Tika 22-250 deal or not

BIG P

I have buddy that owns this rifle a Tika medium heavy barrel in 22-250 its in good shape about 200 rounds fired.I dont know the age of it has pretty wood stock no scratches has a simmons 6.5x20x44 scope.He says its to heavy for him He also has the sako in 22-250 so I get first shot at the tika.I'm a Remmy
guy and know nothing of a tika,was wondering if yall could give the tika a thumbs up or down.The deal is 600.00 rifle,scope,sling,hardcase,couple of boxes of ammo. P.S says its a real shooter under MOA.Let me know what yall think.:confused:

billnourse

You can expect 1/2 MOA groups with a good Tikka, and all of them that I have seen are good. The actions are very smooth, and the triggers are great. Rifle alone is usually 650 or more new. Sounds like your deal is good.

My son has a Tikka T-3 Lite in 30.06 that has never shot a group bigger than 3/4" with any good reload.

Bill

woodguru

Good deal, change the scope, the quality of the rifle warrants good glass.

The sleeper scope deal I have been using on different rifles is the Pentax Whitetail Hunter 4.5-14x, it lists at about $600 but can be had for $225 or so. It is the exact same scope as the Burris Fullfield II. It has crystal clear optics.

For .22-250 I have always liked 6-24x or even 8-32x on heavy barreled varmint models. A very solid 6-24x is the Swift Premier (not lower priced models) at about $225 internet priced. They are clear at 24x and have no edge distortion. At about $320 (internet) or so you can get into an Elite 4200 that is Leupold quality at a fraction of the price.

The rifle warrants good glass.

BIG P

Thanks Guys the scope is a simmons target high turret mil dot fine cross hairs
I never had any experience with them either.So I didnt know if it was a keeper or not.Will look to upgrade asap,IF it shoots .5 I'll be more than happy
with that.Never even looked at a Tika before it might be a nice surprize for me.
Thanks Ya'll

billnourse

In .22/250 and a heavy bbl. I think you can count on on the Tikka being a .5 rifle with the proper loads.

In my .22/250 I have been shooting 34 grains of Benchmark behind a 40 grain V-Max for 3950 fps. I recorded one 4 shot group of 1/2" at 200 yards. I choked on the 5th shot and threw a flyer that opened up to about .9". This was with a Remington 700 VS, and the Tikka is as good, if not better.

Bill

LanceOregon

If this is an older Tikka made by the original Tikka company, then you really have got an excellent deal here. They are often outstanding shooters, and very well made firearms.

Sadly, the original Tikka company went out of business. The brand name was purchased by Sako, and Sako now offers a low end rifle product line with the Tikka name on it. However, these rifles have numerous cost reducing shortcuts on them and are thus rather cheaply made. The original Tikka factory and the workers who worked there are no more. The new Tikka rifles are nothing at all like the old ones, and no where near the same quality.

So if this is an older rifle, you have really got your hands on a classic, and it would indeed be a good buy at $600.

For a low cost scope, your Simmons is not at all a bad scope. They are certainly reliable and work very well. They just are not going to be as sharp or bright as some more expensive brands. The Bushnell Elite 4200 is indeed a good quality scope at a decent price.

billnourse

The new Tikka's are indeed spartan, and do not come up to the cosmetic quality of older rifles, but the are still well made, if not as well fit and finished. They are smooth, very accurate, and have outstanding triggers.

Old or new, you will not go wrong for the price.

Bill