Those 2" 6 shot .38 gone out of fashion

Carlo

I don't own one, but I'd like to, the concept appeals to me. In Italy, when I was in my twenties we made 3 Colt DS copies (Franchi, SAB, Uberti) and a S&W based 6 shots snub (Sauer license). Spain made 2: Astra 680 and Llama Scorpio. Czechs made the CZ Grand Model. You could buy Colt DS, Agent, Cobra, Diamondback or S&W 10, 12 and 15 in 2".
While I still don't really need one, I'm wondering if it's the case to buy one just to have it, because it doesn't seem the gun's coming back into production. Any suggestions as to which one is likely going to represent a best buy, for market price and durability? I'm tempted by the CZ, but I saw just one in years.

147 Grain

Not too many of the 6 shot 38 revolvers available any more. The Ruger LCR 38 Special snubnose is among the better selling handguns, along with the LCP, a small polymer framed pistol in 380 ACP. Snubnose revovers are still in style, but the compact 380 automatics are the cat's meow right now.

KyJim

I will limit my comments to Colt and SW since that's what I The steel SW K-frames (Models 10, 15) are not outrageously expensive like some of the Colt snubbies have become (in the U.S.). Service on the Colts will become more of a problem as time goes by because they are not being made anymore and they are more difficult to work on than Smiths.

The SW K-frames are a bit bigger than the Colts on your list but will hold up to +P ammo better (probably best not to shoot +P ammo through the Colts). All that said, I like my Colt Agent for carry better than my Smiths.

Colt_Agent_05.jpg

Jeff #111

I own a Colt Lawman Mk III snubbie (.357 magnum) and a 3rd Generation Colt Detective Special. Excellent revolvers. Strictly for my collection though. I shoot them a couple times a year with mild loads.

I intend to add a S&W Model 10 or Model 15 snubbie to my collection one day, but right now I have a line on a very nice 2nd generation Colt Detective Special (mfd. 1965) which I plan to put into my safe very soon.

I'm a big Smith & Wesson revolver fan, but there is something about the Colt snubbies that appeal to me.

The six shot snubbies are great. They are also very collectible. It seems that in the world of revolver collectors the specimens with the shortest and the longest barrels are the most desirable.

And that is why most of my revolvers have 4 inch, 5 inch and 6 inch barrels.

Carlo

I just saw that Charter Amrs has in line the updated version of the Police Undercover, which is a 6 shots .38; how good is it?
Besides, I wish that at Sturm Ruger they enlarged the sp101 frame a bit, to make a 6 shots .38 snub. If the sp101 can digest .357 mags, it shouldn't be too much of a challege to make it difest an extra round of the quiter cartridge...

Chesster

I still like the smaller six shot 38s but you have to mostly beat the used market to find them. Here are a few of mine. The Charter Police Bulldog is not up to a Detective Special Colt but can be had for about half the price on the used market as they are older production from the 1980s. I believe they were designed for +p loads but I only shoot standard pressure Federal Nyclad for carry and the 130 FMJ stuff for range. I've had no problems with my Charter 'dogs.

pocket6b.jpg

doc540

Maybe I missed something, but why wouldn't you just buy one of the hundreds of Colts available out there in gun-sale land?

Plentiful and not expensive

spacecoast

A K frame S&W snub .38 special like a Model 10 is a joy to shoot and easy to shoot well compared to a J frame. Maybe not the best for concealability but it makes a great car or nightstand gun.

Rifleman1776

The two incher will always have a place for carry.
Reliable, compact and many on used market at very affordable prices.
And, did I say "reliable"?

Edit: and BTW, IMHO, the .38 spl. is plenty adequate for personal defense.

Jeff #111

doc540:

Maybe I missed something, but why wouldn't you just buy one of the hundreds of Colts available out there in gun-sale land?

Plentiful and not expensive

The original poster lives in Italy. Besides the fact that Italy's gun laws are pretty restrictive I would bet that over there Colt Detective Specials aren't that plentiful or affordable.

Dave Chuppa

Carlo, I would find out what I could about what is at hand in Italy. I then would buy what I could afford before they are not available anymore. Revolvers are my favorite. I like their looks and I just like the mechanics of their operation. My 2" carry Guns are 5 shot 357s and One is a 7 shot 357. To get around a revolvers limited capacity I, carry 2 or 3 Revolvers.

Ship Ahoy

Here's a pic of my two wheel guns.

A Ruger Security Six and a S&W 442.

I probably carry the S&W 5 shot more than any other gun because it's so small. It has a Pachyderm grip.

4.jpg

Webleymkv

While six-shot snub .38's may be out of vouge, six-shot snub .357's are still available. S&W still catalogs the 686 with a 2 1/2" barrel. Also, Armscor still makes a copy of the Colt Detective Special although I can't comment on their quality (I've never owned or shot one).

EarlFH

The new Charter Police Undercover, is a six shot +P rated, revolver, based on the 44 Bulldog frame. It is about the size of the DS. Brand new, they are going for $350 in my area. I've been looking at getting one of them myself. I have two other Charter pistols, and wouldn't hesitate to get another one. I've had zero problems with them.:D

EarlFH

MikeNice81

Taurus makes the 856 six shot .38spl. The Hylte version is not rated for +p. I have handled two in the store. I will reserve judgement for those with more experience.

doc540

"The original poster lives in Italy. Besides the fact that Italy's gun laws are pretty restrictive I would bet that over there Colt Detective Specials aren't that plentiful or affordable."

Hey, you don't have to inject logical facts into my clueless discussions.:eek:

Eagle0711

You might want to check out Chiappa Rino .357 mag. in Nov 2011 Combat Handguns. There is an evaluation by Dave Spalding. It's a different looking beast 6 shot 2" revolver made in Italy. It shoots from the 6 o' clock position on the cyl. for a low bore axis.

More can be found at chiappafirearms.com or 877-925-4867.