Thoughts

Trevor

McCain is a Republican version of Jimmy Carter. I doubt if Americans want a president who presents himself as morally superior. In contrast, Bush and Gore are obviously flawed individuals over whom the American people can lord---not the other way around.

That perspective is how Americans prefer to relate to their selected leaders. We pick weak and barely competent leaders so that we can pillory them whenever we need a little pick-me-up.

At least by the measure of the Constitution (as it was written in 1787), weak presidents are the norm; it is Congress who runs the federal government. With the exception of G. Washington, this arrangement was the way of the world until the trauma of the Civil War when Lincoln stepped into a vacuum of power to create a stronger executive branch. While many presidents since the Civil War have not lived up to the administrative standards of Lincoln, the expectation has been there that they should.

Hence, who gets elected president is given more significance than is intended by the Constitution. This situation is what journalists now refer to as the expectations game. For gunowners, the expectation is the fear that a president who will take extra-Constiutional measures to curb their rights. The fact is, as Clinton has demonstrated, anything can happen. Thus, merely relying on the Constitution is no longer enough to protect one's self-interests.

There is an additional game to play that demands activism, vigilance, and persuasion on many levels and in many forums. It is hard work but somone has got to do it.

I believe that people get the government they deserve.

If you are not involved, you only have yourself to blame.

------------------
It only takes one bullet to change your life.