Thompson Center Contender Pistol Question.

Saab1911

Can the T/C Contender chambered for 357 magnum shoot 38 special?
Can it shoot 9x19? I know that the diameter of 9x19 is slightly smaller than
.357"

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Cheers,

Jae

darkgael

Not 9X19

"Can it shoot 9x19? I know that the diameter of 9x19 is slightly smaller than
.357"

It cannot shoot the 9X19. In addition to having a different diameter bullet, the 9X19 case has a different construction (rimless) and headspaces on the case mouth as opposed to the rim as does the .357/.38Spl.
Pete

Sevens

It's not really the bullet diameter that makes the difference... afterall, the Ruger Blackhawk convertible can fire both calibers, but you have to swap cylinders to be able to do it. Of course, I've heard of erratic or unpredictable accuracy from the 9mm out of a Ruger. But yes... it is the chamber that won't let you run 9mm in the .357 Mag Contender barrel.

Worth noting is that T/C either does or has offered both .357 Mag and 9mm barrels for the Contender, so they are out there. Of course, anyone familiar with the Contender legend knows that you can have a barrel custom made in almost any caliber on earth. And if it's too big or punishing for a Contender, the Encore can handle it.

I love my Contender, but I've never understood why they even produced a barrel in 9mm. Now I'm not bashing 9mm, it's definitely got it's place and history in modern times, but in a long barreled single shot-- why? Everything in the world that is good about a 9mm has to do with do a (relatively) lot in a small space, allowing a semi-auto pistol to carry a heap of rounds and in particular, the overall small size of the round allows them to build small pistols. I just don't get 9mm in a 10, 12 or 14 inch single shot handgun.

Does anyone have any insight? Or was this simply, "people will buy a few, so we'll make some."

Saab1911

Sevens said:
Worth noting is that T/C either does or has offered both .357 Mag and 9mm barrels for the Contender, so they are out there.

I cannot find the Contender chambered in 9mm on Thompson Center web-site.
That's why I was confused. I heard mentioned 9x19 version of Contender.
I guess that chambering just wasn't popular enough.

Smaug

Well, the Contenders were designed as hunting handguns, and 9x19 is just not a hunting caliber. Neither is 38 Special.

Best bet for a lighter load would be mild handloads in 357 cases, with the bullet seated right up next to the rifling. (for accuracy)

Sevens

I cannot find the Contender chambered in 9mm on Thompson Center web-site.
That's why I was confused. I heard mentioned 9x19 version of Contender.
I guess that chambering just wasn't popular enough.
Oh yeah, calibers come and go, some to return, others never to return. Run some searches on Gunbroker or Guns America and you can still find barrels in 9mm. Add in the custom barrel guys and there's almost nothing you can't find.

If it was not popular, I can see why for reasons I mentioned above. Although, I could see some folks wanting a 9mm barrel for the purpose of reaming the chamber and shooting all the other 9mm calibers that have come along recently.

Saab1911

Thanks darkgael.

By the way, is this the absolute worst logo that you ever saw? :eek: Somebody is obssessed with beans and franks.

bblogohz.gif

44 AMP

Staff
I got this one at a gun show a few years back

Picture183.jpg

The short barrel (in the wood forearm) is 9mm Luger (9x19mm), and is 6". I bought it because I wanted a T/C barrel for all of my handgun calibers. I'm not there yet, but I do have 9mm, .357mag (.38 Spl), .44 Mag (.44 Spl), .45 Colt/.410, .22LR, and a .22 Hornet. I would like to find a 6" .45ACP barrel, but I am not looking real hard right now. Maybe by Christmas...

The 9mm barrel is neat. It lets my plink with my Contender using my 9mm ammo, I don't have to go chasing down the fired brass, and it is the most accurate 9mm "handgun" I have ever found. The break action short barrel (6") kind of makes you want to go "Arrrr, repel boarders!!". The only things it isn't is easily concealable, or fast on follow up shots!;)

K.W.

I have T/C Contender and T/C G2 with barrels .22 Hornet 10", 9mm Luger 10" and .357 Rem Maximum 14". All barrels are scoped with pistol scopes ofcourse.
I like 9mm barrel and reload for it 125gr bullets from 850fps to 1600fps. For .357 Rem Max barrel I have silencer. I reload subsonics for it with 200gr copper plated resitzed cast bullets.
Ofcourse I have Dan Wesson .357 Super Mag = Rem Maximum.

K.W.
"junior member" I am next month 70 years using many years already hearing aid because too much gunshots during 56 years.

I, like 44 AMP... like to have a Contender barrel in everyone of my other available calibers... ( I don't have a 9mm barrel currently though )

as mentioned, the "auto" cartridges headspace on the case mouth, rather than the rim, so unlike the 357 / 38 special or 44 mag / 44 special, you can't shoot shorter auto cartridges than chambred in auto chambered barrels...

I.E. I had a 10" - 10 mm auto barrel, & at the time, had no gun in that caliber ( I've since remedied that situation )... but I did / do have an Automag 4 in 10mm Magnum... so I had the barrel reamed to chamber 10mm Magnum... now a regular 10mm auto cartridge would slide in about a 1/4" too far into the chamber for the firing pin to strike the primer... I'll have to find another 10mm barrel to shoot regular 10mm in the Contender

robhof

robhof

If you shoot 38's in your 357 barrel; you'll have to really scrub the chamber portion of your barrel to be sure you don't get a carbon ring at the end of the 38 area as this will result in hard chambering of 357's. I have the same problem when I fire 357's in my 357max barrel.

K.W.

You must to start reloading. Then you can to make .38spl and .357mag loads for you .357Rem max gun using its own cases.

Smaug

K.W. said:
You must to start reloading. Then you can to make .38spl and .357mag loads for you .357Rem max gun using its own cases.

+1 to that. There are so many advantages to reloading. I'll name a few of the biggies:

- Reduced ammo cost
- Increased accuracy
- Increased load options
- It is a hobby that quickly pays for itself
- It is a way to be involved in shooting even when you're not at the range or fantasizing about defending yourself.

I plan to buy a Contender for my next pistol. After reading Illinois' handgun hunting rules, I'd decide on the caliber.