Thoughts on Daewoo DR-200

Lurch37

I am pondering the purchase of a Daewoo DR-200. From what I can gather so far from the wonderful world of the internet, it is a well made rifle and worth a serious look. The price is $700.00 which I think is a decent price but I'm not sure. The only thing I don't like about the one I'm looking at is the rather tacky Thumbhole stock thats mounted on it.

I talked to a guy at Ace LTD about a folding skeleton stock but they are out of stock and don't know when they will be able to get any. It seems they are needing the pistol grip handle to complete the stock.

Anyways, any thoughts any of you have on this rifle would be welcome. And also, if I were to find a folding stock, would I need to install other parts to make it legal? Does changing from the original thumbhole stock to a folder require a person to change other parts for legality? I copied this description from their website and I wondered.

Includes: Receiver Block, Skeleton Stock, 1/2 in. Recoil Pad, Pistol grip, Folding Stock Mechanism, 1 1/4 in. ambi sling mount. Also includes, US made hammer, trigger and disconnector to comply with Section 922(r)., and all hardware needed to install this stock.

Thanks!

ronl

A friend has a K2 which I have shot often. I think it is an excellent weapon and very accurate. I would buy it.

wayne in boca

I bought one a few years ago.It shot great with the thumbhole stock,but I like to tinker.I put an Ace folder on it,added a flash suppressor,and a 90 degree safety selector from Daewoo Rifle Parts(all you really need to do to make it into a superb rifle is add the selector).It is one of my favorite rifles.In fact,I since bought a K2 as well (the factory folder in military configuration,w/bayo lug).
For 700 bucks,it's a great deal.Do it.

garryc

On the range the AR of equal weight will whip the DR-200 in the accuracy department, but that's on the range. In practical use the DR-200 is vastly superior than the AR. It has sights on it that are pure battle, no fine sights here. It's cycling and ejection is spot on perfect. I can't think of a better rifle for general shooting or combat. As another poster said, it's an AK/AR/FN hybrid. There is no worry about keeping it wet, none with overheating or carbon build up. These piston AR's are just trying to be as good as the DR-200. Darn shame the So. Koreans have a better rifle than we do. In fact, I think Ruger should have licensed the DR-200 rather than comming out with a piston AR. Buy it!

tyrajam

Get it! I have a freind with one and its a sweet rifle, 700 is a bargain. If you buy it and don"t like it, pm me and I'll trade you an AR for it.

Lurch37

OK OK...lol. :)

So from what you guys are saying its a good rifle. I'm still wondering about that darn thumbhole stock thing. Any thoughts on the questions about that topic as presented in my original post?

Thanks!

B. Lahey

You need to find out how many "parts" the DR-200 has for 922r purposes (not all parts are "parts"). You can't have more than 10 foreign "parts" if you want it in a normal configuration. Or something like that, it's weird. Do more reading before you modify it.

Lurch37

B Lahey...so I am assuming if I do want to change it from the thumbhole to a folder then I must also change enough parts to satisfy the 922r rule correct?

B. Lahey

I think that's the general idea, but if they are bragging about the US parts it has, it may have enough already. Or it may need a few more. To be able to say for sure you need to find out how many foreign parts it had originally and do the math.