Thoughts on GI Series Springfield?

fyrestarter

Just wondering if anyone who has owned a Springfield GI Series .45 has anything to say about it -- good or bad.

I was thinking of picking up one of the 4" versions and wonder how they compare to the Colt Commander in terms of accuracy, reliability, etc. My experience with .45's has only been with full size models, and only Colt at that.

Yeah, yeah, I know, go read the threads at 1911 forums :)

readyfire

Their great pistols,i have 2 a SS and a parked GI.Their fit nice and tight,their very accurate and fit and finish are beautiful on both of em.So far mine have been reliable during break in accept for a very stiff plunger on the stainless,but ive had no failures to feed cycle or eject.Caes get a bit dinged on exit but they exit so nothin to complain about there.Mine seem to love the mags they came with to.Havent got a four inch ,but i can say these are tuff nice lookin pistols well worth the cash.

USP45usp

fyrestarter,

good topic, I'm looking at the SA GI series also. For the price they seem like a good deal but I will be watching this thread closely.

Wayne

Ninj500

I have a parkerized version and for $389 (in Central Ohio) they make a great shooter. Some like to customize them but I like the look and feel just how they are. For a good inexpnsive plinker they can't be beat in my humble opinion.

Dwight55

I live about 70 miles from Ninj500, paid $379+tax for mine, . . . and cannot think of any good reason to get rid of it. It is my CCW piece, full size, prints from the box at 2 1/ 2", 5 shot group, hand held on a rest. First clip had two failures to chamber, found out the piece was just dry, . . . cleaned & oiled, never a problem since. Am putting a Wilson bushing on to tighten up group a bit, . . . yes: highly recommend to anyone & everyone.
May God bless,
Dwight

ZWolfgang

You really won't go wrong with either the Colt or the Springfield. If either one has any problems, the maker will correct that for you. There are differences, primarily in the metallurgy of the major pieces and smaller parts. The Colt will cost a bit more, but for that you get generally higher grade metallurgy/components, better fit and finish, and a 1911 made entirely in the USA. I do like the Springfields and they're a good choice if keeping the price bare bones is really important... important enough to send your money to workers in Brasil. The Springfield mil-specs are manufactured and assembled entirely in Brasil. Buy the Springer if you don't mind giving the work to another country and you want to keep the price bare minimum. Buy the Colt if you want all made in the USA and you don't mind paying more for the higher grade components. Either way, you'll be buying a pretty dang nice pistola!

Colt 1991A1 NRM Stainless
1991A1_8134.jpg

fyrestarter

Got to handle and dry fire the Springfield GI .45 in Stainless today. What a sweet pistol! The slide was tight and fluid, the trigger crisply broke at around 4 pounds...everything on the pistol was immaculate and solid. The store only had one, and it was sold already, but next week, after a new shipment, one of those will be mine. Once I have the rear site removed, the front dovetailed and a set of Dawson Fiber Optics put on, it should make a great pistol for under $500.

The only question now is: What practical purpose is this good for? I already have three Colt .45's. IPSC? Steel? Carry? I have to justify this to myself somehow :)