thoughts on Ed Brown

STAGE 2

I was reading the newest issue of American Rifleman, and they had a review on the Ed Brown Kobra Commander. What kind of reputation do Ed's pistols have, and are they worth the 2 grand that most of them run for?

Ed Brown is one of the top dogs, he makes one of the very best 1911's out there and you can get the blued commander and he will scale it like the Cobra for free. This way it will cost you alot less. I think you can get one for about $1300. BTW, Ed Browns parts are his own and all very hard tooled steel. I think even the Valtro has MIM parts.

So yes, Ed Brown or Bear would be my top pic's in the $1200-$2000 range.

AR-10

I was drooling over the review of the Kobra. I'd really like to have one. It did not bother me to drop a grand on a Kimber, but two grand is beyond my means anytime soon.

Now $1300.00 is within grasping distance...

Cedric

I've never seen an Ed Brown pistol for $1300. Their cobra and cobra carry start at $1800 and go up from there?

I must be missing something...?

Regards,
Cedric

CastleBravo

Ed Browns are all around $1,800+ MSRP. Good guns, no cutting corners on the components. Probably the next best thing to a ground-up full custom gun, without the wait. A step above Baers or Wilsons, but a bit more expensive and a little harder to find.

cobraman

I really like Ed Brown Guns. I think they are the nicest of the semi custom guns by far. Where Brown guns really shine is the quality of parts. When I build up a 1911 I use ED Brown parts almost exclusivly.
Dave Dawson prefers Brown Bevertails and thumbsafeties for the guns he builds and says so in his catalogs.

sar

I bought my Ed Brown Class A Limited last year and it by far is the best quality gun, not just 1911, I have owned. I have a Wilson, HKP7, Colt 1911 and had a Baer - the Brown is easily a step above. I sold most of my other guns to pay for it and loads of practive ammo and I have not regretted it. Also, dealing with Ed and family is a pleasure and you will have your gun in less than 90 days (by the way, here in NYC 90 days is a blink of the eye in gun time). Its performance and quality are great. Shootability is tops. Last week I had a friend who never shot a handgun rent a Glock 19. After 50 rounds of the G19 and doing ok he asked to try my Ed Brown. He proceeded to put his first 7 shots of .45 in the x-ring at 7 yards. Never saw a guy smile so much.

Why are people questioning the price I quoted? As you can see, one just sold for $1200.

Again ,,, buy the Commander and Ed will make it look like a cobra for FREE! It's on his web site for gosh sakes! also they sell cheaper than the suggested price. SHHHHHHHHEEEEEEESH!

I will agree that Ed's are the best and not a stinker in the bunch!

Too bad Sven never asked me before dumping big dough on a Valtro!

STAGE 2

From what you guys have said, Ed sounds like the way to go, but there are a couple things I am still curious about. First of all, when I do purchase a 1911, reliability will be my number one concern. 1" at 25 yards is fine and dandy, but isnt much good if the guns needs a total break down if sneezed on. A little bit of exaggeration yes, but since my collection of firearms will be limited for quite sometime, the few I do/will own need to be able to function flawlessly in the absolute worst of circumstances.

That being said, I'm not positive, but dont think I saw an external extractor on the Kobra? Dont most high end handguns have this? Also, I was reading that he does not use a full length guide rod as it can cut down on reliability. Is this the case and why? Me want more knowledge.

hdm25

I see you're in California. Has Brown gone to the trouble of making sure that his guns are legal in California? Or do they fall under some general 1911 category that is considered OK? I know little of California law (and hope that I never have to) on the subject, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

I don't know if ED did a drop test for California.

As for reliable, 1911's have been dropped in the mud for over 90 years and they've seen REAL time with internal extractors. Yes Browns guns are tighter but he builds em right. His extractor is the best money can buy.

Pendragon

Too bad Sven never asked me before dumping big dough on a Valtro!

1. I believe sven is in CA and there are no new Ed Browns available in CA and used ones cannot be imported.

2. I have not seen an Ed Brown, but I would wager the Valtro would be very comparable in reliability and accuracy.

See, Valtro only offers one model - it is a 5" 1911 with adjustable sights and it comes in a certain configuration. If you want anything different, you have to change it after you get the gun. I paid $59 to get an EB Right Hand only safety (fitted and blued)and have the signts painted.

Most of John Jardines guns cost several times what the Valtro costs, yet, he told me that the Valtros are basically 99.99% as good as his custom guns, they just come in one configuration.

Once you get a 1911 to the point of 100% reliability with all kinds of ammo and 1" @ 25 / 3" @ 50 accuracy, any additional "improvements" become mostly subjective.

The Valtro has the great trigger, the looks (the dehorn, french border and checkering are awsome) the reliability, the accuracy - everything needed to be a top shelf 1911.

Oh, and you can about buy 2 for what a lot of EB guns go for...