Thoughts on Fiocchi 357 MAG 142GR FMJ

WVsig

I have found some of this ammo for decent price about $19 a box. I have shot a ton of Fiocchi 9mm and 45 ACP out of my autos. Thoughts on this for S&W .357s like Model 19 or a 586?

Hal

586 for sure it won't be a problem.

I'd have to check the specs to see if it's anything I'd send down the barrel of my beloved M19.
Probably is - but - w/non-US ammunition it always pays to be 100% sure of how hot it's loaded.

Edit - - that's some pretty hot stepping stuff according to Fiocchi .

1420 fps.
I'd back away from using that in my M19.

JMHO.

Last edited:

Jim March

It's probably one of the few practice loads that will print to about the same point of aim as a 145gr Winchester Silvertip 357, which is a good defense load from a 3" or longer barrel if you want something that shoots a bit on the mild side of the 357 spectrum and still works well. It's an "old school" slug but it works.

5-SHOTS

Are those Fiocchi truncated cone? If yes, I've shot many of those out of the S&W 686 Plus 2.5'' barrel and the Ruger SP101 DAO I had some years ago. I can say it was not that hot and the recoil was OK. Velocity is nothing special according to a friend's chronograph and to the data I've seen on some gun magazines. Try those on your bigger revolver first and see from yourself. The Fiocchi I don't recommend to fire out of ANY revolver are 110gr. FMJ-TC Black Mamba and 110gr. FMJ-FN: forcing cone erosion guaranteed.

Last edited:

amd6547

I put about 50rds through a 2.5" Model 19 is used to own, and it shot just fine.
Might be a good choice for a 357 load with good penetration.

NoirFan

I'm envious that you were able to find some of that Fiocchi. It used to be sold at my local Gander Mountain and was my favorite .357 practice ammo. Very accurate and clean, and the pointed bullets were really easy to load in speedloader drills. Great stuff, but it is actually not that hot. I always thought the report and recoil were too low to match the velocity printed on the box, and so it turns out:

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html

The 142 gr rounds are actually going at about 1150 FPS, not 1400 as claimed. I think you are OK shooting it out of a K-frame. It never gave my Model 19 any problems.

Real Gun

Nominal velocity for the nominal 158 gr bullet is about 1250 fps. All the makers are right there in their common offerings for .357 magnum. Lighter bullets will be faster. Heavier bullets will be slower. All are supersonic (boom) until you get to the "short barrel" or practice ammo at under 1150 or so and some under 1000.

I think you will be happier with heavier bullets, but if you practice with store bought ammo, these Fiocchis should be fine. That screaming velocity helps mostly with bullet expansion or maintaining POA on longer range shots.

Hal

The 142 gr rounds are actually going at about 1150 FPS, not 1400 as claimed.
According to the link - that's from a 2 1.2" barreled M19.
The 6 1/2" barreled Blackhawk did better at 1313 fps.

That's still less than what's claimed though, so, it appears they (the 142 gr.) may be ok for a 4" M19.
Rough guess for a 4" is what - 1250 fps?

Sarge

The linked blog-post above is mine. I liked the Fiocchi FMJ pretty well and would use wherever I wanted extra penetration from a 357. I have no qualms about shooting any of today's 357 ammo in any gun so marked.