Thoughts on the new Colt Defenders

WVsig

I have carried full sized, commander and even a CCO 1911. I have always been tempted to get a Colt Defender but never seem to pull the trigger on one. :p

Anyone running one of these new Defenders. How reliable are they? You always here nightmares about 3" 1911s but the Colt seems to have a decent rep. Anyone have one in 9mm? I love the look except for the grips which would be swapped out immediately. Not a houge fan. More than likely will get Alums or some nice slim wood grips.

colt1.jpg

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

No experience with one, but I have fondled them and would love one. Fired a kimber ultra carry 2 that's in the family that's got around 2k through it with no issues. My guess would be that having issues would be dependent on the gun itself and not the model, but that subcompact 1911s would have tighter tolerance levels by their nature and maybe need a bit more tweaking because of it.

WVsig

My guess would be that having issues would be dependent on the gun itself and not the model, but that subcompact 1911s would have tighter tolerance levels by their nature and maybe need a bit more tweaking because of it.

I agree it is all about the changes from a 5" gun to a " gun. The timing has to be correct for a 3" barrel. You hear a lot of people praising them and a lot of people who have had trouble.

I am also considering the Colt Agent but I am not sure about the trench sites....

007a.JPG

Bailey Boat

I've been carrying a Defender for years as my winter carry piece. Like you, I ditched the Goodyears for a pair of double diamonds, extended slide release and thumb safety and feed it with 185 grain Starfires. Mine doesn't like 230 grainers worth a crap but eats the 185's like a .22 auto.

GONIF

Carried a Defender for 10 years ,it never failed to function with 230 grain hp. It was stolen 7 months ago and I miss it and will get another .

dondavis3

I own and like very much a Colt MK IV Officers Model

ColtMKIVOfficersmodel.jpg

It's about 25 years old and still shoots straight and true.

:cool:

Last edited:

orionengnr

I had one for a while, but to be honest, my Kimber Ultra CDP was more accurate, had a better trigger and seemed to have a better build quality.
(The fact that Colt showed zero interest in selling me replacement springs, never answering their phone, and never returning my calls helped me make up my mind.)

The Kimber will also eat anything I can fit in the mag. I currently own three 3" Kimbers (okay, I own two and the wife owns one). The Defender left the premises some time ago.

I have the model with the trench sites. I haven't had any problems at all regarding malfunctions. The only thing I need to do is do a quick tuning of the ejector. Brass ejects in different directions at times and was told tuning it was the trick. Haven't shot it in a while due to other toys lately. But I used several factory loads including self defense loads and reload recipes of my own. JHP and FMJ alike it didn't matter.

The trench sites were something to get used to. I thought it would have been a pain in the butt to be honest. But after a couple of range sessions I really liked the setup. One less thing to worry about regarding snagging on clothing and such.

I'm actually thinking about selling it to fund for an EMP40. I'm not one to carry different guns so I only need one CCW when Jan. 1 hits here in Iowa.

jwalker497

I've researched the Defender heavily along with 3in 1911s in general and there seems to be a concensus, whether deserved or not, that the 3in 1911s are not as reliable as their longer brothers. Of course, this is a geneal statement and anyone gun may be a complete lemon or a complete ace, but that's the sense I got.

However, the Colt Defender seems to be the exception to the rule. It truly seems to be an extremely reliable and accurate gun. Not too mention its amazingly light. I held one and was impressed. I think its 23oz empty. This is just my opinion and not worth much but my conclusion based on my research leads me to believe that the Colt Defender was an awesome gun and extremely reliable.

xanth

Have a New Agent, really like the gun, been 100% reliable the past year+ I've had it.

With the trench sights though, I have to practice with it to be able to use them. With any normal 3 dot sight system, normally can just shoot it and at least hit the target, with the trench sight, have to practice, and if I don't, can't hit squat with it...

9mm1033

I'm not sure I ever saw one in a gun store. I shot my brother's .45 last month and immediately made him an offer. I replaced the Goodyear grips with Colt's and since the slide had some tiny scratches, I attacked the sides with 2000 grit sandpaper. I believe it looks a tad better.

IMG_2961-1.jpg

BlueTrain

I've never so much as touched one, so these comments are slightly irrelevant. I have owned both a lightweight Commander Model and a lightweight Officer's ACP Model. Thinking back, it is remarkable how much difference there was in the "kick" or recoil between the two versions. Mind you, they both had stiff recoil to be sure but the Officer's ACP was positively a handgun to shoot. That isn't to say it was punishing but neither was it what you might call comfortable. Of course, I thought the recoil of a Makarov was so stiff that you'd think twice before using your second magazine.

In comparison, however, a .357 125-grain has much more blast than the .45 and the recoil I'd call sharper. But both can easily be managed with one hand, only that second shot will be a little slow on target. Both lightweight models were delights for carrying, however, and I realized eventually I'd pick the lighter model every time if there was a choice.

Now I'll have to go find one of them to look at.

Coltman 77

I've been extremely pleased with my New Agent. It's very accurate and so far (1200 rds. of assorted fmj and jhp) 100% reliable.

The trench sights took about two mags to get used to. The little pistol is really designed for point shooting, IMO.

DSCN0321.jpg

Good luck with your decision, keep us updated. :)

Oldjarhead

dondavis3, trench sights are sights cut into the top of the slide from the muzzle to the rear, which gives it the trench look. No sights actually fitted on the slide as separate pieces.

Wildalaska

I love them and miss mine (sold to fund another project).

If you want one I found another one in our safe, $829 delivered

Warm Alaskan Greetings

WildicantwaittomakeahugeannouncementforyouguysAlaska ™©2002-2010

LanceOregon

I have owned both a lightweight Commander Model and a lightweight Officer's ACP Model. Thinking back, it is remarkable how much difference there was in the "kick" or recoil between the two versions. Mind you, they both had stiff recoil to be sure but the Officer's ACP was positively a handgun to shoot. That isn't to say it was punishing but neither was it what you might call comfortable.

That's why it could be smart for WVsig to go with the 9mm version of this pistol, as he mentioned. It might be better suited to this size and weight of a gun.