those that have never been to war, would you be scared?

2002gti

i sure would. im thankfull ive never had to fight for my life. i cant imagine walking through the jungles of vietnam, that is suicide fer sure.

knightkrawler00

Absolutley. The closest I have been to battle has been with paintball guns. Even though you know that you will get to walk away at the end of the day, you still get the adrenaline running. It's hard to imagine the feelings one has when the rounds coming will kill you, also not knowing where the next BG is hiding.

With that said, if I wasn't married, I would have signed up a while ago and already been to Iraq or Afganistan. If the draft does get reinstated, I will not fight it, I will go and do my duty.

Jbar4Ranch

If you ain't scared, totally scared ****less, then you ain't normal. Eighteen year old kids went off to Vietnam, and came back 13 months later as old men. You will see, smell, and experience things in war that a civilian could not possibly begin to conjure up in their very worst nightmares.

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
It is said that for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

As one of the protected, and one who savors the flavor of freedom, I cannot begin to imagine how those who fought for freedom feel about it. I know that the intensity of emotion that I experience when I consider what it means to be free is amazing. To have an even more intense feeling about freedom must border on overwhelming.

To all those who have served and who are serving today, you have my enduring gratitude. :)

Thanks!

-Dave

nemesis

Brave men are not without fear. They are burdened with the fear that we all have, they keep their fear from controlling them.

MTMilitiaman

Scared doesn't even begin to describe it. I would be terrified beyond description, but should hope that with the proper training and a good group of guys behind me, I should be able to overcome it and perform my duty.

croyance

Sure, I don't even know why experience in war would keep me from being scared. Seeing and smelling people dead, maimed, and in pieces isn't something a person should get too used to.
Brave men are not without fear. They are burdened with the fear that we all have, they keep their fear from controlling them.
Exactly. In fact, if they weren't feeling any fear, they would not be really brave. If a person has a reason to be afraid of the situation and feels fear, they are being brave. Otherwise it is something they don't feel will endanger them.

J. Scott

I can only imagine,Terrified is probably more like it. I don't know what other reaction a sane person should have. A u-boat commander once said something like... during a depth charge attack, fear makes the athiest pray to God.

This seems like a fitting place... To all of you who have served or are serving now in the armed forces. THANK YOU!!!

Wallew

To all our MEN & WOMEN in the all the services, including police AND firemen, THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART.

Yes, I too would be scared sh@tless! I would do my duty, but probaly woulnd't sleep until I got home. Or at least not sleep well, kind of with one eye open.

Having said all of the above, yes I've done the paintball thing. However, as a YUTE, me and several friends used to 'play war' with BB GUNS. I know, I know, STUPIDITY CUBED. For some strange reason, the worst any of us got were welts. No head shots. It just never occured to us. Hey, I was 13 at the time. That would make it about 1966.

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE AND CONTINUE TO SERVE. Especially our Vietnam Vets, who NEVER REALLY got the homecoming they deserved.

Of course I would be scared. That's entirely normal. BTW, check out Rambling Anecdotes in the Black Powder Forum. I put a post in there about a dream a Confederate soldier had about Pickett's Charge. He survived and a few weeks later, dreamed about that very battle. It's erie.

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
I'd be scared, yes, but imagine those men who carried out that charge, Gary. They had to know what kind of meat grinder they were going to rush into. Those men would have faced a firing squad if they'd been ordered to do so.

k_dawg

My grandfather was one of the first airbourne into Normandy. His job was to place drop-zone beacons for the main airbourne assault.

To me, that would be the most terrorizing.. deploying in limited numbers, in a highly-secured enemy line.. without knowing if any backup/relief would make it. A suicide mission if there ever was one!

As he put it, everyone was scared.. you just have to not allow it to control you. He said the worst was flying in. The waiting.. not having any control. But, once you jump.. you now control your destiny, and things are happening too fast to be worried about being scared.

MHDIsHere

My Dad was USMC, WW II, South Pacific, Iwo Jima among other places. He also won a Silver Star. He told me that if anyone ever told me he was in combat and wasn't scare to stay away from him, he was either a liar or insane. I've kept that advice.

To answer your question, I'd be afraid, I like to think I wouldn't panic to the point I was incapable of doing my job, especially considering that doing my job is what's going to keep me alive.

moa

I have often heard guys "who have seen the elephant" say they were truly scared, but then that is often when their training kicks in and takes over. Good training seems to be key in controlling your fear.

patent

LOL. I was a little nervous about getting shot the first time I played paintball. I got over that quickly, but the real thing would be something else.

patent