Thoughts on my Son's 1st .45 ACP

AL45

My son and I are new to semi-auto handguns. He is looking for a .45 ACP in the $500.00 range. We have seen some good reviews on Rock Island Armory. Any thoughts on this or other. Thanks.

jimbob86

Warning: Learning to shoot even a cheap 1911 trigger will ruin you for all others: everything else will feel long, heavy, gritty, and unpredictable.

I've shot 1911's in every price range- even the cheapest filipino slag gun has a better trigger than anything else: short, light, crisp, and straight back.

Dragline45

Warning: Learning to shoot even a cheap 1911 trigger will ruin you for all others: everything else will feel long, heavy, gritty, and unpredictable.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I learned to shoot on DA revolvers, and did alot of shooting early on with J frames as it was my first carry gun. Because of it, I really don't have a problem shooting anything. If you can master the DA trigger pull, you can shoot just about anything well.

LockedBreech

For the $329 Black Friday price I paid for my RIA, it's darn nice. Tight and seems pretty well-machined.

That said, for a working gun within a budget of $500 I'd go with Smith M&P, Glock 21, or Beretta PX4.

JimmyR

I picked up a used RIA tactical locally for $300 and some ammo. Guy had the receipt from when he bought it a few months prior, and just needed money for a new project. I love mine, and would have no reservation reccomending it for a first 1911.

Cheapshooter

Thoughts on my Son's 1st .45 ACP
One distinction to make that would be helpful. By 45ACP, some people mean a 1911 platform, while others just mean any semi-auto chambered in 45ACP.
Your mention of the RIA somewhat leads me to the conclusion you are wanting something on the 1911 Colt platform.
Some information on the intended use would also be helpful.

AL45

Cheapshooter, He is not stuck on the 1911 design although he likes the look. Based on a lot of reviews, the RIA seems to be a good buy for the money. The gun will be used for target shooting. I'm a revolver guy and he has shot my .45 Colt Blackhawk many times and has a little experience with my son-in-law's .45 acp, but I don't remember the brand of it. He liked it a lot better than my daughter's small 9mm.

Hawg

You cant go wrong with a Rock Island. Warranted for the lifetime of the gun no matter who bought it originally and the best CS in the business. My .45 tactical feeds anything you put in it and hasn't had a hiccup from day one even tho they say it has a 500 round break in period. I don't like the smooth wood grips and the ACT mag but those are easy fixes.

qwiksdraw

If you do want to look at another option, the please allow me to recommend the MetroArms American Classic 1911s which are in the same price range as RIA. My Gov't Model 45ACP has over 2500 rounds in just over 2 years and it has been 100% reliable. My 9MM Commander is catching up and performing the same. The fit and finish on these guns is superb.

Oh yes, MetroArms is is the Philippines too!

http://metroarms.com/

http://grabagun.com/salesperson/result/?q=American Classic

weblance

I recently picked up a Ruger P345 for $350. Ruger also made the P90, and P97 in 45acp. All different guns, each with a different size, and feel. All three can be had in the $3-$350 range if you look around. Solid, reliable, and accurate guns.

for another $100 look at the sti spartan series. absolutely adore mine. can't say enough good about it.

IMG_20120307_212227.jpg

::edit::
looks like pricing has gone up to the $725 range. it used to be $600.

KeeperOath

Good for Price 45

If you are wanting a 1911 style pistol in .45acp, then I agree that the Rock Island will serve you well. I've read very few if any negative comments about that handgun. The are well made in the Philippine Islands, which is a major reason the price is as low as it is.

If you are wanting a non-1911 style pistol in .45acp then any of the ones suggested above will serve you well.

Happy hunting.