Tilt-bolt rifles

Gunplummer

I was reading a gun book about French auto-loaders and came across something interesting. Apparently there has been arguments over the years about the origin of the carrier actuated tilting bolt lock up and where it first appeared. The author claimed France in the 1920's time period. Although not an auto loader, I would think the 99' Savage had a strong influence on the Swedish, Russian, French and FN semi-autos. Or, maybe it was just a coincidence that they all appeared around the same time.

jrothWA

Wouldn't the 6mm Lee-Winchester straight pull bolt action...

be the first tilt-bolt??

Just further engineering to reach auto-loading??

Gunplummer

I had to look that up, I never worked on one. Again, you get into muddy waters with the time period. It seems to have popped up at the same time Savage was producing the 1895 model. It may just be a matter of a couple people having the same idea at the same time. I was working on a heavy walled 45-70 (.458 case) and out of the blue comes the .450 Marlin. Stuff like that happens.

T. O'Heir

Kind of depends on what you think a tilter is. Single shot rifles used it long before semi's were heard of. The Hall Cavalry carbine was one. It could be argued the Peabody was the first.
The Krag–Petersson of 1876(Norway) used it in a bolt action too.