three legged doe.

eastbank

i shot this three legged doe, when i first saw her she was walking with a limp and i could not see her legs as she was in knee high brush,i though she was gut shot and shot her.when looking at her later,i saw the missing leg. it was all healed up and had been missing for some time. if i had known that i would have let her pass. eastbank.

Last edited:

Kreyzhorse

I think you did the right thing, even if you didn't know it, by shooting her.

I'd guess she was born with three legs. I can't imagine any way she could lose a leg in the wild and survive.

mete

Actually they can do fairly well with three legs at least unless there aren't many coyotes around. I saw one that had no sign of ever having the forth leg .

Pahoo

Some how, they manage

Actually they can do fairly well with three legs at least unless there aren't many coyotes around.
A number of years back, we "Harvested" a doe, during bow season in Wisconsin. She had the upper part of her front leg and an adnormal growth on on the stub. Looked like it had been that way for a long time. She was getting around just fine. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

eastbank

bones were broken off fairly clean,just a few splinters. there was a small punturce,like she hit in on a sharp stick while running sometime before,but it was healed over nicely and would have not killed her. we do have yotes here and they may have gotten to her deeper into winter. eastbank.

Gunplummer

I have shot two "Stumpies",(one front, one rear) and my buddy, a butcher usually gets a couple in every year. Most are heal overs from previous rifle shots. We have never seen one with that much of the leg missing. I always thought above the elbow and gangrene would set in because of the meat above the elbow.