Those up-to-speed on the PitBull?

VictorLouis

Alrighty then. At a recent show, I saw BOTH 6-shot, AND 5-shot PitBulls in 9mm. The OEM website only mentions the 6-shot configuration. Net research has indicated some teething issues with that pattern, but not a deal-breaker(for me).

Does anyone know if the 5-shot is a supplemental model, or perhaps a "product-improved" replacement for the 6-rounder?

Real Gun

I have the 6 shot Pitbull and understand that it has been discontinued in favor of the 5 shot, I believe due to problems with the unique ejector system (no moon clips).

VictorLouis

I wonder what would be the difference that would make the 5-shot better? Hmmm. Hope someone else has some inside-baseball scoop. :p

weblance

I spoke to Nick Ecker at Charter. The 5 shot 9mm Pitbull is supposed to fix the problems that the 6 shot had with extracting fired casings. He didn't elaborate what the thinking was, but I suppose 5 are easier to extract as opposed to 6. My 6 shot 9mm Pitbull will only easily extract brass casings. Steel is a real problem, and aluminum takes a good whack on the ejector rod. I think going to a 5 shot is a step backwards, but if it makes the Pitbull user friendly, then that's probably better for sales. I simply use brass cased ammo, and have no problems with that.

Real Gun

I have the 6 shot Pitbull. I suspect that when reduced to 5 shot, the extractor star has more of a wrap around on the case head. I shoot my own reloads so far and haven't routinely been sticking cases. Store bought may be hotter and cause more of the stuck cases. It is actually a PITA when the extractor leaves a case behind, then stuck behind the extractor. That would be a serious reliability issue if used as a carry gun, but the likelihood of needing or even possessing a reload would not be high, seems to me.

weblance

I suggested to Nick that they should go ahead with their plan to reduce the capacity to 5 in the 9mm Pitbull, but offer a 6 shot 9mm moon clip Pitbull. I thought that would be ideal, as there are no small defensive 6 shot 9mm moon clip revolvers, and if people wanted a rimless revolver that didn't use moon clips, then the new 5 shot 9mm Pitbull would be available for them.

The Charter Arms .38 Special Police Undercover is a 6 shot small frame, actually the only other 6 shot Charter makes, so development is already done on a standard 6 shot revolver, all that would be needed would be a slightly different chamber in the cylinder, and a moon clip from a supplier like TK Customs, or the like.

He stated they have no interest in a moon clip revolver

weblance

JERRYS said:
I'm content with 5 shots of .44spl in the same sized gun.

Im sure many people are... but for those who don't reload, the 44 Special is cost prohibitive, unless you don't shoot it. Ammo is hard to find, and expensive. Sure, you can find ammo online, but then when you add shipping, you still have ammo that is $1 a shot.

9mm is cheap, and available. Its also reasonably powerful, powerful enough to get the job done from a 2" barrel.

Carmady

"The Charter Arms .38 Special Police Undercover is a 6 shot small frame..."

Since when? The Stratford made 6-shot .38s were made on the Bulldog frame.

9x18_Walther

Im sure many people are... but for those who don't reload, the 44 Special is cost prohibitive, unless you don't shoot it.

Try finding big-name factory .44 Special plinking ammunition that isn't LFN.

I don't buy ammunition from little ammunition companies, but .44 Special is an exception I would make. .44 Special JSPs cost as much if not more than .44 Magnum.

JERRYS.

if I didn't have a co-worker that reloads .44 special (240gr. SWC @ 850 fps) I wouldn't own the bulldog, unless it was a shoot once a year and stash it kind of gun.