Thoughts on a 9mm 1911

IM_Lugger

I'm thinking of getting a Taurus 1911 in stainess when they come out. I know they will be available 9mm, .40 and of course .45acp all with and w/out a rail :)

I don't have a .45 and to honest not too interested in getting one (9mm fan :cool: ). I relaod so it's even cheaper to shoot...

But I'm not sure how I feel about 1911 in 9mm; I wouldn't have a problem with one in 10mm (if taurus made one I'd be getting one) but 9mm? doesn't feel quite right... :confused:

any 9mm 1911 fans/owers here? Convince me to become one myself :p

TexasCop

I used to shoot a colt LW commander in 9mm. The lighter recoil in the lighter gun was really enjoyable, as well as less likely to crack the frame/dust cover. However, since the platform was created for 45 I didn't really like the waste of space in using it only for 9mm so I've since gone to all my 1911's being 45. Although I have been looking at a Para-Ord p-18 which is an 18 round double stack 9mm again... what ya gonna do?

If you get the 9mm I would suggest getting the commander length as the full 5" model does seem kind of wimpy with a 9mm.

Or just get the 45 and buy some good quality reloads.

HorseSoldier

I've been extremely happy with my 9mm Kimber Tac Pro II. The only downside I've found with it was the mag well on it makes using flush-fit mags without bumper pads kind of a pain, and finding 9mm 1911 mags tapped for bumper pads is also kind of a pain.

As far as function and such, though -- 100% reliable to date, fast to shoot, that solid 1911 feel in the hand, etc.

357 Plato

A 1911 is a great gun. And 9mm is a great round. What’s not to like?

I’m very happy with my Peters Stahl. 1911 frame with a 6” slide. It is 30 or so percent heavier than a standard 1911 = very little recoil and very pleasant to shoot.

If you only shoot to get kicked by your gun then buy a 44 magnum or even better buy a 500S&W.

When I want more BOOOOOM I shoot my 357 revolver = great fun too.

So if you like 1911s and 9mm I don’t see why you shouldn’t buy one. Don’t let the traditionalists keep you from getting the gun you want.

I do not know about Taurus guns. But I know a few who has Colt 1911s in 9mm. Great guns. They will probably last several lifetimes.

Best of luck

Jericho9mm

what about a 1911 that comes in .357sig? i think that would be kinda cool. maybe not practical or traditional but certainly cool.

O/U Mike

Get Both!

That's what I did. Pics before and after a stock change on the 9.

1911in9mmmediumdr4.jpg

glockopop

You may want to consider a Hi-Power. My girlfriend got one and I loooove it. It has the same great ergonomics, single action trigger, and slim grip of a 1911 but it's a double stack nine. And it usually costs less than a 1911 too.

Taurus_9mm

I don't own one yet but definitely want one. :D
I'd like one of those Springfield G.I. .45s, only in 9mm. :)
Well, one in .45 would be good too. :D

Doug.38PR

I thought about getting my .45 1911 Springfield converted to 9mm because I thought all you had to do was get a 9mm magazine and tube/barrel and they were interchangable at the mere breaking down of a gun. 9mm was cheaper ammo and might be fun to change off at the range. But Springfield E mailed me back and told me that it would be a permenant factory change. So I quickly dropped the idea. I like the .45 ACP better.

SilverState

I've got a Colt 9mm 1911. It is tons of fun at the range. No recoil and super-quick follow up. I don't know if I would carry it for self-defense, because I don't trust the caliber, not because I have any doubts about the weapon, but it is worth having in your collection. For carry, .45acp or 10mm.

Colt9mm.JPG

Socrates

And your hi power came with a 2 pound trigger when???
IM SORRY, THE 1911, WITH 9MM, IS A FANTASTIC IDEA. IN FIENSTIIEN LAND, WE CAN'T HAVE MORE THEN 10 ROUNDS, BUT, STILL, A 1911, WITH A GREAT TRIGGER, AND IN A GREAT GUN, IS A CHEAP, NO RECOIL, ACCURATE, SD WEAPON. GREAT IDEA.

S

HorseSoldier

The BHP is an excellent weapon, but it's not a 1911. If you're looking for a 1911 in 9mm, the HP-35 is not a substitute -- you should own one as well :) but it ain't a 1911, does not feel the same in the hand, etc.

IM_Lugger

I don't really like HP (don't really like SA guns, but IMO 1911 is a must have)...

so I guess Taurus 9mm 1911 it is :)

Golddog

I owned a Springfield 3.5" compact in 9mm. Nice little gun - handy, reliable and accurate, though a pain to take down.

But I graduated to CZ 75's, because they feel better in my hand, are more accurate, hold more rounds, and can be carried cocked and locked just like a 1911.

I love the firing charecteristics of the .45 in the 1911, prefer it to all other gun/ammo combinations ever tried except...9mm in 1911.
Always loved the .38 Super also for historical value and in some aspects an edge over the .45, but I tied a springfield in 9mm, totally stock, and it was throwing lead, accurately, like a machine pistol. I think my next 1911 is going to be in 9mm, probably in Govt. size as well.
With the best loads it's practically the same in effect as any other popular cartridge. In a platform that has had people hooked on for almost a century, so perfect many prefer it to the latest technologiacal marvel. All that and it feels like firing a .22 target pistol

I didn't even know Taurus made 1911's. Look priced right too, is their msrp much higher than actual price? Back in the day I remember them going for about what Rugers did.
Been trying to decide between a P7, Steyr M-9, a couple Glocks but this baby could make me forget all about those