thought I better put up a few pics of my latest quarter bore project...

thought I better throw up a couple pictures of the newest 25 ACP project... this is my Contender carbine 17" 25 ACP barrel... it's wearing a Vortex Diamond Back 4-12X scope...barrel is still in the white

for size comparison, here it is with my Ruger Scout rifle...

I tried 3 different powders ( BTW... we have had so much rain lately, like a lot of you guys have, & the mosquitoes are horrible... I was sitting in a cloud of them squirming & swatting )... I'm betting my groups could have been half the size sans mosquitoes ??? anyway... my suspicions appear correct that the Unique did not meter well in the lil dandy, as there was a noticeable difference in report from shot to shot, as well as vertical stringing... the targets were all shot at 25 yards... the shorter distance due to the fact that I was doing initial scope sighting... I had intentions of pulling out the chrony, but the horrible mosquitoes changed my mind for that morning >:D

AA#5 had the best group...

with W-231 a very close 2nd ( with the mosquitoes... I think further testing at increased distance is warranted with both #5 & 231 )

BTW... just in case you missed it, this is the companion rifle to my 25 ACP revolver... an 8 shot stainless Blackhawk...

Hawkeye_FH

I really like this. The idea of replacing .22lr with a round that you can reload for is very cool. Thanks for sharing!

TigerBight

25 apc

Who built the 25 apc barrel. I have been wanting one for several years. MGM has it listed but Temporarily Unavailable.

SRH78

This is an interesting idea. I am curious what kind of ballistics the 25 produces from longer barrels?

Buzzard Bait

Interesting

I would guess all the powder is burnt in the cylinder before the bullet enters the barrel and that you could seat the bullet much farther out of the case for some more capacity are you using cast bullets?
bb

I was going to suggest ballistic by the inch as a starting point... but I can better use slower powders & likely get a little more velocity out of the Contender, than I'd likely get with factory ammo... I can also load on the hotter side if I wanted to, than the lil factory auto guns would function well with, though the case capacity is the limiting factor in these guns with this cartridge... the revolver is probably closer to the ballistics by the inch, because of the barrel / cylinder gap...

for small game, I'm not thinking about this from a hot rodder's point of view... it is extremely quiet, & pleasant to shoot at just under the speed of sound, & the heavier than 22 LR bullets put out about the same energy as the LR, in a quieter package

The barrel was made by my retired tool & die buddy... he was machining the bases & threading them, the barrel uses a liner & was then threaded into the barrel base...

unfortunately, I haven't had much time for shooting lately, so I still have put a chronograph with either of these 2 guns yet... but both have scored on some pesky red pine squirrels since I 1st posted this thread...

yes, I've shot some home cast & well as some factory lead bullets in both of these & they work quite well... but I have several 1000 of the factory FMJ bullets that I picked up cheaply, & for the cost, they are easier for a guy short on time

Last edited: