Ticks!

Mainah

Up here in Maine Lyme disease is becoming a huge problem, and other tick related diseases are growing. I use the regular precautions, tuck my pants into my socks and a bunch of heavy DEET spray. Can anyone recommend good tick proof clothing, a body suit would be ideal.

JCNLexWMA

permethrin

Spray you clothes with permethrin. Kills tick on contact and should last 4 to 5 washes. Way better than deet.

globemaster3

Coming from a father who has 1 with Lyme, let me tell you that you cannot be too protected.

Our routine is deet, backed up with permethrin. I am also looking into tight-fitting undergarments designed to prevent ticks from making it to skin.

And after the day in the woods, complete body checks.

ZeroJunk

In the early part of the summer I get ticks on me pretty much every day. Luckily the ones around here are the larger ticks and easy to see. I check myself carefully a couple times a day, especially my hair. My understanding is that they have to be on you 24 hours for Lyme to be transmitted.

My wife has been fighting it for about 4 years. At one point she could not even get out of a chair without help. Now she takes about 20 medications a day. Four different antibiotics, on one week, off two weeks type thing. Something to break down the biofilm, something to kill what comes out of it.
I don't think you ever really get rid of it.

mete

Be very careful with children !!! NEVER spray these insecticides on children ,only clothing.there is research showing that Permethrin is dangerous to the kids .
I'm still working on my Lyme. The bacteria is a difficult one to diagnose as it will mimic other diseases. As a spirochete it's difficult to treat .doxycycline and recifren are used but if you have it a long time special treatment may be necessary.Gov't, insurance , and medical 'profession " is harrasstng docs who want to specialize !! Hope you catch and treat quickly .LOnger you have it more difficult it is .It's spreading quickly. The hot spot is in the lower Hudson Valley but now it's in the SE, marching across Ohio. etc !! Take it seriously !!:(

Deerhunter

Off / Deep Woods Off is good to spray on cloths and legs for a last minute protection against bugs/skeeters/ticks.

If you have the time to plan ahead get permethrin. NEVER spray it on your skin, if you happen to get some on you while spraying cloths/boots wash it off immediately. Never spray cloths while wearing them and also...it will kill cats until it is dry so if you have a cat don't let them near the boots/cloths until completely dry. It will last 5 or 6 washes on cloths.

Here is a couple links to some quick use stuff

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=32484706
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12327289

If you have the time google "permethrin" and there are large bottles that you can buy (more cost effective) and mix yourself. You can either spray down the whole article of clothing or use gloves and a stick to soak them in a bucket/bin

Doyle

Another answer is sulphur powder. Get fine powdered sulphur and mix it about half and half with unscented talcum powder (that keeps the sulphur from clumping) and put it into an old sock. Dust yourself with that before going into the woods. It is totally non-toxic (unlike Deet) and repells ticks and chiggers.

You can get both items on fleabay.

buck460XVR

As someone who has had Lyme disease and lives in an area where it is very prevalent, I advise you to use whatever you can to keep the little buggers off you. This includes your children. There are many "kid safe" products out there that work. Ticks respond very well to insect sprays and lotions, as compared to mosquitoes and gnats. When considering the risk of the repellent, you must also weigh the risk of getting Lyme's if you don't use it. You do not want your kids, or yourself to get it.

rainydayshooter

I hate bugs! Especially ticks.
I'm sorry to hear all that have gotten diseases from them.
I haven't used any special bug spray, but will check out permethrin,
and thanks for mentioning it.

Personally, I always find them on my legs, so manned up and started wearing pantyhose.

loknload

And what irritates me about this whole situation is the fact that the Feds or the individual states are not doing anything to eradicate this insect!
No matter how many people are getting sick nothing is being done.

Doyle

And what irritates me about this whole situation is the fact that the Feds or the individual states are not doing anything to eradicate this insect!

Are you actually serious or are you joking?

mete

He's serious !!! The Feds , insurance , and medical establishment harrass doctors who want to specialize in Lyme treatment .I was given names of two docs who specialized-- called and found both had just quit Lyme business because of this. Here in the Hot spot of Lyme [lower Hudson valley] one doctor said lyme has nothing to do with the heart !! FACT , it can affect the heart in many ways .Another said 'If you get Lyme it's forever ' NOT TRUE if treated properly !
If you get it you will have to deal with ALL these factors !!:mad:

Doyle

Mete, you are talking about treatment. Loknload was talking about the gooberment trying to erradicate an insect. That is a WHOLE different matter. It's not only not going to happen, it just isn't possible. If it were,they would have done it years ago with fire ants - who's financial impact is in the billions every year.

rainydayshooter

Not so sure. Oxitec was trying to get approval in the Keys to release GM mosquitoes which were raised on antibiotics for generations, weakening their immune system so they would die off. There was a big debate over it, then silence. I don't know if they released them or not.

hartcreek

4 species

Last I checked Lyme was carried by 4 species if tick so eradication aint gonna happen. Use deet and once you get back inspect or take a nice hot shower. I take a shower and then dround any that are left with a soak in the hot tub.

Mainah

Ticks now carry several dangerous diseases up here. They're no joke, and there's no shortage of controversy related to Lyme (Google Plum Island). I just want to stay safe while I'm culling the deer herd.

I might get some Guinea chicks this spring. I hear they eat ticks all day long and also serve as good alarms.

Thanks for the Permethin feedback. I've been wary of it for years, not a big fan of chemicals. But it sounds like the best solution if applied and used correctly.