"Threat Silences Voice of Gun Control"

Brent

http://blogs.timesunion.com/underfire/?p=61

June 24, 2007 at 10:08 am by Robyn Ringler
Dear Readers,

At least one of you is an irresponsible, harrassing criminal who shouldn’t own a gun. For the second time since I started advocating for sensible gun legislation, I’ve received a frightening threat and called police.

The following is an essay I wrote about a threat I received shortly after 9/11. It was published by the Albany Times Union on September 6, 2002.

The third of October, it was just 22 days after September 11, 2001. Reaching into the mailbox, I pulled out the usual: bills, junk mail, and magazines, along with one personal letter, its return address simply: Rosie O’Donnell. In the kitchen, I slit the envelope, pulling out a piece of torn paper. Cold blue capital letters jolted me:

YOU FILTHY DIRTY BITCH! COMMUNIST JEW! YOU’LL
NEVER TAKE OUR GUNS AND WE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE

I ran from room to room, locking windows and doors. Scanning the yards, I saw no one, but imagined men with guns lurking in hidden places.

I wondered who could have done this. More to the point, who could have misinterpreted me so completely? True, I was a gun control activist, but I also lived on thirty acres of rural property among friends and neighbors for whom hunting was a way of life. I took pride in myself as a voice of reason—someone who understood the gun tradition yet knew the value of gun control laws in saving lives.

As a member of a NYS gun control group and founder of its upstate chapter, I fought for laws requiring safe storage, background checks, licensing and registration—not banning guns. But that didn’t matter. Whoever sent the letter wasn’t interested in my position. He just wanted to silence me.

Though the police reassured us this was the typical work of a bully who probably would take no further action, my husband and I were shaken and wondered if I should quit my gun control work. After a few phone calls, we discovered that, although my organization had never received a threat, many other gun control groups often had. Most workers courageously stayed on.
I, too, hoped to find reasons to stay. I had a lot to say because gun violence had affected me. In 1981, I was assigned to care for President Ronald Reagan at the George Washington University Hospital following an assassination attempt.

When I first saw President Reagan, he looked startlingly different from the image of the rugged cowboy I had seen on TV. Instead of a plaid shirt and Stetson hat, he was swaddled in a hospital gown, his face covered by an oxygen mask. He lay on a stretcher pushed by nurses and Secret Service agents. His anguished wife was huddled at the top of the stretcher, cradling his head in her arms.

The first several nights, the disoriented president had a raging fever and trouble breathing. We mobilized into action—monitoring vital signs, chest tube drainage, and blood tests, administering chest physical therapy and intravenous antibiotics. But we knew by his prostrate body, colorless face, the perspiration trickling into his dark hair and the sound of his labored breathing, there was a real possibility the president might die.

I wondered how this could have happened—how did the shooter get a weapon with his history of mental illness?

Later, I often saw James Brady (President Reagan’s press secretary, gravely injured in the same shooting) wheeled into physical therapy by his wife, Sarah, the bulk of his body slumped to one side, his wide eyes seeming to be the only part of him left living.

Nineteen years later, in May 2000, I returned to Washington, D.C. to attend the Million Mom March. I cried as mothers and wives told stories of senseless shootings: a son killed in a fight over his jacket, a daughter shot in the library at school, a first grader shot in her classroom by a six-year-old.

Determined to do more, I joined the gun control group. Everyday for three weeks, we demonstrated at the NYS Capitol. Elation consumed me when a landmark package of gun control laws was passed. I worked harder—giving speeches, passing out literature, and lobbying lawmakers, at the same time, forming close friendships.

A year and a half later, I stood in my kitchen, looking at the letter. I was convinced that whoever sent it heard a speech two days earlier in which I argued that families should think carefully before bringing a gun into the home. A three-year-old child in Virginia had killed himself with a loaded gun specifically bought to protect the family from terrorists.

On the news that night, a local TV station played snippets of my speech juxtaposed against the commentary of patrons from the Pistol Parlor. The broadcast was like a boxing match with words: first me, then them, then me, then them. I had been televised before, but never like this. It seemed likely that the media report—and, perhaps, the fear generated by September 11th—prompted the threat.

Three days after I received the letter, a member of my group called with news that a gun control activist had been murdered. Tom Wales, the president of Washington Ceasefire in Seattle was deliberately shot and killed in his home. No one knew whether the shooting was related to his outspoken views on gun control.

I informed the FBI and state police of the death in Seattle. The officers sounded grim and, this time, offered no reassurance. An FBI agent questioned whether killing gun control advocates might become the new equivalent of bombing abortion clinics. I welcomed the state police’s decision to begin night patrols of my home.

The murder gave my fear a link with reality. With no way to evaluate the seriousness of the threat against me (the police investigation turned up no fingerprints or other evidence), I made the difficult decision to quit my job.

I wondered how other activists could be so courageous as to simply walk into their workplaces everyday or even open the mail. Awed by their bravery, I felt they should be honored because, unlike me, they refused to quit. Seventeen cold blue words typed across a ripped page, sent by a person who hoped he would achieve this exact result, stopped me. And yet I have not been completely silenced. I have told you what happened.

Brent

That's interesting... someone posted a comment suggesting that she should buy a gun to protect herself instead of tying up police resources. Then someone deleted the comment.

Redworm

People like that, especially bigots who throw around the words "communist jew", do far more damage to our gun rights than the antis have any hope of doing. Bigots, racists, nationalists and the simply ignorant need to be shunned by responsible gun owners. The only people who should be fighting for gun rights are those of us that realize why gun rights are important: to defend liberty.

Groundhog

If you scare the sheep, what ever you scare them with (or about) ends up being evil. Always gonna be sheep. Always gonna be people that scare them. Pray they stay in the minority and work to keep it that way.

SecDef

If you scare the sheep, what ever you scare them with (or about) ends up being evil. Always gonna be sheep. Always gonna be people that scare them. Pray they stay in the minority and work to keep it that way.

Yep, that's how we got into Iraq.

44 AMP

Staff
I would like to speak to her, but

After spending some time reading all through her site, every comment section was "closed at this time". She sounds somewhat reasonable, but then, so many do, at first.

She does have some factual errors in her writing, and did correct one of them, so I believe she would be willing to correct others, if only we could talk to her.

I will try again another day.

gc70

She sounds somewhat reasonable, but then, so many do, at first.
Her essay sounds more like the script for a B horror movie.
I ran from room to room, locking windows and doors. Scanning the yards, I saw no one, but imagined men with guns lurking in hidden places.
And she is paranoid enough to envision herself the target of a national conspiracy.
Three days after I received the letter, a member of my group called with news that a gun control activist had been murdered. Tom Wales, the president of Washington Ceasefire in Seattle was deliberately shot and killed in his home. No one knew whether the shooting was related to his outspoken views on gun control.

I informed the FBI and state police of the death in Seattle.

obxned

"Tom Wales, the president of Washington Ceasefire in Seattle was deliberately shot and killed in his home. No one knew whether the shooting was related to his outspoken views on gun control."

Of course his murder was related to his views. He told the whole world he was defenseless, which is about like wearing a 'Kick me' sign.

Redworm

applesanity: precisely! the need for gun ownership has nothing to do with hunting or scaring off bad guys. those are just bonuses

Guns are for defending life and liberty from tyranny. Anything else is secondary.

Wildalaska

People like that, especially bigots who throw around the words "communist jew", do far more damage to our gun rights than the antis have any hope of doing. Bigots, racists, nationalists and the simply ignorant need to be shunned by responsible gun owners. The only people who should be fighting for gun rights are those of us that realize why gun rights are important: to defend liberty.

Ditto redworm, although I wonder if she made it up.....

Shows what anti gunners think of gun owners.....maybe its time we made sure we stop giving them the fuel for their stupid generlizations

WildnaptimeAlaska

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Wildalaska said:
Shows what anti gunners think of gun owners.....maybe its time we made sure we stop giving them the fuel for their stupid generlizations
Which, if one really cares to read the sticky I wrote, says the same thing. I'm just more long winded than you are! :cool:

Pepe

About gun control

OK, first of all, whoever sent you that threat is an A-hole (period). However, for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would be for gun control and here's why:

Remember the Columbine shooting? The students were not allowed to carry guns so the shooters when on a rampage knowing full well that they could kill a lot of people before the cops got there.

And this latest shooting where 33 people died ... remember that? Well, it was a gun free zone in that University so the shooter knew very well not to go shooting in a cop-shop or an NRA meet, he when where guns are not allowed to do maximim damage.

But do you remember the other 6 shootings which occurred between Columbine and Virginia tech shooting? Of course you don't remember those.

You see, 6 other shootings in public places occurred and you probably never heard about any of them .... why? Because 33 people didn't get killed, in fact the shooter got stopped by armed citizens before he could do too much damage. In one school shooting, the shooter only killed 2 people before others stopped him and confined him in a corner at gun point until the cops got there.

You can make guns illegal all you want, it's not going to stop brutality. The criminals don't care that guns are legal or not, in fact they count on you not being armed when they attack you. Gun control only takes the guns away from lawful citizens while leaving the cops and the criminals armed to the pits and frankly, I don't trust either one of them.

In Switzerland each family has to have a government issued gun, they have to know how to maintain it and shoot it. there is no need for a Swiss military, nobody would be dumb enough to attack the Swiss people..... why do you think that is?

When you give the power to the people, you get Woodstock, when you give it to the gubment, you get Waco .... this says it all, no?

What pisses me off is that the cops tell me that if I get robbed or if a thief holds up my store, I should just hand over the money, it's not worth a life to loose a few bucks.... and besides, it's the cop's job to look after my safety.

The freakin' cops take my guns away and now that I am defenseless, they suddenly decide my safety and my right to defend myself belongs to them ..... no ****! They freakin' turned me into a sitting duck! Hypocrites!

Once he took power, one of the very first thing Hitler did is take the guns away from the citizens ..... doesn't that tell you something?

The right to defend me only belongs to me, the right to look after my family only belongs to me, not the cops.

I suggest you move to Canada where gun laws are extremely strict, you'd think that there would be no mass shootings there, right? Well, there are about 1 tenth of the amount of hootings we have here in the USA, so now you think "Great, let's regulate guns like Canada does!"

Only, there are 30 million people in Canada and 300 million people in the USA. So per capita they have just as many shootings as we do .... only everyone of there shootings are far more lethal then ours because the people can't defend themselves, only cops and criminals are allowed there.

This is serious stuff to think about when you decide that guns are bad.

Cheers,
Pepe :D

Pepe

Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep are voting on what's for diner.
Liberty is when the sheep has a gun.

I wondered how this could have happened—how did the shooter get a weapon with his history of mental illness?

Somehow, you are living with the illusion that increasing gun control is going to stop that mental case shooter from getting a gun. This is as ridiculous as claiming that the 'war on drugs" makes it hard for kids to get dope. they can get all the dope and all the guns they want, a law doesn't stop that. Just go up to Canada where guns are not allowed and you'll see that anyone really wanting to can get a gun, especially the criminals and the mental cases.

BillCA

Yup, there are nut jobs out there who will do stupid things. However the anti-gun activists have a long track record of threatening lawful gun owners, whether it is ignoring their rights or direct threats...

"...I don't believe gun owners have rights."
Sarah Brady, Chairman, Handgun Control, Incorporated, from the Hearst Newspapers Special Report, "Handguns in America" October 1997)

We have had enough as a nation. You are not allowed to own a gun, and if you do own a gun I think you should go to prison.”
--Rosie O'Donnell

We're going to snuff out John Riggio, were going to snuff out legislators that are voting against our gun laws; and we're coming for you...
---Fr. Michael Pfleger, pastor of St. Sabina parish at a 5/26/2007 anti-gun protest in front of a gun shop, naming the shop owner and threatening Illinois legislatores.