Tikka T3 lite .300 WinMag

Pointer

I am looking at this rifle for elk hunting...

I have heard they are especially accurate... (Sub - MOA)

Does MOA mean inside the 1 inch circle? Or is just cutting the line considered MOA? I'd really like to hit a dime every time at 100 meters.

Can the Tikka T3 Lite .300 WinMag produce inside-the-circle one inch groups or must I have a sniper rifle weighing 9 or 10 pounds for that kind of accuracy?

While I am planning on stalking to within 500 meters... I still want a rifle that has the capability of dropping a large bull elk cleanly at extreme ranges. (Perhaps 1000 meters plus) in that rare situation like across the Grand Canyon... :D ;)

Please don't recommend the .338 Lapua... that kind of recoil just isn't worth it to me. :eek:

Are there any bad things about Tikka I should know about?

Thank you for your feedback...I feel the heat already! :eek:

Last edited:

mt_dren

Saw your comment about no replies in another post...so thought I'd post.

My 30-06 tikka T3 will shoot sub-moa groups, but with me in the equation the setup produces 1" groups on average. I could probably try some other loads but it does well with 165 gr Sierra Gameking with 53 grs of H414 (ok so I tried some H380 but stopped at H414).

There are plenty of definitions and descriptions of MOA in previous posts if you search the forum or the internet.

I suppose it could if you found the right load and were a good shot.

500 meters is the closest you are planning on getting to elk? You should be able to get closer...starting to go on a rant but trying to stop.

1000 meters plus :barf:? Really? Please don't...How often do you practice at 300+ meters much less practice at 1000 meters?

I don't have anything bad to say about Tikka, it does what I need it to do and hasn't failed me yet (same with my remington and savage rifles).

mt_dren

Maligator

Bought my Tikka T3 Hunter in 300 WSM last summer. It shoots under 1 MOA right out of the box at 100 yards. I use Nosler 180gr accubonds and the rifle seems to really like them. I also use Nosler 150 gr accubonds for black bear. Again..rifle really likes them.

I will admit however that I had to put a Sims Limb Saver on it because it kicked like a mule every shot! :eek: I'm a pretty decent sized guy with lots of experience shooting but I would recommend the Limb Saver unless you enjoy punishment! :confused:

Pointer

Thank you all

I was under the apparently mistaken belief that if I had a rifle that could do the job at 1000 yds... it would be fabulous at under 500.

I never had the intention or the hope of getting or taking a 1000 yd shot... I consider that irresponsible to the extreme.

I like the advice about the Sims limbsaver... I will look into that ASAP...

My son and I just bought two Tikka T3's... 300 WinMag for me and a 30-06 for him.

We have a Nikon Monarch 4-16x 44? mil dot mounted on the 30-06 and I am researching for a scope to put on the 300 WinMag.

Thank you for the reload info... I will be reloading for both rifles. :)

hammie

It is my understanding that a minute of angle is the base of an isosceles triangle, whose apex is one minute of one degree. If I remember my trigonometry, then a minute of angle at 100 yards would be 1.0472 inches. Since the triangles would be proportional at longer distances, then at 200 yards, one minute of angle would be approximatly 2 inches, etc. A MOA at 100 meters would be 1.1452 inches, or 2.909 centimeters.