Thumb Safeties

Skeets

Member in memoriam
I really need your help.For.months I've thought about replacing my proven Ruger lc9s with a new Pro model.I bought the Pro but now4 weeks later,it's still in the box.I've carried Glock's and have 50 years experience and never this indecision.Please help,TIA :D

TailGator

I am not sure I am clear on your question or your need. Are you saying that the absence of a thumb safety on the new pistol bothers you, even though you're accustomed to Glocks?

marine6680

The ruger should be just as safe as the glock is for carry. If you can handle a glock for carry, then the ruger should be fine.

MFitz

I think the question is:

Can I feel safe carrying a weapon without a thumb safety?

Answer: Yes.

tipoc

So the Ruger LC9s and the LC9s Pro are the striker fired version of the LC9. The LC9s has a manual safety while the pro has no external safeties.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9s/features.html#

Maybe the op should have gone with the LC9s rather than the Pro? Or he can learn to work the Pro.

His call based on his/her skills.

Did they phase out the LC9 altogether? That was a the dao hammer version.

tipoc

Skeets

Member in memoriam
Try to clear up

Sorry,did'nt mean to cause confusion.But you have helped me see the problem.All my pocket carry has been DAO autos or revolvers. The safety on the lc9s is putting me in my comfort zone! Your help is much appreciated. :D

Skeets

Member in memoriam
A-1Problem Solvers

Yes you are! Seriously,wish I'd known about TFL a long time ago. Once again thanks! :D

Wishoot

Skeets- I think as long as you treat the gun as being loaded and ready to fire at all times (as you should with any firearm), you should be fine. Just keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire (as you should with any firearm).

I have guns with and without a safety and they are all treated with caution and respect.

RickB

I think manual safeties are more valuable as a means of preventing someone else from shooting your gun (at you), than as a means of keeping you from shooting yourself.
The location and operation of manual safeties are somewhat proprietary to each gun, and if it can keep someone momentarily befuddled while trying to figure out how make the gun work, that's a good thing.

power5

I have no problem flipping any of my safeties off while drawing and find them just slightly more reassuring than no safety for those times when I may not have 100% attention. I know shame on me to have possibly more than 1 thing on my mind when removing my gun or holstering my gun. I take much care when holstering but the added safety is appreciated at times. I have 100% concentration when I draw to fire so the "extra" step of flipping the safety is no burden. If I fired any sooner while drawing I would be limping by now.

mavracer

funny I was so excited when they brought out the pro as i mostly pocket carry in my left front pocket, i gave my LC9 to my dad.