Tikka t3x ?

rebs

Does anyone own this rifle in 223 ? I looked at one and it felt really good in my hands and fit me well. The only thing I find odd is its a long action why is it a long action when its 223 cal ?

taylorce1

Tikka only manufactures one size action, the just block magazines and use different length bolt stops. It keeps the manufacturing costs down to only use one length action. If you want a properly sized action for the cartridge then you have to go with something like SAKO.

NHSHOOTER

I have a T3 lite in 223, very nice rifle to shoot, very accurate, 1/2" groups at 100 yds , nice adjustable trigger. I didnt care for the synthetic stock so I put a boyds on mine.

rebs

I guess there are not many Tikka shooters on here. I was hoping t hear from more Tikka shooters

jmr40

I've had a couple of original Tikka T3's, not the lite version. Both were well above average in the accuracy department. I liked them right well, but had other guns I liked better and can't keep them all. I'd not hesitate to recommend one though.

My brother has one in 223. I've seen him turn in 2" groups at 450 yards.

603Country

I was having accuracy issues with my Ruger Hawkeye in 223, so decided to buy a Tikka 223. It wasn’t that easy to find one nearby, and since I finally solved my accuracy issue, I quit pursuing the Tikka. I wanted to handle one, but nobody had one. I had expected all the big gun stores to have one on the shelf, but no. They had Tikkas in all the big calibers.

NHSHOOTER

I will tell you, the accuracy of my rifle and all that I have heard is out standing, consistant 1/2" groups at 100 yds. I have never had a issue with the operation of my Tikka and I will say that I have fired no less than 1000 rounds out of it, as far as customer service, from what I read here on TFL the customer service is about non existent but since I have never had a issue I cannot attest to that.

taylorce1

Ask Wyosmith about them, I think he's had to fix a couple. Customer service is one thing from what I've read is pretty nonexistent.

Water-Man

I've had two T3 Hunter rifles for almost ten years. Both used for hunting and target shooting.

They've been the most accurate rifles I've ever owned and completely reliable.

I can't speak of Tikka's customer service because I've never needed to use it.

MrBorland

rebs said:
I guess there are not many Tikka shooters on here. I was hoping t hear from more Tikka shooters

Lots of Tikka fans here, but you asked about a specific one - the T3x in .223 ;)

rebs said:
I was looking to hear about accuracy, dependability and customer service

I have a T3 CTR in .260 Rem. The action's slick as snot, and the accuracy is everything Tikkas have a reputation for (see pics). The T3s use an aluminum recoil lug that's got a reputation for eventually bending, but I've got no dependability issues to date and I can't comment on CS, since I've never had a need for them.

I understand the T3x is a bit improved over the T3's (steel recoil lug instead of aluminum, IIRC), so I imagine they'd run rather well, too.

Tikka T3 CTR .260 Remington:
Tikka%20T3%20CTR_zpsq6ks0ql0.jpg

Best 200 yard group*:
Tikka%20Tiny%20Group%202_zpsfw5gducn.jpg

* edit: 3 shots don't represent a "group". That requires 5 shots minimum. But in this case, I happened to have loaded 3 rounds in the rifle simply to confirm zero. Just happened to produce a wall-hanger of a target ;). Also, no claim is made this is representative. After shooting a good number of 5-shot groups with different loads, I can claim it typically shoots in the .45MOA range at 100 yards.

100 yard keychain fobs:
Keyring%20fobs_zpss3igb6e0.jpg

Last edited:

Picher

I have two Tikkas, a .243 Win, T3 Lite and an older, wood-stocked, .223, 595. Both shoot sub .5 MOA, some loads will group even better on good range days.

The plastic bolt end-cap on the 595 failed, so I got a black aluminum replacement and it's fine. That rifle is over 10 years old and has seen a lot of rounds go through.

I'm trying to justify getting another Tikka, but don't really need one.

Last edited:

taylorce1

This was the thread I was trying to reference, it might be worth a PM to Wyosmith.

Is there any criticism of Tikka T3x.

Wyosmith said:
The Tikka bolt handles are dovetailed into the bolt bodies. 4 have come to my shop in the last few years that had the bolt body break at the dovetails. Not the bolt handle. The bolt BODIES!

In every case TIKKA refused to replace the bolt and they have absolutely NO warranty at all, and do NOTHING if the gun breaks and it's no fault of the owner.

I am impressed with TIKKAs accuracy and smoothness, but knowing the bolts can break and that they do NOTHING for the owner if they do, I recommend against ever buying a TIKKA

Tikka Broken Bolt!

I'm not trying to steer you away from Tikka, I think they are a decent rifle. They do have issues from time to time and you have to decide if you want to deal with Beretta for customer service if things do go wrong with your rifle.

Last edited:

ReloadKy

I am a Tikka shooter just not in the 223 caliber. I have a 7MM Rem Mag. The rifle shoots better than I can. I could get .800 inch groups with factory ammo and .397 with some of my reloads. I would recommend them to anyone.