Tikka T3 Lite Barrel replacement

Scorpion8

I have a potential project involving a T3 Lite, with an "inaccurate" barrel due to bore damage. I have not handled the rifle yet, so am not sure what damage is involved. My bore camera will get its workout, am sure. However a few companies offer Tikka T3 pre-fit barrels, so the project could involve a new barrel in any caliber using a .30-06 bolt head.

Anyone done one of these? Is this like the old Adams & Bennet MidwayUSA "pre-fit/pre-chambered" barrels that were basically screw-on and headspace or finish-ream?

Depending on the severity of the damage, might fire-lapping help? I hesitate to "try" that first as it is spendy, uses a lot of powder (over 50 rounds) at today's high prices, and may not guarantee success. Of course a new barrel doesn't guarantee success either, but one would think it would be more possibly.

Thoughts?

taylorce1

Tikka seems to machine their actions with close enough tolerance that you can buy in some cases a shouldered pre-fit barrel with finished chamber and some do a barrel nut like Savage. So you will not get a short chambered barrel and have to finish ream on a lathe or by hand with a T-Handle. Just check headspace and go shoot, there are plenty of videos how to do the barrel swap.

With a Tikka you aren't limited to just .30-06 length cartridges. You can buy a .308 length magazine and turn it into a short action rifle by changing the bolt stop. Tikka only uses one length action, so if you can run .223 through .300 Win mag in the same action. All you need is the appropriate bolt face and magazine. J/A Outdoors is a pretty good source for Tikka parts. Prefered Barrel Blanks seems to be a popular place for Tikka batrels.

What part of SE AK are you from? I visited Petersburg a couple of time bear hunting.

jmr40

Depending on where the damage is you might be able to cut the barrel a bit shorter. IME most damage is near the crown. You may only need to cut 1-2" off. And that can be a DIY home gunsmithing project.

I ended up with 2 Tikka 308's. I cut 3" off one of them getting it down to 19". It shoots just as good as before and I have $0 in the project.

Scorpion8

Thanks. I should get a look at the gun tomorrow night at Winter Trap League, so I'll soon have many more questions.

deadcoyote

For an Alaska resident looking for a cartridge switch using a 30-06 bolt face it seems like a perfect opportunity for a .35 whelen build. Just my two cents. Unless you don’t hunt, then I wouldn’t go that way.

Scorpion8

Thanks, in this case I'd just be repairing for a friend. Not my rifle, or prospectively also not my rifle. Besides, I have a .338-06 that works just fine and a 45/70 for the mean stuff.