Thompson 45 semiauto ?

Hammer1

Where does the semiautomatic Thompson 45 carbine fit into the big scheme of things ?

Is it just a curiosity for the fellow who already has two or more of everything useful ?

Or does the Thompson 45 have a self-defense purpose that in certain scenarios makes it superior to a shotgun or AR-15 ?

A friend has one with both 50-round drum and 30-round stick magazines.

Similar price as a new AR-15.

Sometimes I'm tempted...

44 AMP

Staff
After decades of dreaming...

I finally got one a few years back. OMG that thing is freaking heavy! Around 12lbs, empty!

It is a fun plinker, mine is very accurate (five shot one hole group@25yds) and I can hit the 200yd gong on the range with it, using the ladder sight!

Great visual impact. Virtually no recoil. Closest thing I can have to real Tommygun (semi auto, longer barrel, but hey, close, and nowhere near as expensive!)

The inside parts of the semi auto are not the same, as the FA parts, and FA parts will not fit inside the receiver.

It is a practical as any .45acp carbine, except for the tremendous weight. And it has all the ergonomic drawbacks of the SMG, awkward magazine insertion, poorly positioned safety, etc. The bolt will hold open after the last shot from the stick mags, but not from the drum. It is designed that way. Due to the changes done to make it a semi auto, changing the drum mag is very awkward, and requires a "third hand" tool that comes with the drum, to hold the bolt open.

Trigger pull is long, mushy and heavy. After a few dozen rounds you feel like using two fingers! But, with care, and practice, you can shoot well, even with the poor trigger.

The gun is not as useful as an AR. Part of that is the caliber, and the rest is the size and weight. However, it is a piece of history (as near as the law, and economics allows most of us), and great fun.

I wouldn't pay new retail for one, the price is too much. But if you can find one used (and usually the used ones haven't been used much) for $600 or so, (like I did) its a better value. remember only the 1927A1 will take the drum, the M1 variation will not.

If you are looking at having only one, and using it for defense, the Tommygun isn't the best choice, due to the cost, and the weight. But, very little says "I mean business" without having to fire a shot like a Tommygun!

Oh, by the way, the springs are gorilla strong, some folks have trouble cocking the gun. If you do, grow stronger!:D And holding that thing up is one way to do it!

Also be advised that stock GI Tommygun stick mags will not work in the semi auto either. The have to be modified, as the mag catch is about 1/4" off, due to the receiver changes done to prevent using FA parts to convert it.

I like mine, but its a range toy and plinker. There are lots of more "practical" guns out there, many cheaper. But it is really cool!;)

bobn

i have shoot both the deluxe and the m1 version. as stated both are heavy. the biggest drawback for me was the difficulty loading and unloading. inserting magazines was troublesome too. i felt my plastic berratta carbine was handier and a m4forgery was better yet.
...however the accuaracy, the fun factor and the history connnection make it one cool gun, fwiw bobn.

brian45auto

i would say stick with standard 45acp loads.

if you're going to use usgi mags, modify the mag catch on the gun, not the mags. it's only a matter of dremeling 0.125" off the top of it.
some of the mags can be worth a bunch in themselves.....as long as they have not been mangled.

44 AMP

Staff
The manual recommends only 230gr FMJ

I have fired mine with 230gr LRN, 225gr LSWC, and even hot loaded 185/200gr JHP, without problems with functioning.

However, since the action is a blowback (albeit massively built with strong springs), I cannot and will not recommend shooting any +p or "super" level loads. Do so at your own risk. I would also expect doing so to void the factory warranty.

The 1927A1 shares all the ergonomic flaws of its SMG ancestor. Remember that these gun designs are early, if not quite first generation, designs. All later designs (especially farily modern ones such as the AR and Beretta) are easier to use, as they should be.

Inserting the mag requires both lining up the rib on the mag spine with the groove in the reciever, and often holding the release lever open, as well. This is definately not a gun you can slap the mag into and play.

The idea of modifying the mag catch has merit, wish I had thought of it. However, once done, the gun would likely not work with mags modded for the semi auto. I have three 30rnd sticks (nicely blued) set up for the semi auto, and would not care to render them useless. Now that I think on it, it might be possible to simply replace the "civilian" mag catch with a GI one? I will have to research this. If possible, that would be the best way to go. I have 9 GI mags that I havent gotten around to modifying yet (some blued, some parkerized). I will let you know what I find out, when I do.

brian45auto

the mag catches are the same. the oem catch is to usgi spec.
the mag sits lower due to the frame/receiver being lower.
the mag tops out on the receiver, while the catch keeps it up tight. so only the top side of the catch is making contact with the mag.
been awhile since i bought chopper mags, but there was a time when they could be had for 20-30 bucks depending on weither or not they are 20 or 30 rders.......i preffer the 20 round sticks....they look better in the gun.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
makes sense

Since the difference is in the frame, changing or even modifying the catch wouldn't work then would it? So we are left with modding the GI mags as the only way to get them to work with the semi auto gun, right?

brian45auto

no.
modifying the mag catch is the way to go.
the above picture is of the trimmed mag catch. it's a matter of removing roughly an 0.125"(1/8") of an inch from the upper side of the catch.
once the catch is done, there is no need to alter mags agian.

Dfariswheel

No.

You have the choice:
1. Buy factory mags or alter surplus mags.
2. Alter the magazine catch so it will work with unaltered surplus mags.

amprecon

I would just love to be able to get my hands on a fully-auto M1A1 Thompson. No other sub-gun garners as much of my respect as it does. I remember watching some gun show where a LEO chose the Thompson over any other subgun available. I got to shoot one in Houston and it was a hoot, but it does it no justice shooting it at an indoor range.
It's just one awesome weapon, an American Icon. I have no desire for a semi version.

44 AMP

Staff
I have no desire for a semi version.
So, why did you post?:confused:

I would love one of the registered FA Thompsons too. I have shot them (and many other SMGs) and they are great. Unfortunately, both state law, and the huge pricetag prohibit me. The semi auto is the closest I can get.