday about 2 hours after I placed the order. even Midway can't beat that!

snuffy

I just got an answer from the seller in the ebay link above;

"it is 99.99 pure tin i put lead in title so i can advertise in lead catagory but it is pure tin 100 sure please see video below thank you

Thank you,

Brian (Hostile570)"

So that would be a good place to get tin, at least now, at that price.