Thoughts on the Weatherby Mark V Sporter...

Sturdyman

Hello All,

I have given up on the M1A dream for now. After shouldering a few today at the gun shop I have decided against it for now. I am interested in a quality long range hunting rifle. A rifle that I can use for large game in the event I can swing an elk or mule dear hunt one day. I will have by the end of March a Remington SPS Tactical. This second rifle will be for hunting but most of the action will be at the range.

I came upon the Weatherby website and found the Mark V Sporter to be at the top of my range budget wise. At $1,500 it is expensive but no additional work has to be done other that adding and sighting a scope. I like the Monte-Carlo stock and the wood is pretty.

I am considering getting this rifle in the 7 mm Remington Mag version. Is this a good choice for long range hunting? Is this an expensive round to shoot? Keep in mind I will be at the range much more than in the field.
I was on the Norma website and they say tis round is readily available. Is this the case in the real world?

I am looking forward to your comments. This purchase would not be made until July or August. Life tends to get in the way of good clean recreation.

windshear

Want bang for the buck? Try a TC Venture in .300 Win. Mag. Buy practice ammo with what you save. Should do elk fine if you get the chance.

cfpaperpuncher

Yes 7mm rem mag a good carriage, not hard to find unlike 7mm weatherby which I owned long ago. Could only find ammo at the weatherby store in southgate.

7mm mag is good for game up to mule deer. Good mountain rifle due to flat trajectory. Would not go after moose or grizzly and the mark V is a bit tough to maneuver in heavy cover (whitetail) where you don't need the range anyway.

Remington mag not quite as hot as the weatherby so recoil not as much.

Consider what you are after as the 270 winchester Is cheaper to shoot just as flat and good for the lighter north american game. But if you want to go for mulies or similar size beasts the Remington 7 has more penetration.

Ricky

Weatherby

I have one of the last Japanese make weatherby Mark V rifles. I was shopping for a Browning and the shop had the Weatherby on sale (maybe 15 years ago?)
The fit and finish of the Weatherby far surpassed the Browning and as I recall the price difference was about $60.00.
Mine is a 30-06 with blued barrel and black plastic stock. It is easily the most accurate and nice shooting rifle I've owned or had the pleasure of shooting.

warbirdlover

Might want to look at a Sako 85. That is in the Weatherby price range and is a better rifle IMHO.

(NOT the A7 or Tikka T3).

Sturdyman

Might want to look at a Sako 85. That is in the Weatherby price range and is a better rifle IMHO.

(NOT the A7 or Tikka T3).

AHHHH the Beretta Sako 85. It always comes back to the Sako 85.

My duck gun is a Beretta Eureka Gold and I have no issues it as long as I keep it clean. I was looking at the Beretta White Onyx for my skeet and sporting clays shotgun. I kind of wanted to get away from Beretta and try something different.

You are correct the Sako 85 does deserve a gook look.

Water-Man

Take a look at the Mark V Synthetic. I've got one in .300 Wtby. Mag and it's been great. You can purchase one for under $1000.00.

Scorch

I like the Monte-Carlo stock and the wood is pretty.
Those are the features many shooters buy.:rolleyes: Not that it matters much, I suppose, but Weatherby rifles tend to have a good deal more perceived recoil than most rifles chambered for similar cartridges due to the weight distribution (heavy receiver coupled to light, whippy barrels). Most Weatherby rifles do shoot very well, though they are not very comfortable to shoot from a bench, which sounds like the majority of your intended use. I personally would not buy a Mark V. But that opinion notwithstanding, they are an excellent rifle.
I am considering getting this rifle in the 7 mm Remington Mag version. Is this a good choice for long range hunting? Is this an expensive round to shoot? Keep in mind I will be at the range much more than in the field
7mm mag is good for game up to mule deer. Good mountain rifle due to flat trajectory. Would not go after moose or grizzly
The 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge has more than enough oomph to take on elk and moose, and even grizzly bear (although you had better be very good about shot placement). It is one of the top 5 most popular hunting cartridges in number of rounds sold in the USA.
Want bang for the buck? Try a TC Venture in .300 Win. Mag.
At first blush, this might look like good advice, but the 300 Win Mag is not your friend. You might be well-served by a 300 Win Mag, but range time will not be fun, and judging from all the people who kill elk with their 270s and 30-06s every year, you might be packing too much gun.
Might want to look at a Sako 85.
Sakos are very nice, and typically very acccurate.

Whether you buy a Weatherby Mark V, a TC Icon, or a Sako 85, or even a Remington 700, I would recommend you look into a 30-06 and learn how to use it.

Ricky

Weatherby percieved recoil

Maybe due to the fact that mine has a full Mark V receiver in 30-06 but mine is a very soft shooting rifle.