Thoughts on the LCR

TinyDee

I have been around awhile and generally, other than some 22's avoided Ruger. I always stayed with Smith's in revolvers and ventured into some other premiums with auto's. Now, I have my LCR and have to say Ruger displayed pure genius with this revolver. Maybe the LCP was the first stroke but this one is just wonderful. Fantastic trigger and so light. I was a little surprised the first time because it was about a J frame size. But now, consider me a real fan.

ChicagoTex

I suggest you use the search function, there have already been tons of threads on the LCR.
It'll save you some time.

imp

The LCR is listed at 13.3 ounces. There are .38 specials made by smith and wesson that are lighter. I've tried the trigger on the LCR, and its pretty good, but I think S&W is just as good.

The LCR is radically chopped up cylinder is not my idea of beauty, but to each his own. I'm just not impressed with Ruger's recent track record with new firearms. The last 2 pistols they introduced had to be recalled, and I wouldn't be suprised one bit if it happens to the LCR as well.

For my money, I'd find a nice S&W 442 or 340pd..something along that line.

ChicagoTex

For my money, I'd find a nice S&W 442 or 340pd..something along that line.

I'll agree with you on the 442 (even though it's a couple ounces heavier than an LCR... big deal), but a 340pd is a lot more expensive than an LCP for a minimal weight difference. On the flipside, it can shoot 357 Mags if that's what you're into, but if you intend to run .38s, the 442 or LCR make a lot more sense.

The LCR is radically chopped up cylinder is not my idea of beauty, but to each his own. I'm just not impressed with Ruger's recent track record with new firearms. The last 2 pistols they introduced had to be recalled, and I wouldn't be suprised one bit if it happens to the LCR as well.

Fanboy defense mode activated:
I am tired of hearing this. There are many manufacturers who have had much much worse problems and not done recalls. Neither of the pistols NEEDED to be recalled by INDUSTRY STANDARDS. Ruger just went above and beyond and proved they are dedicated to delivering exactly what they advertise.

I am still going to wait a while before I buy an LCR so I don't have to deal with a recall if it happens and I don't really have cash available at the moment. If I had the cash sitting around to purchase a firearm at the moment I would go ahead and purchase an LCR believing fully that if there was any sort of general design flaw, or workmanship problems specific to my pistol, Ruger would make it right.

Ruger, the last US manufacturer producing to AMERICAN standards.
I am allowed to exaggerate a little.

imp

I wasn't neccessarily criticizing Ruger for the recalls, I just meant that to mean I wouldn't buy a brand spanking new model like the LCR for a year or so, just to make sure, and not because it isn't safe, but because I hate having to ship back to the factory and do without a revolver until it gets fixed and returned. Plus, let the prices come down from the "introductory" rate and the new model craze.

ramp_tech

I am tired of hearing this. There are many manufacturers who have had much much worse problems and not done recalls. Neither of the pistols NEEDED to be recalled by INDUSTRY STANDARDS. Ruger just went above and beyond and proved they are dedicated to delivering exactly what they advertise.

I am still going to wait a while before I buy an LCR so I don't have to deal with a recall if it happens and I don't really have cash available at the moment. If I had the cash sitting around to purchase a firearm at the moment I would go ahead and purchase an LCR believing fully that if there was any sort of general design flaw, or workmanship problems specific to my pistol, Ruger would make it right.

+1:D

skydiver3346

Ruger LCR:

I just wrote a thread on my new LCR. It is an awesome gun for sure. Yes, when I first saw it, I thought is was butt ugly, (so happy with all my J frame Smith's).
Hey, but it is one heck of a conceal carry gun and the more I looked at it and fondled it, the better it started looking to me. Best trigger out of the box for a new gun I have seen. It actually has a pretty cool look to it in person and it will grow on you I promise. Points well and recoil on such a light little gun is very nice indeed. I don't know how Ruger did it, but they knocked it out of the park with this one. Do yourself a favor (if you like revolvers) pick one up and you won't be sorry.

drrpg01

Ruger Revolvers

I haven't heard of too many problems with Ruger revolvers honestly. They had some semi-auto recalls, but they also had a semi-auto that was Guns and Ammo gun of the year back in 2004 I believe - the p345 or something like that. Seems like a Ruger revolver is pretty much always a safe bet to me. I don't see why the LCR would be any different.

Jim March

Ruger quality control has been on a solid upswing since at least around 2004. The mid-frame SAs (New Vaquero, Montado, 50th 357 Blackhawk and the new 44spl) have been gems. They did have one minor-issue recall on the first batch of New Vaqueros (under SN5000ish, mine is just over).

Ruger did something very smart and tested the internal keylock on those single actions for literally years with zero failures before shipping it on a gun more likely to be pressed into a defensive role (the LCR).

As to "worrying" about a recall...why? Ruger has always paid shipping both ways on recalls and often thrown in some nice freebies. And as stated, Ruger is handling issues under recall when Taurus in particular should have done at LEAST three times the recalls in the same period, and didn't, forcing people to pay shipping going in and often not fixing problems the first time out.

Just the *ideas* behind the LCR are revolutionary: fix the trigger, set it up DAO from the get-go and take advantage of the grip placement options that gives you, oversize the triggerguard for gloves (YAY!), pinned front sight for easy upgrades, good old fashioned steel in the cylinder (even if it is cut funky), more. And it appears to be all panning out.

dairycreek

I'm just not impressed with Ruger's recent track record with new firearms. The last 2 pistols they introduced had to be recalled, and I wouldn't be suprised one bit if it happens to the LCR as well.

Neither the Ruger LCP nor the SR9 had to be recalled! In each case Ruger voluntarily recalled and repaired each of the guns. The did so ata the advice of their legal counsel (lord I'm getting tired of a world run by attorneys and insurance companies) and, in neither case was the function of the gun impaired.

Actually the situation is a prime case for Ruger's care for quality production and firearms and NOT a reason for ignoring their products.

Make your own decision but, for goodness' sake, get the facts straight.