thumb break or finger release

rickdavis81

I'm looking at a new holster for my 1911 5". I want OWB with some sort of retention for when I'm on my bike. I like the Bianchi Carrylok but I also like the Bianchi Shadow II with the thumbbreak release. Will the thumbbreak slow down a draw much faster than a finger release? What are your opinions?

CWPinSC

I've used thumb break, but don't like it. I prefer a friction hold.

Practice with it and you'll be ok. As you move your hand down to your weapon, let your thumb slide between the straps. It will naturally open the snap and allow you to get a "fighting grip" on the butt.

I generally don't like the "Serpa" type holsters. They're too bulky. For me, the less holster, the better. As you reach for your gun, you have to find that release catch with your finger. Maybe it's a natural reach, but I don't know.

For people engaged in a lot of physical movement, I understand the desire for a positive retaining method. However, I can turn my Fobus Kydex upside down and shake it violently and my 25 oz. gun stays right where it should be.

45Gunner

Don Hume makes a pretty decent leather holster with a thumb break retention. If you train with it, it becomes very easy to unsnap.

I also like the Blackhawk Serpa Holster. Same deal. Train with it and it becomes a natural function.

Best advice for carrying is not to cheap out on a holster. Doesn't mean you have to spend a small fortune and wait six months for it either. Buy something that will accomplish what you want and practice with it until it becomes a second nature thing to use.

Mueller

When I carried a 1911, I used either a Don Hume H726 Semi open front thumb break Holster or the Older 711 Agent C&L Hooded thumb break (I don't think it is made anymore) but they make the conventional 711 Agent.

They are well made holsters and served me well.

Check them out at Gunner's alley, they tend to be cheaper than from Don Hume and I have had no complaints about service.

www.gunnersalley.zoovy.com/product/H726/Hume-Semi-Open-Front-Pancake-Holster-H726.html

www.gunnersalley.zoovy.com/product/AGENT711/Don-Hume-Agent-711-Belt-Holster.html

The time loss with a conventional thumb break is minimal, as long as you put the time and effort into training yourself in it's use until it becomes second nature.

EdInk

I prefer tension holsters. However, if you want somekind of extra safety, look into the Serpa holster.

ATW525

Will the thumbbreak slow down a draw much faster than a finger release?

No. The main difference is in reholstering. Most finger release holsters lock automatically, thumbbreaks have to be snapped.

Personally I prefer a good fitting holster over extra retention features, but when I need the extra retention for a specific purpose I lean towards the thumbbreak. This is mainly because the only finger release holster I have direct experience is the Serpa and I found it conceals about as well as taping to brick to your hip.

The Great Mahoo

rickdavis81 said:
Will the thumbbreak slow down a draw much faster than a finger release?

I tend to avoid retention straps for conceal-carry, beyond a well-fit holster. However, for on a bike, I could see it being a good idea.

I have 1 holster with a thumbreak, a Galco something or other for my 625 Mountain Gun for in the field carry. I like the retention of it, and for the most part, it is not slower. That being said, I do have to take care to keep my finger in place to ride the strap out of the way on the draw, else the strap catches in the nook under the hammerspur, getting stuck. Not a big issue, unless you forget, but it does take that extra second for you to get a combat grip on during draw. Still, I prefer those over SERPA style holsters, as I don't care for encouraging your finger to be near the trigger, allowing for a slip up and accidental discharge. If it works for you, great, but I will minimalize my risk factor and stick with a nice leather holster.

dgludwig

I prefer a retention strap on a holster for almost any mode of carry. And I'm a big fan of thumb-breaks. Maybe my le background unduly influences my opinion but I want my handgun to stay put, no matter what. Holsters that depend on a friction-tight fit might do the job most of the time but a well-designed retention strap does the job all of the time.

Practice and good training techniques will result in a draw from a good thumb-break holster that does not compromise speed in any meaningful way. Our bi-annual qualification course required the shooter to draw from a snapped thumb-break, concealed under a sport coat, and fire two shots (hitting the kill-zone on the target, of course) in under two seconds. With practice, it wasn't that difficult. Could the draw be accomplished even faster with a good friction retention holster? Possibly, maybe even likely. Would the extra milli-second faster draw make a difference in the outcome of a "show-down" confrontation? Not bloody likely. At least not likely enough for me to trade the extra security afforded by a retention strap for a less secure set-up.

Last edited:

rickdavis81

I have the don hume open top for my xd and am a big fan of it. And I've never lost one on a bike yet, yet being the key word. It may never happen but it always concerns me. Does anyone have the Bianchi shadow thumbbreak. It says to be ultrahigh ride. Which would be great under a leather vest or jacket. Do you agree? Thanks for the opinions. And do you have any trouble with the straps getting caught in the trigger guard or anywhere while one hand reholstering on a thumbbreak?

treg

Will the thumbbreak slow down a draw much faster than a finger release? What are your opinions?

Pracitce drawing with whatever holster you choose and it will become second nature, just like your safety.;)

I've used an Uncle Mikes Mirage for almost 3 years of rough duty now and it shows almost no sign of wear.

I wouldn't trust a friction fit to hold my gun in a rough situation (bouncing horse, bicycle wipeout, etc.).

Last edited:

Mueller

I got into the habit of having my thumb resting on the hammer face of my 1911 (applying pressure), when reholstering and my index finger along the frame just above the trigger, this way the knuckle pushes the snap and strap clear and should the safety get switched off and the trigger depress, because the strap got into the trigger guard, my thumb is holding the hammer and I can stop and withdraw the pistol before a discharge can occur, friend does the same thing with his SIG 226.

imthegrumpyone

I prefer not to do all that thinking while drawing or " fiddling" around rehanging my gun. I use a "Clip draw" SOB works fine for me. :D

rickdavis81

I ordered the Bianchi with the thumbbreak. Oh, and a new belt. Apparently it shrunk over the last couple of years:D. THanks for the advice and help.

dgludwig

You did good. And I've also noticed that the belt makers have either been trying to save on leather or there's just a rash of mis-marked sizes out there now. :(:eek:

Dwight55

dgludwig & rickdavis81, . . . you bring up an interesting point.

I make leather holsters and belts as a hobby/business and am always looking for a new market.

Do you suppose there might be a market for say 40 inch belts that are marked as 38 inch, . . . or maybe 38 inch belts that are labeled 34 inch?

Just wondering, . . . :D

And, . . . yeah, . . . rick, you probably did good. I make mostly molded tight holsters, without any retention (mostly IWB) but occasionally I get a call for a thumb break. I had one once, it is the only retention device I personally would even consider as it is a natural motion to slide your thumb between the two pieces and break the snap's hold as you begin to get your grip on the weapon.

May God bless,
Dwight