Tight chamber on sp101

arkie2

I've had my Ruger about 2 years now and recently it's developed a tight chamber. No matter what I shoot I have to tap the brass out of the chamber with a punch. At first I thought it might be fouled because I was firing 38spl (which I won't be doing anymore) but after a few thorough cleanings I still have the same problem.

A point of info. Several months ago I had what I would call a Kapop (a near Kaboom?) when I fired one excessively hot load. I had to back that case out with a punch. I chalked it up to a very tight crimp after I broke down the remaining rounds in that batch and didn't find any evidence of a double charge in the rest (5.0g titegroup behind a 158g LSWC). Like I said though the rounds were excessively crimped. I've been shooting the same titegroup loads plus 15.9g H110 behind 158g JHP. Doesn't matter though, the case always gets stuck.

Is it possible I've damaged that one chamber in such a way that it is now hard to remove the brass? My thought is the hot load expanded the end of the chamber slightly and now all cases expand to fit that chamber when I fire and that's the reason they're tight. Does that even make any sense? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Just wanted to add that I took some brass fired from the other chambers and they drop right in the chamber in question and come out with no problem. The brass fired from that chamber won't go back in without difficulty (I didn't try to push it in all the way, just tried to start it in) nor will it fit any of the other chambers. For some reason the brass in the chamber in question is expanding excessively.

Also the cases taken from the bad chamber measure 9.74mm diameter and the cases taken from the other chambers measure 9.61-63 mm.

Last edited:

Harry Bonar

Ruger

Dear Sir:
The simplest thing to do is send it back to Ruger - they're very good on warranty and they've never charged me anything.
Harry B.