Thoughts on the S&W 410...

Reason I'm asking is, well, I bought a very lightly used one this afternoon for $300 and change.

I wasn't really looking at getting into the .40, but here I am.

I like how it feels in my hand and it has a very good single & double action trigger pull.

Anyone have one?

Do they make metal guide rods? I've heard some tales about the plastic rods breaking in use and tying up the gun.

No one has a 410?

Wow, I'm kind of surprised.

I know they're the "valueline" pistols, but I thought there would be at least a couple current owners here.

JDBerg

That 410 is a good shooter, and you got a nice one at a great price. I always liked the 2nd & 3rd Gen S&W 9mm semiautomatics, I had a nice 459 up until a for months ago when I traded it off for a S&W Model 14 revolver which I couldn't pass up.

The only potential problem I would see with that 410 is the availability of magazines down the road, the mags for the .40S&W 2nd & 3rd Gen Smiths have been discontinued. MecGar only shows the 9mm mags for the 2nd & 3rd Gen Smiths. I don't know how many magazines you got with yours but I'd try & scrounge as many mags, followers, & baseplates as I could find (the springs are standard Wolff parts).

Last edited:
I got two 10 rounders with it.

I'm still deciding what I'm going to do with it. I'm thinking if I like the way it shoots and it's reliable with the ammo I choose I might turn it into one of my house guns.

Right now it's in the safe beside my 4506-1. They're chatting nicely.

Mr. Hill

I also have a 411. They are good pistols. It was my first new gun purchase in the 90's, and I still have it. Try it with some 155 grain rounds and see how you like it. 10 rounds of 155 grain JHP's is nothing to snicker at, especially through that pistol.

Edited to add that I recall that an aftermarket rod was available (Apex or somebody else), a lot of people stuck with the factory rod through a lot of rounds.

Last edited:

mrray13

A 410 was my first venture in .40 S&W years ago. I didn't care for the straight backstrap, but that was my only complaint ever about the pistol. It was reliable and accurate with a good trigger. Wish I still had it, but traded it for motorcycle when I got bit by the drag racing bug.......

mrray13

I'm in the arched backstrap camp. I absolutely love the way my 39-2 fits my hand. Easily my favorite 9mm in my safe, and close to being my favorite handgun period.

I think you'll like the 410. Smith hit a home run with all of those pistols.

A friend of mine had one of the earlier 910s (?), and it simply would not shoot for him.

I thought it was a case of the gun not being right for him, so I tried it, and it wouldn't shoot for me.

We clamped it into a Ransom rest, and same thing. Best groups were over 5 inches at 25 yards, and most were larger than that.

I recrowned the barrel, thinking that was the issue, but with no effect.

I managed to locate another barrel and swapped it out, and things got only marginally better.

I figure the issue was something in how the slide or frame were machined. He ended up trading it on a Sig 226.