Time to buy a new big bore shooter

Which of the 3 big bore shooters listed would you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HiltonFarmer

It's that time of year that we'll be heading back into the bush for our usual hikes and rides and thought it prudent to pack a show stopper: a big bore shootin' iron. Basically for wildlife protection etc and allows me to not have to worry about stuff like that.

Recently, a survey crew fell into a bear's den during hibernation and the two person crew are lucky to be still with us depsite their injuries. I think having a big bore shooter might have kept the animal at bay. Hard to say but I think the odds would be in my favor :p

The reading of that story made me wonder that maybe my newly acquired 1911 in .45 may not be enough. So, I have narrowed it down to three revolvers: Ruger Super Redhawk in 44magnum, S&W .500magnum, and Tuarus Raging Bull in .454 Casull.

When you responded to the poll, why did you choose it to be the best big bore shooter of the 3? Feel, recoil, accuracy, natural pointer, price?

And away we go -

Thanks for offering - HiltonFarmer

jben

I just got the Ruger Alaskan in 44 mag, and think it's a great revolver for such things that you mentioned. Alot of talk is going on right now about the even bigger bores, but I think a properly loaded 44 mag is a very worthwhile option. Federal, Garrett, Buffalo Bore, and Cor-bon, among others, makes some very fine heavy weight cast ammo for many of the big bores, including the 44. I just think, that at least for me, the 44 mag is more manageable and makes alot of sense. jben

Desert01

Don't leave out the Dan Wesson Alaskan Guide Special .445's:

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=78

main078.png

You can can practice with .44 Specials and Mags, then pack the .445s

dave0520

No it's actually .445 Supermag. It can fire .44 special, .44 Magnum, and .445 Supermag. I'm not sure what the ballistics or availibility is like on the Supermag cartridge though.

fisherman66

cool, I musta fell asleep during that lesson.

44s - 44mag - 445s

similar to the 45lc - 454c - 460 (or is it 480) I can't remember.

I like this trend in hand cannons, but I'm quite happy with my 38s - 357 mag as big cats and hogs are the only things in my neck of the woods that I pack for. And the critters always run the other way.

rvito

I have a Raging Bull in 454-6" barrel and it is a very accurate gun and well made . check into the Raging Bull's in .44 and 500 Smith as well. I own these as well and they are great Guns. Double lock up too.

skeeter1

Feel, recoil, accuracy, natural pointer, price?

All of the above, IMHO, would tend to favor the .44 Mag Ruger. If you have a range that rents them, try them all. The .500 Mag S&W is much too heavy for me, and the ammo costs a fortune.

Taurus_9mm

I chose the .500 Magnum for the fun factor involved. :D Mine is a Raging Bull with a 10" barrel however. Perhaps a Smith or Taurus in a 4" configuration would be more suitable to your needs though if packing it into the brush over the longer barreled models.

I'd feel well served by any of the 3 choices but my personal preference would be the .500 . :)

Country

The New 4-Inch Barrel .44 Magnum Redhawk®

If it is too big, heavy and cumbersome you will find yourself leaving it at camp, that ain't good.

This New .44 Magnum, 4" barrel Redhawk revolver provides outdoor enthusiasts with the protection they need in a handy package, making it the perfect choice when trekking through the woods.

You can go here and read the PDF file Ad and specifications
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/N-NewProductInfo.html

I have a SS Redhawk .44 mag with 5 1/2 barrel and I really like it.

Country

Stainless Redhawk® Revolver
KRH-444

• This New.44 Magnum, 4” barrel Redhawk
revolver provides outdoor enthusiasts with the
protection they need in a handy package, making it
the perfect choice when trekking through the
woods

• NewHogue® one-piece rubber grip provides sure
handling and reduction of perceived recoil.

• Low-maintenance satin stainless finish.

• Solid stainless steel frame has no side-plates to
weaken its structural integrity.

• Features a micro-adjsutable white outline rear sight
and pinned distinctive red ramp insert front sight.

• The six-shot cylinder is positively aligned owing to
the Ruger patented triple-locking mechanism.

Ruger® 4-Inch Barrel
.44 Magnum Caliber Redhawk®
Caliber .44 Magnum
Model Number 5026
Catalog Number KRH-444
Frame Stainless steel
Finish Satin stainless
Grips Hogue® one piece rubber
Capacity 6 rounds

Barrel Material Satin stainless steel
Barrel Length 4 inches
Rifling /Twist 1:20 RH
Front Sight Red ramp insert
Rear Sight Micro-adjustable white outline
Overall Length 9-1/2 inches
Weight Unloaded (approx.) 47 ozs.
Standard Accessories Instruction manual
Gun lock
Suggested Retail Price $780.00
For more information contact your authorized Ruger Distributor or:
Sales Department
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc.
1 Lacey Place
Southport, CT 06890
(203) 256-3860

I could not get a picture to post, but you can see it in the pdf file link above. With .44 Special's it would be a good plinker too.

You could load UP with the Buffalo Bore
http://www.buffalobore.com/

Item 4D: 340 gr. LBT-LFN GC . (1478 fps / M.E. 1649 ft. lbs.)

NEW HEAVY 44 MAGNUM +P+

This new load is designed for only certain revolvers that have the cylinder length to handle it. They are as follows. Ruger Red Hawk, Ruger Super Red Hawk, Ruger Super Blackhawk or Vaquero, Freedom Arms Model 83, Taurus Raging Bull and Dan Wesson Revolvers.

The below velocities tell the story.

5.5 inch factory stock Red Hawk--1401 fps

These are the biggest that I have used in my Redhawk.
Item 4A: 305 gr. L.B.T.- L.F.N. (1325 fps / M.E. 1189 ft. lbs.)
(Big game up to 1000 lbs.)

jben

I agree with Country, that the 4" Redhawk would be worth taking a look at. There are several who have just bought them, that appear to be more than happy with them. The problem here is, all the suggestions are good! There are alot of good options out there currently. It makes it hard to decide, if you're like me. Too many good choices. I guess that's a good problem to have. jben

Out of those three...

It was a "no brainer" for me.

I am a huge ruger fan and a huge fan of the .44mag caliber.

Besides those three I might suggest a Ruger .44mag Alaskan or a S&W 629.

But I would say overall, just get you one of these babies and you will never regret it.

RugerBH.jpg

slow944

I have a Redhawk in 44mag and it's a fine weapon. I also know that out in the little podunk towns I can prolly find 44spl or 44mag ammo. Not sure about the 500 or 454.

azredhawk44

Ditto on the Ruger 44mag.

I have a 5.5" blued redhawk that I installed a gold bead front sight and V-notch back sight onto, and she is a freakin' tack driver. I'm extremely happy with this gun... the only thing that really truly needs changing on a redhawk for me is the grips to something with finger grooves and a skosh more fill to them. I put hogue hardwood monogrips on mine.

The new 4" model redhawk has me drooling. Were I to get one, it would be completely stock. The grips that come with it appear to be perfect, and the hi-viz sights fit my intended purpose for such a gun - rural and backcountry carry and fast sight acquisition.

I know it can handle every load I can find to put in it just as well as my current redhawk. I'd have complete faith in such a gun to save my bacon as long as I had put enough rounds in her to know how she shoots.

HiltonFarmer

I also know that out in the little podunk towns I can prolly find 44spl or 44mag ammo.

Good thought - something I hadn't considered but I'd roll my own anyway :)

Country

Do you own one and would it not be a brute to control with such a short barrel?

HiltonFarmer

jhgreasemonkey

Im for the ruger redhawk 44 mag. I have one and love it. the redhawk is less bulky than the super redhawk. Mine is 5.5" barrel but the new 4" would be nice also.

Country

Country

Quote:

HiltonFarmer

I really think it would be a super fine gun. I guess a person could have it ported, I don't think that would be necessary.

Hey HiltonFarmer, If you will buy two of them, we can check them out together ;)

It is really hard to judge things like this sometimes.

I have the Alaskan which is a .44mag with a 2" barrel and it is a creampuff to shoot in my opinion.

I also have the SBH with the 4.5" barrel and it kicks my butt.

I think it is mostly due to how differenty the two fit my hand.