Thoughts on RIA M206 snub nose .38special

Hdonly

I am thinking about a RIA M206. Just looking for a small revolver to carry while working around my 10 acres.

TruthTellers

They're fine, just make sure you look yours over real good. They may not look like quality and the cylinder release is VERY stiff out of box and also it's clunky to close the cylinder and something you have to learn and get use to, but once the cylinder is in, the trigger is excellent.

Cheapshooter

Happy with mine, for what it is. A low priced 38 snubbie to just use for a range toy. I think for your knock around use it would be a perfect fit. The design is pretty cool, Colt Detective looking. But it isn't going to impress anybody at tye range with a finely finished look.
They fit the "good gun for the money" category perfectly.

Hdonly

Sounds like it is just what I need. It will get beat up a little bit while I'm working around the place. Hate to treat a real expensive gun to that. I have already destroyed a couple of cellphones like that. Thanks for the feedback.

Hdonly

That's what got me looking at an RIA. I have an RIA M1911A1-CS .45 that I really like. Never gives me a bit of trouble.

CajunBass

I bought a couple of the RIA's with the four inch barrels. Good little guns. Nothing fancy for sure, but I was surprised how good the triggers were. One was a little better, but neither was bad. I only shot one of them. I shot it just as poorly as I do any other 4", fixed sight revolver. The grips aren't bad, but mine needed a couple minutes work with a dull pocket knife to scrape some flashing off the joints. Nothing major.

Pretty good for the money I thought.

I plan to get one, especially after shooting one. Range buddy let me try his out. Nice shooter and trigger. As I said on another tread, Not a polished beauty, but functions nice and you sure can't beat the price.

kymasabe

My first opinion was they were roughly finished and heavy as all heck, but...if they work well, are reliable and are affordable, I'd certainly consider one for a truck gun, farm gun, etc.

Onward Allusion

The rough finish is Parkerizing... Functions fine. Swapped out the wood grips for Pachmayr. Accuracy is that of a snub. For me, COM at 7 to 10 yards. I picked mine up for $196 about 5 years ago. To date, I've put probably between 500 to 700 rounds through mine, including handloads. Never a problem.

unclenunzie

My understanding is these are not rated for +P loads if that matters. The Taurus 85 series (now 856 with 6 rounds and +P rated) is well regarded and available in stainless or non-stainless steels. I do not think the price difference is significant.

I see you have chosen. Enjoy it in good health.

What does "rated for" +P mean? Rock Island says their revolvers are safe to fire +P ammunition through but they caution that a steady diet of +P will accelerate wear and tear on the firearm. I'm pretty certain that even S&W says the same thing, and it would surprise me greatly if Taurus doesn't say the same thing. In fact:

Taurus: https://www.taurususa.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/Taurus_Manual_856_856ul.pdf

Page 16 said:
“+P” ammunition can be dangerous. There is a detailed discussion about “+P” and “+P+” ammunition on page 18 of this manual. Until you have read that information, do not fire any ammunition marked “+P” in your revolver.

Page 18 said:
Even if your Taurus® firearm is rated for Plus-P (“+P”) ammunition, such ammunition generates pressures significantly in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the useful life of the firearm or exceed the margin of safety built into many firearms. Unless you need +P ammunition, do not use it, particularly for practice.

TruthTellers

The way I've looked at +P in the Rock Island .38's is shoot standard pressure at the range, maybe a few rounds of your preferred +P ammo to get an idea for recoil and POI, then when using it for defense to keep it loaded with +P.

IDK about others, but when I shoot .38 at the range, 95% of it is with standard pressure cheap stuff or my handloads that are near max powder charges.

unclenunzie

From the Taurus manual as above, but with more context, as Taurus themselves makes a distinction between +P rated and not +P rated models:

Only fire SAAMI rated Plus P (“+P”) ammunition in Taurus® models designated by Taurus for +P use as
below. Firing +P ammunition in other Taurus products may be dangerous and can result in serious
bodily injury or death.
Model 85 small-frame revolver in 38 Special.
Model 856 revolvers in 38 Special.
Model 850 small-frame revolver in 38 Special.
Model 851 small-frame revolver in 38 Special.
Model 85 Polymer small-frame revolver in 38 Special.
Model 82 medium-frame revolver in 38 Special.
Model 817 compact frame (tracker) revolver in 38 Special.
All firearms chambered in 38 Super Automatic.
All firearms chambered in 45 Automatic (ACP).
All firearms chambered in 9mm Luger.

Even if your Taurus® firearm is rated for Plus-P (“+P”) ammunition, such ammunition generates pressures
significantly in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect
the useful life of the firearm or exceed the margin of safety built into many firearms. Unless you need +P
ammunition, do not use it, particularly for practice.

For Armscor/.RI, I can find only this from their FAQ page:

CAN ARMSCOR GUNS HANDLE +P AMMO?
Yes all of our guns are +p ammo ready, but please use only when necessary.

So this says they are also rated for +P just not quite as verbosely as Taurus does. But even so, I would not turn one of these revolvers away, as they are well regarded by those who have them.

Hdonly

Plus P is a waste of money and hard on equipment. I use standard hollow-points on the range and for SD. Practice a lot so you can hit what your aiming at. Standard .38special will do the job.

silvermane_1

Plus P is a waste of money and hard on equipment. I use standard hollow-points on the range and for SD. Practice a lot so you can hit what your aiming at. Standard .38special will do the job.
I dunno know about that, I remember some years back a woman defended her home with standard 38 Spl. shooting the perp in the head/face 5 or 6 times, and he still kept coming.