Thoughts for 1911 fans?

5whiskey

Ok, so I know there are only a blue million people trying to get into the 1911 market, but I'm not really 1911 specific. The logo in the center is interchangeable, this was just the request from a customer. I have two questions. Would any of you be interested, and what would be a competitive price?

RickB

I wouldn't be interested, but if I saw custom or semi-custom grip that did interest me, I'd pay up to . . . $75, maybe?
My taste is more toward wood color and grain, than toward unique logos or patterns.

T. O'Heir

Only a blue million people in the 1911/A1 market for eons.
Herrett's prices start at $21.95. Double Diamond cocobolo grips runs $38.95.

Lohman446

I could see the 10MM crowd liking something along these lines. Though to me 1911 has to stay pretty traditional

ttarp

I think they look good, though they remind me of baseball mitts somehow, color of the wood? Dunno, can't explain that one.

At any rate, even though I like em, I like my current grips pretty well, and don't see myself buying another 1911 any time soon. If you made them for the scaled down browning .22's I might be interested though.

P71pilot

How does that checkering pattern bite? What kind of wood is it? I got my very nice hogue checkered goncalo alves for $38 and thought it was a good deal

5whiskey

The checkering doesn't really "bite" very much, but I designed it that way. This is Cherry wood (explaining the color).

My main scheme is offering the option of a custom logo, with or without the checkering, for a similar price to standard grips (around $30.00). I understand it is for some people, others not so much. After I finish each one I almost hate to engrave the checkering. Cherry wood is beautiful to me, and it seems like the wood grain is especially good looking on the last bit of cherry I ordered. With that being said, I certainly understand this...

My taste is more toward wood color and grain, than toward unique logos or patterns.

5whiskey said:
My main scheme is offering the option of a custom logo, with or without the checkering, for a similar price to standard grips (around $30.00).
Every time I have tried any sort of custom pattern grips on my 1911 I very quickly ask myself, "Why the heck did you waste money on that?" and then go back to "standard" double diamond checkered 1911 grips. So, no interest from here, I'm afraid.

That said, I think $30 is a good price point. Far too many grip sources seem to be awfully proud of their stuff. Back when it took a craftsman days to carve a single panel that might have been justified, but today they're cranking them out on a machine in a couple of minutes.

FWIW, the holes for the grip screws and bushings don't look right. Doesn't seem like there's enough shoulder inside the holes. They should be tight fit (almost a press fit) on the bushing, and a slightly tight fit on the screws. There should be a very distinct shoulder. If there isn't, what shoulder there is will soon be crushed and the grips will be useless. I know at least one custom grip maker who puts a tiny metal (copper, I think) ring in there to alleviate crushing of the shoulder.

5whiskey

Back when it took a craftsman days to carve a single panel that might have been justified, but today they're cranking them out on a machine in a couple of minutes.

Funny you mention this... these are cut out by hand with a scroll saw, drilled with a manual drill press, shaped on a belt/disk sander, stained by hand, engraved with a laser engraver (that's my one "automated" process), and finally coated with lacquer. I have about an hour and half of labor in each pair, so I'm not making a killing at my price point. It's worth my time but I'm not getting rich.

As an aside, I do as much other stuff with the engraver as I can and it can be quite profitable... if I can get better at marketing :eek:

5whiskey

FWIW, the holes for the grip screws and bushings don't look right. Doesn't seem like there's enough shoulder inside the holes. They should be tight fit (almost a press fit) on the bushing, and a slightly tight fit on the screws. There should be a very distinct shoulder. If there isn't, what shoulder there is will soon be crushed and the grips will be useless. I know at least one custom grip maker who puts a tiny metal (copper, I think) ring in there to alleviate crushing of the shoulder.

Both the screw and bushings fit tight. 15/64 for the bushing and 9/32 for the screw head. And holding it in the hand you can see a clear shoulder, but I see what you mean with the photo it does not look like there is much of a shoulder there. Camera angle?

psyfly

I believe you're right in that the marketing is the key.

You have a highly specific target market for this kind of thing.

I like the design, but, unless you can churn them out by at least the 10s, you're not going to get anything like rich, I'm afraid.

I will (and have) paid in the price range of $75 to $100 for specifically and custom designed (as in, my basic design with the artist's interpretation and subject to my approval) for a number of sets of grips with the family "crest" patterned for a special family event celebration. The artist did a fine job, but I don't, for the life of me, know where she'll sell any more:

attachment.php

The artist incorporated the family design into the grip but the multiplication was done on CNC machinery.

Best wishes for an outlet for your talent.

w