Thoughts on Burris vs. Vortex?

Rockrivr1

I just recently picked up a Gen II Ruger Precision Rifle and I've narrowed my scope search down to the Vortex Viper PST Gen II in 5-25x50 FFP with EBR-2C MRAD reticle or the Burris XTR II 5-25x50 FFP with the SCR Mil reticle. I have Vortex Viper PST on a different platform and it works well. Doing some research on the Burris it is also very well rated. Optics Planet is running a special on the Burris, which makes it less then the Vortex and available now. The Gen II Vortex is being shipped next months.

Specs:

Vortex - 30mm tube
Burris - 34mm tube

Vortex Elevation - 65MOA (RPR has 20MOA Scope Base)
Burris Elevation - 90MOA

Any thoughts either way?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-viper-pst-gen-ii-5-25x50-riflescope-black.html
http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-xtreme-tactical-5-25-50mm-illum-riflescope.html

Beentown71

Both are excellent. I would go with the Burris only because I have so many Vortex.

Also, I picked up an Athlon to test. I am flabbergasted by the optic vs price. I have it on my Savage 10ba stealth and the box test was almost perfect (the nut behind the trigger was the imperfection).

If it had a zero stop it would be my pick for best buy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LeonMr59

cant go wrong with either

I have a majority of experience with vortex, mainly because of their glass quality (they let in very good amount of light) but also because they are made right here in my home state of wisconsin and i love supporting a local company. Ive heard many great things about burris. they both have exceptional warranties. It comes down to what you do with the optic and what youre willing to spend.

another thing to keep in mind is with a larger tube diameter you do end up with a greater adjustment range for windage and elevation, on top of bringing in more light. Pair that with a 40mm objective lens and you have yourself a bright optic.

Last edited:

Rockrivr1

another thing to keep in mind is with a larger tube diameter you do end up with a greater adjustment range for windage and elevation, on top of bringing in more light. Pair that with a 40mm objective lens and you have yourself a bright optic.

Thanks. The Ruger Precision Rifle has a 20 MOA rail built in, so with either scope I should have enough elevation for the 600-800 yard shooting I'll be doing.

I have a Vortex PST now and I do like it a lot. I've only looked through the Burris at this point but overall I'm leaning heavily towards the Vortex.

MarkCO

I prefer the Burris, which to my eyes, has better glass. It is more noticeable at the high mag and in variable light.