Tikka T3 .270 ... she kicks!

Jeffenwulf

I bought a Tikka T3 .270 a couple years back, but had never really found the chance to take her out. I fired a box of 150 grain with my brother last year, but hadn't even gotten her sighted in yet. I went out today with a few buddies to the range to rectify that mistake using 130 grain Remington Express Core-Lokt.

The results of the day were that I finally have her sighted in at 100 yards and my shoulder is killing me. I had said after the first time out that I was buying a limbsaver recoil pad. Well, I had the best intentions, but somehow never ordered it. I'm going to their website right after this to get one. This time there's no doubt.

A buddy of mine was shooting his 30-06 at a nearby table. I asked him to try her out to compare, simply because I had used .270s in the past and never experienced Mike Tyson punching me in the shoulder repeatedly. I thought maybe my estrogen levels were too high this afternoon. After one round, he quit and said it kicked twice as hard as his 30-06 using 165 grain (I think) bullets and he wasn't willing to continue. Another gentlemen signaled his willingness to try and was amazed at the recoil. When I told him I was only using 130 grain shells, he was even more amazed.

Simply put, I think the extremely light weight of the synthetic/stainless Tikka T3 along with the firm recoil pad contribute to excessive felt recoil. We only put 40 rounds through her today before moving on to the handgun range, but that was more than enough for me to think that I'm going to have a rainbow shoulder in the morning. It's too bad that none of the local stores carry the right recoil pad. I looked before heading to the range, but it's nowhere to be found locally. Thankfully there's the internet!

Any comments about how much of a wuss I am are welcome, but unless you're willing to fire a rifle that kicks FAR more than my 12 gauge, you might want to avoid the Tikka T3. Now that I've said that, I love the gun and I won't be parting with it. I will be parting with the stock recoil pad though.

-Jeff

T. O'Heir

"...extremely light weight..." Yep. A heavier stock helps absorb the felt recoil. It's physics. Add bullet weight and you add felt recoil to a light weight rifle. Change the stock. Put on a wood stock.

Charles S

If you are a wuss so am I. My Tikka T3 Lite kicks harder than some 300 mags I own. I do highly recommend the Limbsaver recoil pad, it really makes a big difference. If you reload I recommend the Caldwell led sled for load development, it really helps.

Good luck, I love my Tikka.

Jeffenwulf

Ah geez. Even with regular shipping the pad cost me $50. I know my shoulder will thank me later, but that seems a little steep for a recoil pad. Oh well, she's not going anywhere, so I guess it should be money well spent.

mccgsm

Uhm...this seems a bit overstated to me.

I have a 7-08 Remington 700 mountain rifle with a McMillan fiberglas stock and a Tikka t3 30-06 stainless lite synthetic stock. There's maybe 20% more recoil on the Tikka, but its about the same as my old M 70 Winchester in 30-06. If you're shooting from the bench, then 40 rounds is a fair bit to shoot. But get a PAST shoulder pad and you should be fine. My 16 year old daughter has shot both without complaining at all.

skeeter1

You're no wuss

Any comments about how much of a wuss I am are welcome

I've shot a .270 only once, with a steel but-plate, IIRC, and that's nothing to sneeze at. My 12-guage field double with the hard-plastic but-plate beats me up as well. The larger trap gun with the recoil pad that I had a smithy install is much more manageable.

If nothing else, get yourself a slip-on recoil pad. www.midwayusa.com and www.cheaperthandirt.com both have them for a few bucks. That might be all you need.

Jeffenwulf

Already waiting patiently for UPS to deliver the limbsaver, thanks for the suggestion though!

I might have to invest in a 16 year old girl's shoulder, because for some reason mine is complaining. I shall go beat myself with a tire iron until I toughen up enough to shoot my rifle.

trooper3385

I have a 270 that kicks like a mule on crack also. It's 6 1/4 pounds without the scope and it out kicks my 300 win mag and 7mm weatherby mag. I've had the gun for 16 yrs now, so it doesn't seem quite as bad as it did when I was 12 yrs old.

missoulaz28

Thanks for the incouragement:rolleyes:

I'm getting a 270WSM this summer in a TIKKA T3 LITE for a new deer gun.
Cant wait to see how it kicks, probably wont be any worse then my 300mag RUGER. But it should be a fun gun anyways.

Noonan

I feel your pain

I have a Winchester Classic 70 Featherweight in .270. I can't shoot it because of the recoil.

Kato_Guy

missoulaz,

I would suggest getting a new pad on that 270wsm!! I have that gun and between the light gun and that thing that tikka calls a recoil pad really hurts!! they might have just not have put one on there!! That limbsaver pad was the best thing I ever did to that gun!!

The gun is a joy to shoot now!!

My first time out shooting after I bought that gun I shot a box up and my shoutlder was black and blue then yellow for a week!! had to shoot it though!

kyle

Snow Dog

I shot a Tikka T3 Lite in 9.3x62 - those 286 gr pills really speak to you! That being said, it's not as bad as a shotgun with slugs. The thing about Tikkas and any other lightweight rifles - they are not intended to be shot from the bench. Try shooting from a hunting position (sitting, kneeling, prone over a backback etc.) to get a true measure of the recoil you would experience when in the field. Practice from the bench should be limited to sighting in the rifle, all other shooting should be hunting stance practice. Bench shooting with a hard recoiling rifle is going to induce a flinch that will adversely affect your accuracy.

atblis

Hmmm

I have a 695 with the synthetic stock in 270. One of the first things I did was take the stock off, and fill in all the hollow spots with epoxy and glass beads. It stiffened the stock considerable and made the gun much tamer. It's a great shooter, and personally the extra weight doesn't bother me. Heavier guns shoot better.

missoulaz28

itll have a limbsaver no doubt.
i put one on my 300mag and i can shoot that thing from a bench all day long now.

i wish that the manufacturers would just start using them

deer downer

i love it

Im 13 yrs old and my grandpa bought me a tikka t3 .270. I tell you its the best ever.But one very important thing, if your not used to high power gun do not start with high grain ammo. I am a gun finatic so im really used to all the power but my god. when i fired the .270 with 150grn ammo my adrenaline was rushing. This sun of a gun is packing power so be careful.all in all i would highly recomend this gun to all experienced hunters.

Longfoot

I am puzzled by this. I have a pre-'64 Model 70 in .270, and it kicks less than my Model 54 in .30-06, my pump-action remington .30-06, and my pre-'64 model 70 featherweight in .308. The only gun I have with less felt recoil is my .30-30.

No, I am not trying to be manly-man by stating this, I just can't figure why .270 Win. would kick so hard, regardless of the stock.

Charles S

No, I am not trying to be manly-man by stating this, I just can't figure why .270 Win. would kick so hard, regardless of the stock.

Weight.

I have a pre-'64 Model 70 in .270, and it kicks less than my Model 54 in .30-06....

And the Tikka T3 Lite weighs less loaded, with a sling, with rings, and a scope than a pre-64 Model 70 does unloaded, without bases, rings, and a scope.