Thoughts on the Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter LT in 30-06?

Dogger

Curious to know what you greybeards think about this rifle. 24 inch barrel. A trimmed down walnut stock by some reknowned stock designer? Anyway, it is my latest candidate for the 30-06 I eventually hope to buy. Thanks.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
You might check 416Rigby's post in "Which new rifle..."

I was recently looking at various very-light rifles, and the Winchester impressed me more than did the Rem. Model 7 or the Browning.

I had a pre-'64 in .257 Roberts and a post-'64 in .264 Win Mag; both shot very accurately.

Have you checked their website?

Once it's yours, you can always tweak the bedding if necessary for better groups. You can always "mess with" the stock to improve the length of pull, etc., as necessary. but if you like the looks, and if it "handles good" for you, go for it!

Regards, Art

mackie

DOGGER, You made a good choice. I just got one of these rifles but in 7mm mag, it has a 26 inch barrel. Nice stock, nice action, 1 moa accuracy, needs a trigger job. I have a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 on it. This is a nice combo; I feel. Enjoy your new rifle. I think you will like it very much.

DeBee

I gave the ultimate description of my ideal Winchester rifle on that "Which New Rifle..." post.

I am just looking for an excuse to buy a Winchester Super Grade in .30-06 with the "picture frame" bottom metal...

The stock redesign was done by David Miller, who has been making beanfield type rifles on the Winchester Classic action for a while now... extremely pricey beanfield rifles.

You will have to tweak the Winchester a bit (free float, trigger job) but that is half the fun for me...