Tikka T3x Superlite Carbon Barrel Options

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
So, I've got a Silencerco Omega 36M waiting in jail for a few more months.
In the meantime, one of my goals in buying the 36M was to suppress my T3x Superlite.
I was kind of hoping the stock barrel would be threadable... but alas, even a couple inches back at the start of the flutes the diameter is only 0.645" I considered different threads and an adapter, and other such solutions but by the time I do all that I'd probably be at 50% or more of a carbon barrel, so...

...this seems like a good excuse to put a carbon barrel on the gun. In all liklihood, it will actually be slightly heavier than stock, but only by a few ounces.

In any case, I am here for recommendations from the infinitely wise TFL hoardes.

Thus far, I have been considering Carbon6 and Proof Research.

Carbon6 has a distinct affordability factor, and yet I also know that they are essentially a subsidiary of McGowen. I already own 2 McGowen barrels and, honestly, they both shoot great. However, both times I have ordered from McGowen it has been very troubling process which took much longer than they said, with little or no communication, a few lies, a returned barrel and all kinds of fun.
Proof is... well, Proof. Expensive, well renowned in general but also with no shortage of detractors. Some even claiming that gunsmiths won't "guarantee accuracy" if you use a Proof barrel.

I also realize I may need a different stock... but that's a discussion for another thread. ;)

What say the denizens of TFL? Other brands, or fun options?

Technical details...
Tikka T3x Superlite chassis
New barrel will be 22" (or in that neighborhood) chambered in 7mm-08, 5/8x24 muzzle threads

taylorce1

Well, I think your math is wrong. Thread your barrel 1/2-28 and use an ASR muzzle brake or flash hider and you'll pay around $250 at the most. That's well below the cost of most steel barrels.

However, I'd want a 18-20" barrel and since you have flutes that means a new barrel. You're over on the western slope, I'd give Redhawk Rifles a call/visit and talk with them about CF barrels and having them installed. You might be money ahead to just buy another rifle since you think you might need a new stock.

Now for my caveat. I don't own any CF barrels, I've opted for steel as they can be as light or lighter than CF barrels of the same length depending on contours. They have always been more affordable than CF and much shorter lead times.

stagpanther

Maybe it's just my poor technique--I've shot a few ultralight modern rifles including carbon stocks and barrels and have found them to be "jumpy"--especially in high-power cartridges. Their main appeal seems to be with hunters that have a long slog in and out to their game as far as I can tell.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
taylorce1 said:
Thread your barrel 1/2-28 and use an ASR muzzle brake or flash hider and you'll pay around $250 at the most.

I considered that but it would require cutting the barrel back to just in front of the flutes too and being this is a 7mm rifle, even then would only leave 0.108 steel, besides having a shoulder of only about 0.07
I'm pretty confident that's not enough shoulder... besides that, while an ASR mount would be acceptable (the supressor comes with the ASR connector) it also adds some length (and weight, minimal yes) that a direct mount doesn't.
AND... that would mean that when I switch the suppressor from my other gun (which is already 5/8x24) I would have to either switch the direct thread for ASR or put an ASR muzzle device on that gun (more money).

stagpanther said:
Their main appeal seems to be with hunters that have a long slog in and out to their game as far as I can tell.

And they look cool.:D
But yeah, it's mostly weight for me, mountain hunting and all that.

taylorce1

I'm going to have to measure my Howa Super Lite .308 at the muzzle. It uses 1/2-28 threads and is lighter than your Tikka at 4 lbs 10 oz. My gunsmith is also confident with using 1/2-28 threads on a .308 rifle, if it was a .30 Nosler or RUM it might be a different story.

However, do what you're comfortable with. I use an ASR muzzle brake and flash hider on most of my rifles as it is easier than having to swap direct thread end caps when I want to swap between .22-.30 cal. You use rock set or red thread locker so you don't need as much shoulder.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I'm going to have to measure my Howa Super Lite .308 at the muzzle. It uses 1/2-28 threads... However, do what you're comfortable with. I use an ASR muzzle brake and flash hider on most of my rifles as it is easier than having to swap direct thread end caps when I want to swap between .22-.30 cal. You use rock set or red thread locker so you don't need as much shoulder.

All fair points.
It actually appears that Howa sells that gun in .308 with factory 1/2x28 threads.
I have a (at least locally) respected smith right up the road from me so I'll probably go inquire with him and see what he says.

I also see rumblings that the Howa Super Lite being available in 7mm-08 "summer 2023". I wonder if it will sell with a threaded barrel?
I really don't need another gun though. I don't shoot the ones I have now!:eek:

taylorce1

My Howa Super Lite measures 0.576 behind the thread protector. So if I'm doing my math correct, your Tikka should be close to the same. Again, not trying to dissuade you from a CF barrel just telling you there are more options.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I really wish there were stainless ASR options.
I don’t like a black muzzle devices on a stainless barrel. Important, I know.:p

stagpanther

And they look cool.
But yeah, it's mostly weight for me, mountain hunting and all that.
All the hunters that I know that are switching over to the ultralight rifles are old and overweight--sort of a "new fad diet" market appeal IMO. :) I haven't hunted with one--just shot them, and I'd guess the pressure to get the game on the first shot is even heavier cause IMO it's going to be harder to keep/reacquire field of view.

taylorce1

stagpanther said:
All the hunters that I know that are switching over to the ultralight rifles are old and overweight-

Careful, I'm starting to resemble that remark! :D

I'll be honest, I've put on weight since shattering my right leg resulting in an ankle fusion. I'm just not as mobile as I used to be. I also can't carry the weight I used to, so light rifles and light gear are a bonus. I move slower nowadays, but I can still cover several miles of a western big game hunt.

taylorce1

stagpanther said:
All the hunters that I know that are switching over to the ultralight rifles are old and overweight-

Careful, I'm starting to resemble that remark! :D

I'll be honest, I've put on weight since shattering my right leg resulting in an ankle fusion. I'm just not as mobile as I used to be. I also can't carry the weight I used to, so light rifles and light gear are a bonus. I move slower nowadays, but I can still cover several miles of a western big game hunt. Going slow and getting lighter gear is better than the alternative.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
stagpanther said:
All the hunters that I know that are switching over to the ultralight rifles are old and overweight--sort of a "new fad diet" market appeal IMO. I haven't hunted with one--just shot them, and I'd guess the pressure to get the game on the first shot is even heavier cause IMO it's going to be harder to keep/reacquire field of view.

Wow. With friends like that, who needs enemies?:D

You probably have a solid point with many of the uber magnum rifles that folks use but I'm only talking 7mm-08 here. Plus, I don't know if it's the design or the fit of the gun or what exactly, but this "super lite" Tikka is one of the easiest shooting guns I own.... and by all rights it should be one of the worst. 7-08 is the powerful cartridge I own (I know! Imagine!) and the lightest gun, by probably 20%, and the next heaviest is a .204Ruger.:D

stagpanther

My apologies, in the end it only matters to the individual user that they like what they use. I myself fit the "old, overweight" category--maybe i'm just jealous I don't have the money to spend on these newfangled things (or the skills to shoot them consistently and accurately).:)

taylorce1

No real need to apologize, I don't think either of us took any real offense to your comment. I've spent less than you think on my ultra light rifle, ammo and components has been a different story.