Time To Shoot The Second Amendment

WyldOne

I hope this hasn't already been posted. I just came across it: WOW.

Source

Time to Shoot the Second Amendment

It's time for the war on terror to take away our guns

Commentary, by John Aravosis

Now that the 11th innocent civilian has been mowed down by a sniper in northern Virginia, it's time for the Bush Administration to get serious about the war on terror.

Since September 11, the president and his attorney general have told us that we must give up some of our cherished civil liberties in order to stop the "evil ones" intent on murdering innocent American men, women and children. And while the White House has done a bang-up job of watering down the First (free speech and assembly), Fourth (search and seizure), Fifth (due process) and Eighth (excess bail and fines, cruel and unusual punishment) Amendments to the Constitution to further the war on terror, there's one Amendment they refuse to touch. It's the one that puts all those guns on the streets in the first place: the Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Now, I've never been much of an anti-gun nut. I worry about crime as much as the next guy, and particularly with the latest sniper scare in the DC suburbs, I admit that there's something comforting about the prospect of having my own gun. But there's also something comforting about knowing that my government can't tap my phone simply because they don't like my politics, arrest me in secret, keep me from seeing an attorney, or hold me indefinitely without ever charging me of a crime or going before a judge. But to date, I haven't spoken out about any of the infringements on those constitutional rights because I spent September 11, 2001 watching the Pentagon burn outside my living room window, and realized I had more pressing things to worry about.

About Poll
Should Congress Repeal the Second Amendment?
Yes
No
Not sure

Current Results

Is the Second Amendment a Suicide Pact?

It's been said too many time since 9/11, but rings no less true today: The Constitution is not a suicide pact. But this Administration seems think the Second Amendment is.

While the Bush Administration has been willing to infringe on the 1st, 4th, 5th and 8th Amendments to the Constitution, they have outright refused to do a thing about guns. Well, that's not completely true. At the same time the Administration's war on terror has been restricting constitutional rights across the board, John Ashcroft's Justice Department has actually been increasing the rights of gun owners. Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) explained this past May that:

"For over sixty years, the Justice Department has interpreted the Second Amendment as applying to those with a reasonable relationship to a well regulated militia. Now, in a stunning reversal of long-held policy, the Justice Department has argued before the Supreme Court that the Constitution broadly protects the rights of individuals to own firearms."

According to Schumer, this abrupt change in policy could hamper the efforts of prosecutors in every state of the union. (You can read more about this issue here.)

Ashcroft Refuses to Search Gun Record for Terrorists

The Bush's Administration's knee-jerk fear of doing anything to restrict the Second Amendment is having real-world consequences in the war on terror. The Washington Post reports that shortly after September 11, 2001, the Justice Department began searching the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) for the names of suspected terrorists (i.e., the FBI was comparing the names of suspected terrorists against federal gun purchase records). But that search was short-lived, according to the Post, as "Justice officials in mid-October (2001) ordered a halt to the effort, arguing that the search appeared to violate the federal law that set up the background check system."

But that excuse simply wasn't true. The Post goes on to report that on October 1, 2001 - a few weeks before the decision to halt the background check search - an internal Justice Department memo written by Deputy Assistant Attorney General Sheldon Bradshaw concluded that "we see nothing in the NICS regulations that prohibits the FBI from deriving additional benefits from checking audit log records" in conjunction with the Sept. 11 probe. The memo goes on to note that the FBI had used the NICS before in other circumstances, and noted that the bureau had used the NICS before in this way. (Read more about this issue here).

In other words, Ashcroft lied to protect the gun-owner constituency at the expense of the war on terror.

Nukes Don't Kill People

Which begs the question: Why didn't the Attorney General use the wealth of information in the NICS database to look for potential terrorists hell-bent on killing millions of Americans? Because the Bush Administration seems to believe that every amendment to the Constitution takes a back seat to the war on terror, except the Second Amendment. Why an exception for this one particular constitutional right, in the face of the greatest threat the nation has faced in 60 years? No answer - though the letters NRA come to mind.

While driving with a friend this past weekend in suburban Maryland, and making sure we pumped our gas in DC before crossing the state line, I thought of the pro-gun adage: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." And I wondered how President Bush and Attorney General Ashcroft would respond to Saddam Hussein if the Iraq dictator went before the United Nations and argued that there's no problem with rogue states having weapons of mass destruction because, after all:

"Nuclear weapons don't kill people, people kill people."

Putting Special Interests Before National Security

The proliferation of deadly weapons is as much a problem in Alexandria, Virginia as it is in Alexandria, Egypt. I'm not saying that we need to ban all guns or repeal the entire Second Amendment, but using the defense of the Second Amendment as an excuse to not search available gun databases for terrorists? That's criminally negligent.

President Bush recently accused Senate Democrats of worrying more about special interests than the security of the American people. Here's the president's chance to prove that he doesn't suffer from the same problem.

Go check out the results of the poll! HOLY CRAP! ROFL!

I love this guy's take on the Second Amendment, though. He says "Congress should repeal" the 2nd.

Earth to jackass.

Congress CAN'T repeal an Amendment!

Typical stupid liberal a******! Doesn't even understand how the process works.

Cuchulainn

What's bothersome to me about the Ashcroft argument this guy parrots from the VPC and the BCTBSG(FN)* is that he uses the violation of certian rights as a platform to call for the violation of other rights, as if it's unfair to leave the 2nd alone.

"Hey Ashcroft is attacking the 4th, 5th and 8th Amendments and not the 2nd. That's not fair. He should attack the 2nd too!"

As well, and maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't it seem as if he sees it as "our rights" vs "their rights" when it's actually "attacking 3 amendments" vs. "attacking 4 amendments"?

* BCTBSG(FN) = Brady Campaign to Ban Some Guns (for now).

Gary H

Is that a picture of this goof at the top of the page? He looks like he is someone who always responds "undecided" when polled, or maybe a Palm Beach voter.

Last edited:

glock glockler

The guy's a complete idiot, trying to use backward logic to repeal the 2nd.

So because the administration is infringing on rights A, B, and C, it is there fore ok to infringe on rights D, E, and F as well?

Ironbarr

Should Congress Repeal the Second Amendment?
Currently: NO - 92%, Yes - 7%, Undecided - 0%

Nor should (can-may-(weasel)) Congress INFINGE or otherwise suggest/influence others to INFRINGE RKBA.

When the "fan is hit", those without arms will be dependent on those with arms, I wonder how generous we (RKBA-ers) will be -and how many will be lost in defense of the "withouts".

They write books and make films of such things.

Sindawe

Fecal matter impacting on the air impeller

Well, if such should happen, the only ones w/o arms that I'll be worring about defending will be friends and family. But those will be REAL sparse, since 99% of friends have arms, and the family is way far away. If family wishes to migrate to my neck of the woods, they are welcome, 'cause I sure as heck ain't moving :D Not until I can move off planet.

For those that are w/o arms, at that point my reaction will be 'Tough Nuggies, this is the kind if thing I've been talking to you about for the past x years now. You dismissed me as a nut-case then, and I'm still a nut-case now. SEEYA!'

RickD

Here is what I wrote to John

uspolitics.guide@about.com

John,

The article "Time to shoot the 2A" appears to argue that to be fair, intrusions on some portions of the Bill of Rights means that other portions of the BoR should be intruded upon. Tit for tat mentality makes for bad policy, and is no way to defend the Constitution.

Many in the gun rights arena have said something like, "Once they take away the 2nd amendment, the rest will follow." I have responded, and you words and the situation with the Bush administration proves that they will take whatever rights they can, whenever they think they can get away with it.

You wrote:
"For over sixty years, the Justice Department has interpreted the Second Amendment as applying to those with a reasonable relationship to a well regulated militia. Now, in a stunning reversal of long-held policy,"

Sixty whole years, eh? Tell me, since this country is 215 years old, what was the policy before 1939? And why the switch then? And by what justification?

The poll associated with the article suggests that a mere Act of Congress can amend the Constitution. Sorry, it can't. Check Article V of the Constitution http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.articlev.html

I think that about covers it. If you have any questions, feel free to write.

Rick
Arizona