Tikka Time!

eviltravis

I took my new Tikka t3 varmint to the range today. Oh what fun. After zeroing the new scope I got with it I actually was able to shoot a couple of 1" groups at 100 yards. I was on a bench of course, but wow. That's pretty good for me. I've been of the, "Make up in volumn what you lack in accuracy" mentality for a while so I kind of impressed myself. All of my other rifles are Ar15's so this was a big change for me. I do have a question for the Big Giant Heads among us here. The rifle is chambered for 308 win. At the 100 and 200 yard marks I noticed almost no bullet drop with the 150 grain remington ammunition I was using, but at the 300 yard bench there was about 10 to 12 inches of drop. Of course the groups opened up at that distance as well so it's hard to tell just how much the rounds drop. Is there a bullet drop chart or some such that I can get my hands on easily?
Thanks
eviltravis

cansniper

I have to congratulate you on the choice of the gun.Tikka varmint is a very accurate gun and will serve you well. Of course at 100 yards your groups with 168 match ammo should be about .4 moa if you do your part.I belive you are shooting a hunting ammo, 150 grain, right? Get your self a federal 168 grain gold match ammo or do some reloading. Now for the 100to 300 stuff. As a general rule you can start with 1 inch formula.Zero your scope at 100 yards.At 200 you should see about an inch drop, and so on. But of course this is a very general formula and many precision shooters will tell you that some times it work and sometimes it doesn't. But this is a starting point.On one of my guns I have a springfield scope calibrated for .308 168 grain match ammo and the reticule has a bullet drop up to a 1000 yards.So far it works and I use it for a fast target shooting. You could go this way too.I hope this helps a bit!!!! :)

cansniper

It is a Springfield Armory 4x14 x56 scope third generation with range finder.Unfortunately dhey don't make them anymore, but you can find them sometimes used or on ebay..