Tikka reviews

onlybrowning

So I have been considering leaving my loyalty to Browning A bolts and trying a Tikka T3 in the stainless lite model because it is offered in .338 Federal (and I am not fond of the Ruger offering). I have now read a few reviews that do not exactly put it on par with my A Bolts. I have never handled one as no shops in the area keep them in stock. Anyone have a Tikka, or have any feelings on them. I am sacrificing a lot compared to my Brownings in my opinion. Cheap magazines, safety not in the same great spot, and 75 degree bolt lift instead of 60. The thing that is said positive about them is a great trigger. So, with that said, Let's hear it!

Kato_Guy

I have owned one for a few years and love it. accurate!! the trigger is great!! And the action is very smooth. If you get one I would highly reccomend changing the recoil pad the factory one is rather hard!! I put on a limbsavver recoil pad and its a joy to shoot (270wsm).

I do not regret buying it. It isn't as pretty as some of the wood stocks but a great shooter!!!

Buy it!!!!

OlderFox

Tikka Sucks

Bought a T3 Lite last year in 223

Problems...problems

1. Free floated barrel was not.
2. Ejector scarred case rims.
3. Pillar bedding was absent.
4. Customer warranty service does not exist.

I repaired or did whatever was necessary myself. Why? Because Tikka did not give a rat's a$$.

Cheers

Tbag

T-3 Big Boar, 300wsm, very light for walking and more accurate than I am, as nice as action as I have ever racked. Super Sweet trigger and completely free floated, and absolutly shoots better than M.O.A.. I am already thinking of buying a 243 Tikka for the cost of them new they are a bargin. Olderfox sorry to hear about your problems, you should have just sold it if you didn't like it and had all of those problems

essexcounty

A couple of years ago I was shopping for a synthetic spoter in 22-250 and bought the T3 as my .308 Continental Varmiter had been so accurate. My experiences have been entirely positive. I'm also a hard man to please. Very accurate, very smooth action and a great trigger out of the box. My most often carried deer rifle is an A-Bolt Micro so I have a good comparison. If you want a .338 Federal I'd say go for it....Essex

Snow Dog

I have two and could not be happier. They are light, accurate, smooth and have great triggers. Did I mention accurate? Below is a pic of a 5 round grouping that a bubby shot with his Tikka Varmint in 6.5x55 (same as mine). The rifle is stock right out of the box and using good handloads.

GroupP.jpg

Rustic

My 308 T3 Lite Stainless just does the job, no need for second shots. Really likes Black Hills match.

Downsides:
warmth of wood and luster of high polished blue are lost
ejection port is small, so manual loading more difficult
ridiculous money is asked for spare mags ($50+)
some feel the supplied scope mounts won't last

Upsides
bumps and dings of active hunting are shrugged off
action is stiff, barrel good, accuracy is all there
unloading is almost instant--open bolt, drop mag
lots of scope mounting options if you prefer
bolt is slick, trigger adjustable, stock is sturdy

Mine's a keeper, and my pretty guns are safe queens.

Great Wazoo

Tikka's are pretty darn good rifles.

I have had 2 of them. A .243 and a.308.

On the plus side:
Very accurate.
Strong stiff action.
Excellent barrel.
Great adjustable trigger.

On the minus side:
The T-3 lite's synthetic stock is very light and transmits alot of recoil.
The Trigger gaurd assembly is polymer. I can envision this part breaking twenty years down the road and no replacement being available.
The price of extra clips is ridiculous, especially considering that they are polymer.
The price of both the Tikka and Sako rifles has increased rapidly since Berretta took over.
IMO Berretta's customer service has not proven to be very good, I had one of the recall rifles and went through a silly run around getting the replacement.

When all is said and done I would still own another and I am interested in one in 338 Federal as well. If you get it post and let us know.

elkman06

Personally, I think if you love Brownings, buy more. That being said, I shot the new Tikka's older brother, marketed by Ithaca (73-79) for 30 yrs and loved it. When the new Tikkas came out, I couldn't wait to buy one. Bought the T3 lite, in 06. Excellent rifle. Every bit as accurate as its' predecessor with a few more bells and whistles like the trigger. As I see Rems and Rugers selling for similar money and Savages not far behind, I can't imagine not buying one. I'm confidently making neck shots at 200plus yds w/ my handloads. Doesn't get much better in my book.
elkman

drmiller100

>1. Free floated barrel was not.

wow. the stock touched the barrel???? Mine is a LONG ways off.

>3. Pillar bedding was absent.

wow. your's was missing the aluminum gizmo???? How did you fix it??? if your gun was missing the aluminum recoil lug, that might explain why it was resting on the stock!!!!

>4. Customer warranty service does not exist.

double wow. mine came without scope rings. i called tech support on the 1800 number, and they mailed me a new set of rings in a very timely manner!!!!!

USNairman

I wanted another varmint rifle and was considering either another AR or CZ 527 but after reading so much hype on the Tikka's I decided to try one. I'm glad I did!!! I purchased the T3 Hunter 22-250 a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. It is very accurate and has nice wood with neat checkering. The action is sturdy and very smooth and shooting it is a real joy. The trigger is is tight, well made and easily adjustable, it has no take-up and breaks very crisp - I think it is better than the trigger on my CZ's.
So to sum it up, I do not think you would regret buying a Tikka one bit. :)

atblis

This doesn't really help

I have an older 695 which I adore. Accurate, smooth, magazines feed great, awesome trigger. Would buy another one. The floor plate/magazine latch etc. is plastic. I wish it wasn't, but...

I kinda assumed the T3s were the same rifle just restyled a little, but from what I can gather they went a little overboard with the plastic. I don't know how they could do that because the magazine was the only thing not plastic that could have been made from plastic (which they now are). Dunno, some of the things I've heard have me second guessing on the T3. Cz is getting some strong consideration.