Thought on a IDPA target

chris in va

In real life, an active shooter will be three dimensional. Are there any IDPA targets shaped more like a box, for those side shots? You could still have various A-C-D and head zones.

This is all I could find.

Last edited:

MrBorland

Neat idea, but the main problem I see in actual IDPA competition is how to set them up so that the front is exposed while not increasing the potential for breaking a muzzle safe point when going for a side shot.

Jim Watson

There is no officially recognized IDPA 3D target of any sort.

The balloon target has been used in some training and no doubt in some form of competition. Its main flaw is that it is slow to reset unless you have a lot of pre-inflated balloons to work with.

g.willikers

This type of target would be more suited to training than competition.
Too slow to set up for the next competitor, with too many variables and opportunities for the competitors to complain about.
And by the time the sanctioning body approved of it, we'd all die of old age.

RickB

I've seen the standard target mounted on uprights closer together than normal, so the target takes a sort of half-cylindrical look. The targets were actually paper "practice" targets, and not the official IDPA target, but it did provide for more of 3D look. You could put the bowed target over a flat cardboard target and score the latter?