This years primary elk rifle!

taylorce1

Here is the rifle I hope to take my elk with this year. I will be carrying my .30-06 as back up but I'll be hunting a lot in dark timber and this little rifle is just begging to be used.
dsc0796.jpg

dsc0802.jpg

dsc0800.jpg

dsc0801.jpg

I will be adding this Rice peep sight to the bolt and I do have a new safety on order. This rifle was missing the safety when I purchased it. I've got the load that will hold 2" at 100 for three rounds, hoping this sight will get them a little tighter.

dsc0810.jpg

.30-40 Krag loaded with 180 Grain Hornady RN, just the RX for Elk!

dsc0805.jpg

cornbush

That looks like an enjoyable hunt no matter what happens. I think the Krag is underated as an effective elk cartridge. It doesn't shoot like a laser or knock hippos over with a near miss:eek:, but sure does get the job done. Good luck, and enjoy.

Swampghost

Nice! I also have one and it's a wonderful piece, a tad much for this far So.

corn, check the old 1K yd. target records. The Krag took it away from the 45-70 and succumbed to the 1903 Springfield. It DID have its moment in the sun.

taylorce1

Nice looking rifle, and good luck.
When deer season is over, I plan on taking mine out looking for bear. Ended up keeping mine taylorce

I remember looking at yours when you wanted to trade. If it hadn't been D&T for a scope I might have talked you out of yours. I found this one not too long after your rifle was on the market. This one might get restored someday, but right now I'm going to enjoy it as a shooter!

Scorch

Yeah! You'd better just hope it doesn't tick off the elk, or bounce back and put your eye out! ;)

Nice Krag, taylorce1! Sounds like a retro hunt, fer sure.

taylorce1

You know good and well you can't kill an elk without a super magna hyper blitz magnum and a 50 MM scope.

Hoping the elk is of the fainting variety, that way when the rifle goes bang it falls over, and I can sneak up and use my knife!:D

I know it is a little slow but she should do the job, as long as I do.;) Thinking of adding a base and scout scope in QR rings to that little rib the buckhorn sits on after this season is over. I think a Leupold FXII 2.5X Scout scope would look great on this little carbine.

simonkenton

Beautiful rifle! That ought to do the job! I would love to have a Krag-Jorgensen.
When you say you will carry a 30-06 for back up, do you mean that you will carry both rifles into the field?

taylorce1

When you say you will carry a 30-06 for back up, do you mean that you will carry both rifles into the field?

No I will not be carrying the 06 at the same time. However, I'll be hunting at least a six hour drive from home. Anytime I travel to hunt more than an hour from the house I usually throw an extra rifle in just to be on the safe side. If I can't get within my comfortable shooting range of an elk my first few days, I'll switch over to my 06 to get the job done.

koolminx

Nice Krag, taylorce1! Sounds like a retro hunt, fer sure.

I agree again! Don't forget to wear some nice red & black plaid under your hunter safety colors... :) Maybe a floppy corduroy hat with the built in ear muffs :)

mikejonestkd

Fantastic rifle, my dad always tells stories about the one he had as a young man. Thanks for sharing pics of yours and let us know how it works out for you.